11 replies to this topic

#1 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

Hey guys,

I just recently (less than 500 km on rebuilt engine) got my bike back from the shop and last Saturday it all of a sudden started running very rich to the point of dumping raw fuel down the exhaust.  Now it is running on only one cylinder.  I have plenty of spark and the gap is correct.  I have also tried running some Seafoam through the tank with no luck.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Ted

#2 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

Also, does anyone know if there is something wrong with the Soviet Steeds website?  I have been having difficulties logging on and re-registering.  Thanks.

#3 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like some crud got into the carb preventing the float valve from properly closing.
Look there first.
~RN

#4 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

How difficult is it to take the carb apart and clean it up?  Looking at the Myural.com website, it doesn't look all that problematic.  Perhaps a whole new rebuild on it would cure the problem.

#5 shoetou

shoetou

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:riding my MT16, hunting fishing ,

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

dump the Russian needle and use a kholer one that will also help
Marko

2008 Dnepr mt 16 true year any body's guess

There is more to life than increasing its speed
__ Mahatma Gandhi ___

if only the mt 16 could go 50 mph

I think a good name for my MT 16 is (the bad girl) every body wants to ride her but nobody wants to take her home )

1980 Harley Davidson wide glide work in process to restore
2004 Harley sportster
2002 Honda A.C.E.
2014 Indian Chieftain
2013 Honda BIG RED

#6 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

Just remove the bottom of the float chamber (4 screws?) for access to the float-operated needle valve. I've even done that with the carb still mounted on the engine. 'Just had to lie on my back to peer up inside. Although a mirror worked better the next time...
~RN

#7 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

I pulled the carb off today and sprayed some carb cleaner through it.  remounted it and it still wants to back fire and not want to run right.  I am at the verge of frustration with this machine.  I'm beginning to wonder if explosives wouldn't help the situation.

#8 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Backfiring usually means valve adjustment is required.
The valve may be staying open too long allowing combustion back through the carb.
Check those valves again. They are the most dynamic part of the engine that are likely to change with operation.
~RN

#9 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

I checked the valve adjustment and they are within specs.  I guess I get to take a trip out to western South Dakota this weekend.

#10 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:31 PM

Took Natasha to the shop this weekend.  It was supposed to be an out and back trip of one day.  Nothing is ever so simple however.  The service manager looked over my bike and asked me if I had done anything to the pilot jet screws.  I didn't even touch them and yet, somehow, on their very own, they screwed themselves in so tight that no gas was getting through.  Not only that, they were screwed in so tight that when the mechanic attempted to back them out, they broke.  

Now, can someone tell me how that could have happened?  Can someone possibly tell me how those little screws could tighten themselves that tight?  My first thought is that somebody deliberately got down on their pathetic back, pulled out a screwdriver, and then torqued those screws down very tightly.

#11 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

Or Thought they were something they are Not...Like bowl screws.

#12 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

It isn't an issue any longer as I traded Natasha off for Anastasia, the Grey Ghost.  EFI does have its benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users