Request: Fuse Box picture needed (650cc)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 epix

epix

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Working on an electrical issue on my 97 Ural 650.. soon as I turn the key switch the top fuse blows.. I opened up the fuse box and it appears the top right screw is missing.. should there be a screw/wire there??

Also the wires on the right of the fuse box are a bit "burnt" looking... The headlight, running lights, instrument panel lights all work fine

Posted Image

edit:  Found this diagram online (appears to be to a 1992 Ural 650).. not sure if the diagram would be the same for a US model 98 650

Posted Image

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

Your electrical diagram shows why there is no screw in the upper-right hole:
That connection is made by a metal bar on the underside of the fuse block.  
The diagram shows that bar as a gray line.

A blowing fuse probably indicates worn insulation and a short to metal on those kill-switch and flasher circuits.
You should be able to trouble-shoot those with an Ohm meter.

The "burnt-looking" wires on the right side look like they got sprayed with black paint when someone did a little paint touch-up on the bike.
Let us know what you find to solve the fuse blowing.
~RN

#3 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

To help debug the wires you can remove the blown fuse and then use alligator clips to fasten a test light in it's place. The short will just light up the bulb when you turn the key on, and you can start wiggling connections etc. and if the light suddenly dims or goes out you have found the short. Note that even when all is right the bulb will glow some due to the load on the circuit.

With the bulb in place this will prevent melting wires etc. while you trace.

#4 epix

epix

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

UPDATE!!  Fuse box was correct, thanks for the info.

The short was caused by a frayed wire on the killswitch that was touching the handlebar.  I cut out the old wire and put in a new one.. Bike is up and running again :)

#5 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

View Postepix, on 30 March 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

UPDATE!!  Fuse box was correct, thanks for the info.

The short was caused by a frayed wire on the killswitch that was touching the handlebar.  I cut out the old wire and put in a new one.. Bike is up and running again :)
Another job well done!
~RN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users