24 replies to this topic

#16 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

So,  after collecting all the parts I needed to convert the sidecar from right hand side to left hand side,  I stumbled upon a man with a WW2 era BMW in the same left hand drive/2WD configuration as my bike........ With legal permission to use NSW roads under the Historic Vehicle Scheme. Soon after I stumbled upon 2 more people with the same BMW/Zundapp set up on the same scheme.
So I joined a vehicle club,  had a safety inspection completed on the bike and I'm done.
On the road, legal, legit, insured!
I get 60 days a year for personal use (more than 1 day per week!) plus any day my club has any sort of activity is legal and doesn't come off my 60 day tally!
And I get to keep the 2wd functionality! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

Wow! That solution was a long time coming.
Happy to hear you are On the Road Again.
~RN

#18 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:50 AM

It is beautiful!!
SB#3
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#19 harleych

harleych

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:56 AM

If you ride little more than 60 days per year, will your neighbour inform police? Or there is road TV computer counter?

#20 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:37 AM

Can't say for sure,  but the 60days personal use is a new law,  it was previously 5 days personal use! It's a 2 year trial so everyone is playing by the rules so it hopefully becomes a permanent feature.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

#21 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:14 AM

If everyone is playing by the rules, then how did a MT-16 get registered as a MV-650?

#22 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:27 AM

My import papers say it is an MB 650. Whether it is or not. With no other documentation to prove otherwise the RMS go off the import papers is what they told me.

#23 John pain

John pain

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hi my name is John and I read your post about rego in NSW of a right hand side car .
I also have this same model bike MB 650 but fortunately it was registered already in QLD
According to what I can find both QLD and SA have provision for right hand sidecars pre 1980 .
But Vic and NSW seem to make it very difficult to find out what is possible as far as older bikes are concerned , it's not clearly written down the way it is in SA .
So I was wondering how you got on and also to let you know there are a few of these bikes here and if you need any help finding parts etc send me an email .

#24 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

It's sort of easy once you know how! I'll send you a PM, it'll be easier to explain over the phone

#25 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostJohn pain, on 04 September 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

Hi my name is John and I read your post about rego in NSW of a right hand side car .
I also have this same model bike MB 650 but fortunately it was registered already in QLD
According to what I can find both QLD and SA have provision for right hand sidecars pre 1980 .
But Vic and NSW seem to make it very difficult to find out what is possible as far as older bikes are concerned , it's not clearly written down the way it is in SA .
So I was wondering how you got on and also to let you know there are a few of these bikes here and if you need any help finding parts etc send me an email .
Hi John,  never heard back from you via private message..... What it all came down to was finding someone at the RMS who was an historic vehicle enthusiat and was willing to put the time and effort in to find out exactly what the rules are surrounding this vehicle's left hand drive configuration and the laws surrounding the NSW Historic Vehicle Scheme. It took 4 separate trips to four different RMS offices to find someone who knew more than the basics and was willing to really put in alot of beyond the normal effort to help me get on the road. Essentially,  what it all boiled down to was 'is the vehicle's make and model in the existing RMS database of vehicles'. If so then its was as simple as a few mouse clicks and I was on my way. My model was in there,  as was MT 16, but they would not allow me to go against my import papers which stated it is an MB 650 - rightly or wrongly.
Also I am keen to get in touch with any of you here in Oz with these bikes as you say you know a few people, for ride,  exchange info, whatever.
And the bloke I bought my bike from is now on the hunt to get a hold of another Dnepr with sidecar now that his lifestyle is more conducive. So if you know of a sale let me know and I can pass the info on.
Thanks John.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dnepr MB650 NSW Rego, Dnepr NSW Rego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users