• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DannyG

DannyG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Reenacting. German 1SS Panzer Pioneer Kompanie - US I Co. 501 PIR

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

I recently bought this 1960 Dnepr K750 as a Psudo WW2 German Scout bike for my reenacting Group.
http://www.1ss-pz-pi-komp.com/

The Bike is pretty Sweet as it is
Posted Image

but I'm considering Camo painting it in a WW2 German SS Camo Scheme for use in my group. Problem is its easy to paint but not easy to unpaint.
Posted Image

What are your thoughts? To Camo or not to Camo?

#2 digitalebola

digitalebola

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

As a former reienactor (12th SS) I would first of all run it by the CO and see if they would let you use it in either battle or static display.  Back when I was doing it (early 90's) some guys got pretty dern picky and would only allow original German stuff to be used at events.

If they say yes then go for it painting it in a scheme that matches the events you guys participate in.  If not then do what you want with it.

Or......

You could start your own Soviet unit!!!!

As a side note - I bought a VW thing and we would go to the events in it!

Posted Image

#3 digitalebola

digitalebola

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

BTW - Great looking bike!  Congrats!

#4 DannyG

DannyG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Reenacting. German 1SS Panzer Pioneer Kompanie - US I Co. 501 PIR

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

digitalebola, on 03 July 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

As a former reienactor (12th SS) I would first of all run it by the CO and see if they would let you use it in either battle or static display.  Back when I was doing it (early 90's) some guys got pretty dern picky and would only allow original German stuff to be used at events.

If they say yes then go for it painting it in a scheme that matches the events you guys participate in.  If not then do what you want with it.

Or......

You could start your own Soviet unit!!!!

As a side note - I bought a VW thing and we would go to the events in it!

Posted Image

My CO wants it painted and rigged out ASAP. His two vehicles are camo'd and he wants them to match. I like the VW thing... I've looked at several over the years and have regreted not buying one. I really don't want to do Soviet!

#5 digitalebola

digitalebola

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

In that case I say go for it. It is awesome the way it is now... But unless you shift to Afrika Corp you would be kinda out of place.

Thanks for the compliments on the thing.  I wish I still had her.

As a side note... The last re-enactment I took part in was for he dedication of the POW museum in Aliceville Alabama back in 92 or 93.  I was really cool because some of the German POWs were there for the event (former Afrika Corp guys). Rommel's son was supposed to be there as well but he was unable to attend at the last minute.

It was neat to talk to he German vets. We always enjoyed talking to the US vets... But it was the first time we got to talk with the Germans.

I took a look at ya'lls web site. Makes me miss it a bit more.

Oh...the eastern front events were always fun.  I can't remember where they were from but there was a unit of Russian irregulars that always cracked us up.

Enjoy and take pics along the way!

J

ETA.....

Story about the thing!  I did not have the window panels for it... Me and my Obersurmfurer were headed to an event in Tullahoma,TN from just south of Birmingham, AL.  It was a cool November night about 10 or 11pm when we were going through downtown Bham on the interstate.  Be cause it was so cold we had on our tunics and great coats.  The k.98s would not fit in the trunk up front so they were in the back seat covered with other SS uniform bits.  Mind you no of this is illegal,it jus doesnt look good!

Yup... black state trooper pulls us over.  We just kind of sit there remaining calm. Yes sir, no sir, yes sir... Polite as we could be.   He let us know we had a headlight out.  We told home we would pick one up at the next truck stop and he let us proceed.

We were sweating there for a while!

#6 sallen

sallen

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:My G S Dogs
    Ford T Speedsters
    Dneprs and Urals
    Friends and Food

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

I did WWIIHRS in the late 70's and into 80's with the 1SS/2Kp LAH with Fritz Podig and Bill (Willie) Brooks, back then when dirt was new. The main concern with any piece off equiptment was, when was it first issued (this would apply to the camo design) early stuff could be used almost always for any renactiment senario. It was always a ratio of what was available at the time. Long story short, pic a como that will cover the most periods your unit does. Then there is water color on a base paint that can be washed off, experiment with the concentration of the paint and pray it does not rain. It will stain flat paints. Last if you are using this bike only for renactiments just remember military equipment was always repainted mostly in the field to what the current standards were (no Maco paint shops in a combat zone). Have fun and enjoy your bike.

SA

#7 DannyG

DannyG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

sallen, on 03 July 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

I did WWIIHRS in the late 70's and into 80's with the 1SS/2Kp LAH with Fritz Podig and Bill (Willie) Brooks, back then when dirt was new. The main concern with any piece off equiptment was, when was it first issued (this would apply to the camo design) early stuff could be used almost always for any renactiment senario. It was always a ratio of what was available at the time. Long story short, pic a como that will cover the most periods your unit does. Then there is water color on a base paint that can be washed off, experiment with the concentration of the paint and pray it does not rain. It will stain flat paints. Last if you are using this bike only for renactiments just remember military equipment was always repainted mostly in the field to what the current standards were (no Maco paint shops in a combat zone). Have fun and enjoy your bike.

SA

We do mostly Eastern Front, Normandy and Arnhem all 44 and on. So I believe this pattern would be fine for all three sinarios. I know what you mean about the field applied paint I'm not trying to make it look like a Museum piece but painted as if it were done in the field by soldiers. For casual riding it won't effect it and will probibly draw more looks then if I left it plain tan.

#8 berger

berger

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

While I am not a re-enactor, I did a lot of research when I powder coated my bike in Schwarz-Grau (Panzer Grey). The Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe didn't apply camo patterns to their bikes, as they were to small to worry about concealing like that.  If you are stickler for realism....then you need to go with a RAL colour. (The fairing insignia is not "real" I just wanted it that way)

Posted Image

http://www.benchmark...es/1942r75.html

Posted Image
Berger

2007 Patrol
R75 exhaust
Modtop Airbox
138/45 Jets
Gossie Needles
CJ750 24L Tank/Karcoma Petcock
7/64 Drilled Carb Slide

#9 DannyG

DannyG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

berger, on 04 July 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

While I am not a re-enactor, I did a lot of research when I powder coated my bike in Schwarz-Grau (Panzer Grey). The Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe didn't apply camo patterns to their bikes, as they were to small to worry about concealing like that.  If you are stickler for realism....then you need to go with a RAL colour. (The fairing insignia is not "real" I just wanted it that way)

Posted Image

http://www.benchmark...es/1942r75.html

Posted Image

Wow! those are two Beautiful Bikes! I like the artwork on the nose of your sidecar. I've search for hours thru original pics and its almost impossible to tell if the Combat Bikes are camo'd or just filthy. I'm leaning toward filthy. I see alot of Kettenkrad that are three tone camo'd.

#10 berger

berger

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

DannyG, on 04 July 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Wow! those are two Beautiful Bikes! I like the artwork on the nose of your sidecar. I've search for hours thru original pics and its almost impossible to tell if the Combat Bikes are camo'd or just filthy. I'm leaning toward filthy. I see alot of Kettenkrad that are three tone camo'd.

Thanks. It is the 24 Panzer Division...My inspiration was this Schuco model....
Posted Image

Of course....one can always be proven wrong...but based on the books I have seen, this wasn't the norm.
Posted Image

Check out the following links for markings and their meanings...

http://members.shaw....and/vehicle.htm

GREAT Resource for all divisions and markings......

http://www.feldgrau.com/

http://www.feldgrau....PzDiv.php?ID=24
Berger

2007 Patrol
R75 exhaust
Modtop Airbox
138/45 Jets
Gossie Needles
CJ750 24L Tank/Karcoma Petcock
7/64 Drilled Carb Slide

#11 sallen

sallen

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
    Ford T Speedsters
    Dneprs and Urals
    Friends and Food

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

The RAL Wehrmacht paint colors and numbers

7028 Dunkelgelb

6003 Olivgrun

8017 Rotbraun

7021 Dunkelgrau

SA

#12 DannyG

DannyG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

sallen, on 04 July 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

7028 Dunkelgelb

6003 Olivgrun

8017 Rotbraun

7021 Dunkelgrau

SA

Are these paints available in America? Everyone selling them on the web is in England Germany or Poland. Rustoleum makes them for sale overseas only... Where can I find these colors in spray cans?

#13 sallen

sallen

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
    Ford T Speedsters
    Dneprs and Urals
    Friends and Food

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

DannyG, on 11 July 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

sallen, on 04 July 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

7028 Dunkelgelb

6003 Olivgrun

8017 Rotbraun

7021 Dunkelgrau

SA

Are these paints available in America? Everyone selling them on the web is in England Germany or Poland. Rustoleum makes them for sale overseas only... Where can I find these colors in spray cans?

Most auto paint shop suppliers should be able to cross them. Going to my supplier in the next few weeks with mt rig to get some mixed for touchup, I'll post dupont numbers then.

SA

Attached Files

#14 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

When I was a little boy, we played with little tin soldiers....my-my....times have changed........................I know I'am going....Ken :smileypopcorn:

#15 rivers

rivers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

That bike is beautiful as is. Screw the CO he's a play acting CO not your real life CO...screw'em.  You want to make an already beautiful lady ugly...just add too much makeup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users