#121 ggann3

ggann3

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:57 PM

Hi Everybody,
My name is Garvin. I reside in the in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. I first saw a Ural at the Triumph dealer when I purchased my Scrambler. I thought it was the coolest thing. Fast forward a couple of years. After noticing my interest in Urals my wife out of the blue suggested I look at getting a sidecar bike so she can continue to ride with me. She has been having trouble getting on and off my other bikes. Comes with age. The local Triumph dealer dropped the Ural line last year and the nearest dealer is three hours away. We did drive there though and looked at a 2015 Gear Up. She was comfortable in the sidecar. I was hesitant to purchase an EFI model given the distance from any dealerships. After reading through the posts here I decided a 2013 model would suit me better. I like to do my own wrenching whenever possible. After doing some online searching I found a new 2013 Patrol T at St. Croix Ural in Wisconsin. Dell Zehm there made me what I think was a pretty good deal. So now I'm waiting for it to arrive.
One of the first mods will be is to upgrade the tractor seat and install a tank shifter. I'm undecided on the reverse shifter or the twin stick shifter. I like the twin stick but I'm afraid it might get old after awhile. What do you all think?
Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I hope to enjoy and learn a lot about my new Ural.

Garvin

#122 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

For what little I really use Reverse....the stock setup suits me fine...But, I already had a HD with a Tank shifter [1951] so I'm over the "look" part.

#123 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

View Postggann3, on 28 October 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

Hi Everybody,
My name is Garvin. I reside in the in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. I first saw a Ural at the Triumph dealer when I purchased my Scrambler. I thought it was the coolest thing. Fast forward a couple of years. After noticing my interest in Urals my wife out of the blue suggested I look at getting a sidecar bike so she can continue to ride with me. She has been having trouble getting on and off my other bikes. Comes with age. The local Triumph dealer dropped the Ural line last year and the nearest dealer is three hours away. We did drive there though and looked at a 2015 Gear Up. She was comfortable in the sidecar. I was hesitant to purchase an EFI model given the distance from any dealerships. After reading through the posts here I decided a 2013 model would suit me better. I like to do my own wrenching whenever possible. After doing some online searching I found a new 2013 Patrol T at St. Croix Ural in Wisconsin. Dell Zehm there made me what I think was a pretty good deal. So now I'm waiting for it to arrive.
One of the first mods will be is to upgrade the tractor seat and install a tank shifter. I'm undecided on the reverse shifter or the twin stick shifter. I like the twin stick but I'm afraid it might get old after awhile. What do you all think?
Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I hope to enjoy and learn a lot about my new Ural.

Garvin
Hi Garvin, and welcome to our little eccentric community. I'm disabled and I have a few decades under my belt. I have both the forward and reverse hand-shifters from Raceway Ural. I use them exclusively as I cannot shift with my foot. The reverse hand-shifter puts the shift knob up where it's easier to reach. You mentioned age (your wife), so I recommend the reverse hand shifter too. You'll be glad you did. Cheers!

#124 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

If you go with the Raceway Ural hand-shifter, a friend of mine in Ohio makes these amazing brass shift knobs to replace the plastic one that comes with the shifter kit. Cheers!

Attached Files

#125 sallen

sallen

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:My G S Dogs
    Ford T Speedsters
    Dneprs and Urals
    Friends and Food

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hello Duke, do you have a contact number for the shift knobs?
Thanks Sam

#126 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

View Postsallen, on 29 October 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

Hello Duke, do you have a contact number for the shift knobs?
Thanks Sam
Hi Sam, you can send him a friend request on FB. His name is Riley Anderson. Or email him at Rilesrca@gmail.com

#127 Windsorlad

Windsorlad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Tinkering on and riding bikes, keeping my 1974 river cruiser afloat, rugby.........

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

Hi folks, I have just acquired a mid 70's MT9 outfit. First registered in UK 1975 all looks original to me but  has a Ural tank fitted. My plan is to get her running, road legal and then decide what direction to take her.
20151106 195437 zps9w53yvze
20151106 195342 zpsyezbrhv9

Dnepr 650 4
Any help with proper identification and tips will be much appreciated as this is the biggest project I have embarked on so far.

#128 Hagafan

Hagafan

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hi, I live in Cornwall, UK and have recently bought an MT10. I was going to go to the Elefant Treffen on it in January but it will not be finished in time. I have had a couple of MT11s before and used to use one for competition. :laugh: Attached File  12274299_10208038174221316_4128842407896030155_n.jpg   110.13K   11 downloadsAttached File  34452_1510968543326_857887_n.jpg   102.49K   6 downloadsAttached File  34452_1510968543326_857887_n.jpg   102.49K   6 downloads

#129 wheelybueller

wheelybueller

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Im Ron,and I know nothing about my bike.
I have been reading everything I can find
.I bought it on Ebay and pick it up Saturday dec 31.
Ive ridden many H-Ds with sidecars,and a few Urals and really enjoyed them.
I hope to learn and have fun with this.
In a previous life I was a Honda-Harley Tech and for 17 years a Service manager at NorthCountry Harley-Honda in Augusta Maine.
I now am a Parts and Service guy at a Case/New Holland dealer and a Volunteer at http://owlshead.org/
Im the "bike guy"
Im sure ill be asking all the noob questions...
Thank you in advance
Attached File  s-l16004.jpg   128.37K   10 downloads

#130 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

^^ I am jealous of your Bike!!!
I lust for a Late Dnepr...especially in that kind of Condition...
FWIW My Bitter Half likes the old Dnepr better than the '07 Ural!!!
Claims it is More comfortable, and seems more Stable...
IDK
I like Both...But, Yours could replace Both of Mine Handily!!!!

#131 geoffreyjay07

geoffreyjay07

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hello all;

I am Geoffrey, bought a 2016 Ural Gear-Up just before Thanksgiving.  Currently I am in the process of relocating from Maryland, to the Kansas City, MO area.  Hope to have my bike out here soon to do some riding.  Glad to be part of the group.

thanks
Geoffrey

#132 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Geoffrey: Welcome aboard the tripod riding club. Lots of fun ahead.
Try to void the tornados in your new region!
~RN

#133 pathfinders

pathfinders

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Hello all, My name is Roy and I have a 1995 Ural with hack.
2003 and 1995 Ural, 2005 Concours.

#134 Pavel

Pavel

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

My name is Pavel. I came here to sign up because I joined a forum recently and they had a question you could fill in about which is your "dream" motorcycle.  I gave it a lot of thought, unexpectantly. I day dreamed as to what riding meant to me now, after 39 years at it and where I hoped to "go" next.  My answer after all that retrospective thinking surprised even myself, when I realized that more than any motorcycle on Earth, I'd like to have a Ural.  In my 50's I now like to go slow and savor the trip. I like to be able to get off the regular routes and do some off road and I especially like to be able to tinker with a motorcycle.  Sometimes  I think that I like to work on a bike, more even that riding it.  The Ural is a good basic motorcycle which allows all of what I want, and something new, that I've not yet had the pleasure of after all these years - the sidecar experience. I don't have a Ural yet, but hope to in a few years, and am here to get a jump start on learning about this new possible motorcycling way forward. So; hello everyone! :)

#135 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

Pavel;
Having been on 2 -wheels for over 50 Years..I could Not see me with Only one Bike..
The Ole Body ain't what it used to be any more. The "Rig" does not satisfy my "offroad" desires...but, Neither can I accomplish some of what I long for either..I still own an Old, Sedate Dirt Bike. I still have an [even older] Harley or Two, and I have been Riding my Dnepr [it is my Pick-up Truck] since our weather Broke awhile back.
We will have the Ural "in tow" when I start work next month..It is Priceless for Transportation...and if there is an "Only Bike" scenario..I guess this is it.  It appears that when I can have only one bike.....it is the Ural!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users