• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

Just got  home from a 3740 mile ride from palmer ,Alaska, to Knowlton ,Wi. Not on a bike, but driving a truck. (1989 Dodge 1 tom cummins) I flew to Anchorage on the 38 th of Aug, was going to spend about 2 days and then start out, the rain gods decided a two week rain was in store, bought a trailer to haul some things back, wire it for lights, tagged it. and everything that could go wrong did....after three weeks finially started out, got five miles down the road, flat tire, lug wrench didn't fit the trailer lugs. reports of a wild old man, cussing by the side of the road are true..........new tire....gingerly started out....little bug a boos still popped up ,but were manageable, maintained 50-55 mph, for the fuel economy, close to $5.00 a gal in spots, but the old Dodge rolled along at a steady 15.1 mpg, not bad for a 350,000 mile engine.....
At the the the blinding speed of 50mph, one has the time to really enjoy the trip....In fall colors of yellow and gold, it is absolutely breath taking, traffic is light, as the tourists  are long gone, moving away from the rainy areas, 300 miles away at Tok, Ak there is light snow on the ground, spent the nite, road turned south, and the weather warmed up ....saw some hardy souls north bound, on bikes with back pac,s and luggage tied on, spoke with one young guy who was doing "my last long ride before marriage"....at 80 me thinks his kind of ride is a little much for me. Things started falling into place, I relaxed and continued to be mezmerized by the flow of  lakes, snow covered peaks, and wild life. Dodged a few Caribou, three moose, one beautiful black bear, some Ross sheep on the road, Foxes, and a wolf, that stared at me with that "what the hell you lookin at" look.....it was his home I was treaspassing....Did a steady 500 to 550 miles a day, along the Al-Can, food is expensive, so I packed a cooler, that stayed plugged in all the way, so a weeks groceries was a mere 80.00.....have a 12v electric fry pan that is a little wonder...make a cup of coffee on it , fry eggs, bacon, heat up soup. etc When 100 miles from nowhere food tastes so good in the clear air...
I could go on and on, but as always keeping an eye out for bikes, found a 74 Suzy GT 750. will bring that down the next trip, in the spring....the last couple hundred miles was full fall colors, balmy temps....good to be home..."Sweet thang awaits........Ken

#2 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Mr. Ken, Glad you are home safe and sound.  Trips such as yours are good for the soul and help clear the mind of needless dribble.  Winter is to come this year early and angry... Take care.... SB#3
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users