4 replies to this topic

#1 dowey

dowey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

I have been riding these machines for longer than i care to mention and love them with a passion! :)
After taking the plunge and buying a new 2015 gear up I was really excited to be taking it out for a decent spin.
Remembering the last time i bought a new Ural, in 2005, I was cautious and went over the bike, greasing, tightening, spraying and making sure it was ready. In 2005 I got 3 miles on my brand new bike before the circlip securing the driveshaft came off, leaving me at the side of the road with spanners in hand haha ...this time I took my new bike as far as 5 miles before rear brake seized. It had overheated and was quite easy to fix by raising the footpeg a little.
It is going to take a while getting used to these brakes and of course they have to wear in.
All in all i am enjoying the bike. I find it a little uneven in traffic in town but it evens out right away once the road opens up.
Has anyone else encountered some teething problems? Maybe some wee hints as to things i can do to avoid trouble :))

Cheers

Dowey
2005 ural
1992 dnepr mt11
2015 ural

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

Dowey:
Just follow the maintenance recommendations in the service manual.
That has served our Family well with the 5 Urals we've owned during the past 17 years. We still own 3 of them!

Too bad about the rear brake seizing. 'Sounds like your Ural knowledge is good, so you could figure out the foot peg position issue. That should have been set up properly by the dealer! I've had to make that same adjustment on several of our rigs.

I think you will enjoy the fuel injection. I find it remarkable how well the engine starts and runs immediately! So different from the carb'd engines.
Ride safe and please give us more reports.
~RN
Attached File  Joseph & Russ 2003.jpg   174.41K   3 downloads

#3 dowey

dowey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Cheers RN :)) ..there are a few wee design flaws with the new set up ..but none that can't be sorted.
The fluid reservoir for the sidecar brake is mounted in the way of the kickstart ..this won't be a problem in USA but just a little annoyance with left hand sidecar.
Hopefully taking it for a long haul next weekend :))
2005 ural
1992 dnepr mt11
2015 ural

#4 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:20 PM

View Postdowey, on 27 July 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

Cheers RN :)) ..there are a few wee design flaws with the new set up ..but none that can't be sorted.
The fluid reservoir for the sidecar brake is mounted in the way of the kickstart ..this won't be a problem in USA but just a little annoyance with left hand sidecar.
Hopefully taking it for a long haul next weekend :))
Ahh.
I had not recognized your "blackhead lighthouse" as a lefty location. I still don't know what country you are in! Geographic ignorance to the max.

Yea, that brake reservoir mounting is less than optimal. 'Will be interesting to learn how you deal with that.
Of course, with the electric start I never use the kick start!
~RN

#5 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:13 PM

View Postdowey, on 26 July 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

I have been riding these machines for longer than i care to mention and love them with a passion! :)
After taking the plunge and buying a new 2015 gear up I was really excited to be taking it out for a decent spin.
Remembering the last time i bought a new Ural, in 2005, I was cautious and went over the bike, greasing, tightening, spraying and making sure it was ready. In 2005 I got 3 miles on my brand new bike before the circlip securing the driveshaft came off, leaving me at the side of the road with spanners in hand haha ...this time I took my new bike as far as 5 miles before rear brake seized. It had overheated and was quite easy to fix by raising the footpeg a little.
It is going to take a while getting used to these brakes and of course they have to wear in.
All in all i am enjoying the bike. I find it a little uneven in traffic in town but it evens out right away once the road opens up.
Has anyone else encountered some teething problems? Maybe some wee hints as to things i can do to avoid trouble :))

Cheers

Dowey
I just brought home a 2015 Gear Up and you are right, it does run unevenly in town but once on the road and at speed, everything smooths out nicely with plenty of power.  I haven't yet had any issues with the brakes but I think I am having issues with the left turn signal.  I had the same issue with my 2013 model and it was nothing more than some corrosion and a loose nut on the left rear turn signal and I am thinking that it might be more of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users