• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:43 PM

It was in the mid 60s here today so we took advantage of the weather and took the Ural out for a ride. It started right up and ran flawlessly the whole trip. We finished the trip by stopping by to top up the tank and pick up some carryout supper. I'll be glad when summer gets here.

At Double Tollgate we spotted another Ural, an olive drab Patrol, turning to head towards Stephens City. That's the first time I've encountered another Ural around here.

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Vance:
'Glad to hear you got out on your Ural, and that it cooperated nicely! I hope this is an indication of good things ahead for you two, this year.

We've had our Ural out and about a bit last week, after the snows melted. Both bikes fire right up and run just fine. Although the Wolf needs some electrical trouble shooting to get the head light to stay on! 'Should take me just a few minutes to diagnose and fix.

Now that I've got my Oregon drivers license, I can get both bikes registered in this state. That's coming soon, assuming the snows don't return. Of course, that's entirely possible...
~RN

#3 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

Got the 2003 Wolf's head light working consistently.
It was the ubiquitous undocumented Ural inline fuse! These are not shown on the wiring schematics, at least for my years of Urals ('98, '03, & '07)

Most Urals have those hiding in the headlight bucket, but the Wolf has too small a bucket for anything other than the light. I found the fuse back by the battery, behind the frame bar and under the seat. Not obviously visible. Of course I had to drain and remove the gas tank to see this.

The screw-housing was slightly loose, preventing full contact with the Russian version of the VW-style fuse inside. I may replace both the fuse and the housing, just to increase reliability. Or not.
~RN

#4 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

I use weatherproof blade fuse holders (the GM style fuse that they almost all use now) for any connections not inside the headlight bucket. Means I have to carry 2 types but so far in 12 years I've never had a blade fuse fail.

#5 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostVance Blosser, on 22 February 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

I use weatherproof blade fuse holders (the GM style fuse that they almost all use now) for any connections not inside the headlight bucket. Means I have to carry 2 types but so far in 12 years I've never had a blade fuse fail.
Good advice, Vance. I may change that inline fuse to the blade style. I already made that conversion for the 4 main fuses, so I would end up with just one type of spare fuse to carry. Simple. Reliable. Headlights...
~RN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users