7 replies to this topic

#1 DesertMike1

DesertMike1

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

I sure could use some help.  I running a 2014 MIR with fi.  It's the same as the Patrol.  When it's cool the engine will not catch unless I give it a slight throttle, which I should do with fi.  When it does start, giving it throttle stalls.  After it is somewhat warm it runs but backfires.  After it is fully warm it runs well.  The dealer installed the latest map but had no answers.  It also lacks power which I expected, but cruising at 65 mph and going up a slight incline, about 5 degrees I can barely maintain 45.  Any idea would be much appreciated.

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

First thought:
Make sure the valves are properly adjusted, the timing is properly set, and the fuel filters are clear.
That is the usual formula for carbed Urals.
~RN

#3 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

What you describe, is a lean mixture, richen up the idle, see if that improve things, if so a change to a larger main jet will also improve things. a note here, is that a very slight air leak can lean it out significantly at idle, also you are risking a hole piston running that lean......Ken

#4 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

DesertMike1:
Did you solve your fuel injected bike's running issue? What was the solution?
'Hope you are having a Happy New Year,
~RN

#5 DesertMike1

DesertMike1

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

Still having the same cold start problem.  Most of the suggestions do far fit a carbureted rig.  Many of the suggestions don 't work on a fuel injection, like adjusting the idle etc.  Most of that is factory set and only accessible by changing the computer ignition map.  In November I had the latest map installed.  The dealer has no suggestion so I am hoping you guys can help.

#6 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

The Fuel Iinjection system adjusts the fuel mixture ratio using data from exhaust temperature and oxygen (?) sensors. If any of those "downstream" sensors are failing, the computer might provide the incorrect mixture. I'd be suspicious of this possibility.

Contact Jason Rae at IMWA. He was involved in the design and development of the Ural FI system, and might have useful insights for you to solve this.
http://imz-ural.com/
Under the CONTACT heading, you can send them a message. Be sure to state that your dealer has been unable to solve the problem, and that Jason was recommended as an excellent resource. You need your Ural RUNNING!!

Keep us posted, please.
~RN

#7 DesertMike1

DesertMike1

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

I just had my dealer thoroughly inspect my unit.  It appears that hard starting is a known issue with their fi.  The alternative is the off-road map which runs richer, races at idle and kills the mileage by a significant amount.  To compensate the idle speed was raised from 800 to a l,000 rpm using the stock map.  Bottom line is that it is normal to have to feed throttle to start.  Thanks for all the assistance.

#8 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

And thank you for sharing that info about the Ural F.I. system.
Go ride!
~RN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users