• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

I don't think I will be able to come this year as much as I thought I would be able to. My kid's birthday is Sunday and my school's musical is Thursday through Saturday. Seeing that Ken was going to be there made it even harder to comprehend I may not show. If something changed to where I can I will. May just bring myself in the car for Friday night if nothing. Hope I can get there, but not looking good.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#17 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sidecars

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostKen Ulrich, on 10 April 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

I am not familar as to where the old Gilliam Mill is, could some one enlighten me, as to the address, and the approximate location  from sanford....Thanks much.....Ken

Ken,

Google Maps:
https://maps.google....&z=16&t=h&hl=en

or
Hwy 42 West, 4 miles west of Sanford. When you see the covered bridge, you're there.
2011 Ural Retro
1995/1979 Bural  Sportsman/R100
1988 HD FLHS/Watsonian Cambridge
1951 Servicar

1976 BMW R90/6 Motorvation Royale (Sold Aug 18, 2014)

#18 johnR

johnR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

View Postguzzidude, on 11 April 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

I don't think I will be able to come this year as much as I thought I would be able to. My kid's birthday is Sunday and my school's musical is Thursday through Saturday. Seeing that Ken was going to be there made it even harder to comprehend I may not show. If something changed to where I can I will. May just bring myself in the car for Friday night if nothing. Hope I can get there, but not looking good.
Matt, Hate to hear that....please come if you can!

#19 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

I found it, next question, can Fly fish in his pond?.....Ken

#20 johnR

johnR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostKen Ulrich, on 14 April 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

I found it, next question, can Fly fish in his pond?.....Ken
Yes you can.  I'm not sure how many fish.....but knock yourself out!!

#21 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

"Sweet Thang" got penumonia, last year "Joe" was told to put a plastic tarp and then a blue tarp over that....Joe don't hear well, didn't put the black plastic on it to water proof the place, opened up the closed up parking spot, nearly cried, every thing wet, rusty and looked like it had soaked in the lake all winter. GGGerrrrrr!!!! My langauge was unprintable....sorry No compression on one cyclinder.....as green machine use to say "scheeese"-----------Its time , Sweet Thang has been hauling me about for nearly 10 years, with out  too many hic-ups,  bored out 2 jugs to 79.0 mm, about .030....ok ..0254 for the educated. valve job, new springs, I think I have a broken one. Yesterday  I spent the 9.5 hours of the day with Paul Crowe, new Ural solo owner and Head of performance ignitions systems. Paul is working with Power arc Ignition  systems. We did up the heads of his Ural, and then did Nutsy-boltsey about this new ignition. This Thursday we will do trials. Measured 1/4 mile  ttime trial, three runs, average the times. This will be with old point system that has worked so well since 2001.......Then we will install the Power Arc system, same 34 deg btdc timeing, three runs, average the time. bring Sweet Thang to CRAP, do some testing on the hills, and those who wish take a spin on it...(be carefull) by this time will have a few miles on it when I get back, take it down to Green bay and make run,s on the dynometer, and fine tune it. The power Arc is so accurate in timing that it may be possable to move the timing up to 36 and even 38 degrees BTDC, with out fear of detonation. among other things is the fact that the coil out put is on the order of 100,000 volts, which requires  a  none auto parts store ign wire. I have been aware of the short comings of the numerous ignition systems used on Ural and Dneprs, they have always run ok  for awhile, but in the end they fell short. IMHO this brings our bikes into a new world. But don't want to brag too much here, as always, proof is in the pudding....Ken

#22 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sidecars

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Bringing Paul with you? He needs to me some potential customers. Can't think of a better place. He's gotten a good dose on the forums and FB, but nothing like meeting us in person, in a group, in the wild, in the South...
2011 Ural Retro
1995/1979 Bural  Sportsman/R100
1988 HD FLHS/Watsonian Cambridge
1951 Servicar

1976 BMW R90/6 Motorvation Royale (Sold Aug 18, 2014)

#23 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Sweet thang is coming back to life  nicely, will be running this evening, plan on leaving wed morning for Sanford, the weather here is  xxxxxcensoredxxxxxx! 32 deg at 11 pm last nite, currant temp is 36 deg with 25 mph wind, gust to 30.  I am sure glad that this weekend was not chosen for CRAP, the weather nation wide is "CRAP" also., any up dates about activities this week end? We raise chickens and eggs here on the farm, since hauling food along, in warm weather (hopefully)  Thought I would bring along  a couple of dozen organic eggs and some real apple smoked bacon  from the "nawth" The apple wood used to smoke the bacon came from here, bacon makers came from Canada. Really looking forward to the meet this year, haven't been able to make it, last couple of years. .....Ken

#24 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Paul, won't make it this year, he's pretty busy at home me thinks....Ken

#25 johnR

johnR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostKen Ulrich, on 27 April 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Sweet thang is coming back to life  nicely, will be running this evening, plan on leaving wed morning for Sanford, the weather here is  xxxxxcensoredxxxxxx! 32 deg at 11 pm last nite, currant temp is 36 deg with 25 mph wind, gust to 30.  I am sure glad that this weekend was not chosen for CRAP, the weather nation wide is "CRAP" also., any up dates about activities this week end? We raise chickens and eggs here on the farm, since hauling food along, in warm weather (hopefully)  Thought I would bring along  a couple of dozen organic eggs and some real apple smoked bacon  from the "nawth" The apple wood used to smoke the bacon came from here, bacon makers came from Canada. Really looking forward to the meet this year, haven't been able to make it, last couple of years. .....Ken
Ken, The eggs and bacon sound fantastic!  Bring as many as you can (that isn't a burden).  The activities are Friday-meet and greet and basically hang around.  Some go on rides on Friday, but those are "no notice" kind of rides.  Saturday-ride in the morning and games in the early afternoon with prizes given in the late afternoon.  Sunday-Some are going to a "ride for the kids" cancer ride and prep to leave.  Of course there will be two meals provided on Friday (lunch and dinner), three meals provided on Sat, and breakfast and lunch (leftovers) provided on Sunday.  This is a potluck so folks that live close bring whatever they would bring to one of those events.  I can tell you that there will be BBQ, smoked chicken drumsticks, a whole pig, hot dogs, cabbage rolls, chili, and every side dish you can think of to give you a little idea of how you are going to eat.
I really look forward to seeing you guys.
John

#26 johnR

johnR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

I just got back from signing the contract for Ole Gilliam Mill.  I did make a mistake on the cost-it is $125 for the day instead of $75 (I believe I was thinking about Jordan Lake...).  They also charge $6 each night for each tent and $10 per camper per night.  Jimmy (the guy that runs the place didn't charge this camping charge last year even though it is in the contract as a favor, but caught some heart ache about it, so this year it is an additional charge we will have to pay).  I figure that if you are tent camping that $25 for the weekend and $35 if you have a camper should cover all costs (I'll have the contract available during sign-in if anyone has any questions).  The $150 deposit I was able to leave there last year to ensure to reserve the same weekend this year is not considered in the cost.  With that being said, if the cost is a show stoppen to anyone, PM me and we'll work something out.  The cost of this event should never and will never keep from anyone wanting to come to come.  I never wanted this to get to the point that we needed to charge more than $10 for the weekend, but with progress comes other issues.
let me know if anyone has any questions or comments.
John
John

#27 yatesfly

yatesfly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles and airplanes

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

John I guess we pay at sign in? We are coming up from charlotte trailering so can bring any request you have other than that bottled water a case or 2 and will be able to run for anything you need friday.  Dennis & Sheila
dnepr MT16,64 hd xlch,71hd xlh, 82 honda gl500

#28 johnR

johnR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

View Postyatesfly, on 27 April 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

John I guess we pay at sign in? We are coming up from charlotte trailering so can bring any request you have other than that bottled water a case or 2 and will be able to run for anything you need friday.  Dennis & Sheila
Dennis, yes, get with me at the sign in.  I appreciate the offer for Friday and we'll see how we are then.  Ice is always welcomed as well!! :wink:

#29 yatesfly

yatesfly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

will do.    do you want me to check in charlotte for clutch screws (I know ken ulrich has them) but maybe i could check fastenal for allen head ones and ural is open on tue

#30 yatesfly

yatesfly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

john if you call ken ulrich he can mail them in the morning his number is 715 297 3236 he is still up eating pizza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users