• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

Every thing in life has to have a start and ending, my MT-11 "sweet thang", which I bought sight unseen in 2001, and has been my test bed and up-grade rider for the last 11 years and 9000kms. It is reliable as sin, last test was a 275 mile ride in driving rain in early Oct of this year. Every thing has been rebuilt, for starters;
Forks; Brembo forks for a softer ride.
Engine; I rebuilt the top end in 2004,7000 kms since then, pistons shortened to three ring. Hastings rings installed. Rods lightened, intakes ported and relieved, K-68 carbs, entire  reciprecating mass balanced to .2 gram, thats about the weight of 1/4 the weight of a sheet of paper. The engine is smooth. You can ride for hours with out hand discomfort from vibes. Alternator rebuilt about six years ago. points type ignition,HD coil, last year  sat from Oct to March, started 1st kick. U-2 designed deep oil sump, with internal full flow oil filter. Instrumentation; oil pressure, oil tempeture, and system voltage, mounted in cluster in front of speedometer. Cylinders modified to "export compression height, 8.5 to 1 CR.,good compression, but have not had a reason to check for numbers. Inertial supercharger, modified, and installed, this give a bit more tourque and HP at lower rpm's.
This engine has had from rebuild, Mobil 20-50 oil, about a year ago, when changing the oil filter, I removed the pan, it was spectaticular, internally, it was clean as a hounds tooth, no signs of wearing or scores on the cyl walls. piston size is 78.45, or .5mm oversize. When running hard on the super slab, the deep sump will control the oil temp to less that 145 F. Burns no oil, no smoke. Dual exhausts with M-72 muffs. Didn't plan it that way but they are a bit throaty, which I find pleasant. Transmission has been rebuilt with new bearings and higher ratio third and fourth gear. The tranny has been lubed with the same 20-50 mobil one since rebuild. It has reached a point where it is now silky smooth shifting.  Diff, has also been rebuilt, with western quality hardware installed and secured.
Wheels;  I was not at all impressed with the original Russian wheels, and or brakes, so put in new western bearings, turned brake drums, cleaned up drum and spokes, installed chrome rims, trued to .020 in hop and wiggle, in stalled western tires. stops very well, and handles well also.
Battery; I have used a battery sized for the honda goldwing (1000 cc) since new, plenty of reserve power for all ocasions, change them out every three years.
Gas tank. Dual pet cocks installed, one to feed each carb. it is plumbed so if one side of tank runs low, the other side will cross-feed.
Seat; sofa type seat...rides nice.
Every thing works, no secrets, or "forgot to tellya's". with simple daily serviceing, it ready to  go anywhere.
Finish; original black Russian, has been waxed and kept up, but if you are a "gleam lover" you may want to consider a fender and tank paint job, at some point in the future.
Reason for selling; just this last week I aquired two "new" Dneprs, one a factory trike, another a 1980 model 10-36, The fleet is getting way past too large!
Other part of the story. In 1968 I loaded myself and three kids, into a two place Taylorcraft airplane, and flew down to Cherry Grove Minnesota, to see Bernie Pietenpol, who had designed and built about 23 variations of the Pietenpol Aircamper and Scout, dating from 1928, Bought a set of plans. Eight kids, Air line pilot job, farming with 8000 apple trees, and my beloved Dneprs have all got in the way, of me building one. One has just came on the market, I ain't getting much younger, so now is the time.

Price; I am looking for 4650.00, for a reliable,go anywhere, daily rider. Starting; it is rare that it doesen't light off by the second kick.

Delivery, I can run this up on the trailer and deliver it half way, all the way, etc, for expenses, can work out the details with the buyer.
Pictures, on the front format page of Russian Iron there is a pic of "sweet thang" with the Brembo forks and if you are still serious, can send a few more.
Contacts: machrat@gmail.com   (715) 693-6201 ......Ken

#2 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

If you punch the "club" news botton on the format page the bike will show up on the upper left...FYI.....Ken

#3 digitalebola

digitalebola

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

This one?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

That's "sweet Thang" my buddy for a long time....Ken

#5 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on 31 December 2011 - 08:37 AM, said:

Every thing in life has to have a start and ending, my MT-11 "sweet thang", which I bought sight unseen in 2001, and has been my test bed and up-grade rider for the last 11 years and 9000kms.

SNIP

Russian Iron there is a pic of "sweet thang" with the Brembo forks and if you are still serious, can send a few more.
Contacts: machrat@gmail.com   (715) 693-6201 ......Ken

Hi Ken,

Since PAOLI made those "Brembo" forks for a 250 cc solo, can you, will you guaranteee their suitability for an outfit/sidecar? They failed on Retros at low km. Have you put 20,000 plus km on those forks? Or do you expect your future purchaser to do the experiment for you? Please be truthfull in your advertisements. Brembo makes brakes, Paoli makes forks.

Some rewording to clarify your "errors" may be in order.

Regards,

Peter.

#6 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Well Pete, I am not a politician, I don't make Guarentee's that I have no way of knowing, or an experience level with such that, they will work 11,000 more kms down the road. I do know this, that for the last 7,000 km's they have rode well with my 245 lbs, on paved roads, and smooth gravel. I do not make a habit of paradeing hell bent for election, thru the wilds of wisconsin, or anywhere else. I have no idea who made what for what, I bought them from a man called "dneprman" who seems to be no longer involved in Dneprs. To sooth your nerves I have a new set of leading link Dnepr forks that can be applied to this bike, or I can rework the original forks and re-install them. hope this settles the question....And I have not been to Italy since 1951, I know much less about them, and their factories, that I do about Russians, I was told they are Brembo forks, there are no markings on them, I removed the lump of alum that was not required for the Dnepr brake, polished them up,etc. There are no markings indicating who made them or for what cc of bike.  But to classify me as a liar, is a stretch, for repeating what I was given to understand, and the ezperience (enjoyable) that I have had rideing with these forks on "Sweet Thang" Humbly...Ken

#7 sixbennetts

sixbennetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:My wife hates my hat. I wear it all the time!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Ken, Donny says this is his favorite so far, and I have to agree! It's beautiful, really. Do you have a link to more pics online somewhere? I can't seem to get the home page thingy mentioned above to work on his phone.

Barb
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her. She loves me.

#8 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

"Sweet Thang" is still alive and well in Wisconsin, after a quite summer due to the drought and heat here that required my attention elsewhere, in early Oct, Cindy Schmidt and I motored down to Ashville and FART, pulled the trailer with my 78' Peugeot, now that get a lot of comments here and there, Went to Deals Gap,NC, home of the "Dragon". The Dragon is 11.2 miles long, and has 318 curves (more or less) and a drop of several thousand feet. (about three thousand more or less) we scattered Cindy's late husband and my friend Marks ashes along the Dragon. The October scenery is spectacular, and a fitting site for Mark. Sweet Thang did her job, as always, without complaint, going down, and then up smartly, Lorne, (son and partner) said the other day , " you sell Sweet Thang, and you will be sorry" but I have a number of new bikes here that will be available shortly, and I am running out of room. I just got back from a 5000 mile road trip in the pick-up towing a 28 ft trailer, Went from Wausau to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Two sons there, visited Bob Hasselbeck, Houston, visted son,wife and my three yr old grand Daughter, who is a sweetie, Phoenix, visted my brother who has had some health problems, Los Angles, Hollywood, Dropped off a customers engine and transmission, up hwy 5 to Sacremento, loaded up three bikes and a bunch of parts, looked at the weather, it was winding up in the northern Pacific, time to get out of Dodge, Up over the Serria's  
thru Donner pass, Reno, Hwy 50 looked like a shorter route and there were report of a lot of road work on Hwy I-80.  Out of Fallon,Nv. things started to get very dark, no lights anywhere, I then saw a sign that sid this is "the lonely road," what an understatement, absolutely no traffic, 40-50 miles not a single light bulb, fuel was running low, stopped and poured in 10 gals of diesel I had in cans. felt better, every town indicated on the map said, no services! At last came about a cornor and there was Austin,Nv. Motel that looked like it came out of a movie set, sweet Japaneese lady, ( she had to be sweet, it was 2 am) fixed me up with a early days room, that was old but clean, slept like a log, the 7500 ft altitude probably helped, next day to Wendover,Nv., had one eye behind me as the weather was moving, wanted to get out of the hills, I was getting as high as 78oo feet, ice and snow can come out of nowhere at those altitudes, I crossed near the Bonneville salt flats, wanted to stop but felt better passing it up, stayed there overnite, next day pushed, made 700 miles to Sidney Nebraska, still up high, overnited, pushed on and the altidue finially started to drop on the GPS, made Atlantic, Iowa.  Spent the nite, made it home the next day, be 80 next April, got a couple of comments about an "Old turkey road test" from I think,jealous observers.  Eating on the road has its hazards, it's always expensive, about 30.00 a day, and they are always serving too much food, don't need that I have a reserve, about the belt. I have an old Boy Scout sterno stove, a sheet metal, folding thing that folds down flat. I took this along and after a couple of those big economey meals I stopped at a Aldi's in Memphis and bought a sack full of can goods, crackers, I would stop and make coffee, soup, good old beans, have a cup of tea at some of the most remote rest stops I have ever been at. In the open air, food tasted great. On a purely bike trip, this is the way to go, You can bet, I'll be doing more of this, even in the wind, wrapping a sheet of alum foil about the stove directed the heat to the pan,where in 10 minutes I could make piping hot soup. A solo picnic no less. Barb, maybe you could read this to Donnie, hope he finds it entertaining....Regards Ken

#9 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Mr. Ken,
Glad you got home safe and sound...
My wife and I truly enjoyed your visit here.  We had a blast at dinner and I was overjoyed to be in the presence of the Dnepr guru!

Sent you an order for my MT-9 tail light and advance lever set up....

Stay safe, we will chat soon.....

SB#3
Bob in Pride.
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#10 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Bob, mt-9 tail light assembly will be along, in about three weeks or so......Ken

#11 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yes Sir...
Many thanks...
Bob in Pride
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#12 sixbennetts

sixbennetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:My wife hates my hat. I wear it all the time!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on 12 November 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

"Sweet Thang" is still alive and well in Wisconsin, after a quite summer due to the drought and heat here that required my attention elsewhere, in early Oct, Cindy Schmidt and I motored down to Ashville and FART, pulled the trailer with my 78' Peugeot, now that get a lot of comments here and there, Went to Deals Gap,NC, home of the "Dragon". The Dragon is 11.2 miles long, and has 318 curves (more or less) and a drop of several thousand feet. (about three thousand more or less) we scattered Cindy's late husband and my friend Marks ashes along the Dragon. The October scenery is spectacular, and a fitting site for Mark. Sweet Thang did her job, as always, without complaint, going down, and then up smartly, Lorne, (son and partner) said the other day , " you sell Sweet Thang, and you will be sorry" but I have a number of new bikes here that will be available shortly, and I am running out of room. I just got back from a 5000 mile road trip in the pick-up towing a 28 ft trailer, Went from Wausau to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Two sons there, visited Bob Hasselbeck, Houston, visted son,wife and my three yr old grand Daughter, who is a sweetie, Phoenix, visted my brother who has had some health problems, Los Angles, Hollywood, Dropped off a customers engine and transmission, up hwy 5 to Sacremento, loaded up three bikes and a bunch of parts, looked at the weather, it was winding up in the northern Pacific, time to get out of Dodge, Up over the Serria's  
thru Donner pass, Reno, Hwy 50 looked like a shorter route and there were report of a lot of road work on Hwy I-80.  Out of Fallon,Nv. things started to get very dark, no lights anywhere, I then saw a sign that sid this is "the lonely road," what an understatement, absolutely no traffic, 40-50 miles not a single light bulb, fuel was running low, stopped and poured in 10 gals of diesel I had in cans. felt better, every town indicated on the map said, no services! At last came about a cornor and there was Austin,Nv. Motel that looked like it came out of a movie set, sweet Japaneese lady, ( she had to be sweet, it was 2 am) fixed me up with a early days room, that was old but clean, slept like a log, the 7500 ft altitude probably helped, next day to Wendover,Nv., had one eye behind me as the weather was moving, wanted to get out of the hills, I was getting as high as 78oo feet, ice and snow can come out of nowhere at those altitudes, I crossed near the Bonneville salt flats, wanted to stop but felt better passing it up, stayed there overnite, next day pushed, made 700 miles to Sidney Nebraska, still up high, overnited, pushed on and the altidue finially started to drop on the GPS, made Atlantic, Iowa.  Spent the nite, made it home the next day, be 80 next April, got a couple of comments about an "Old turkey road test" from I think,jealous observers.  Eating on the road has its hazards, it's always expensive, about 30.00 a day, and they are always serving too much food, don't need that I have a reserve, about the belt. I have an old Boy Scout sterno stove, a sheet metal, folding thing that folds down flat. I took this along and after a couple of those big economey meals I stopped at a Aldi's in Memphis and bought a sack full of can goods, crackers, I would stop and make coffee, soup, good old beans, have a cup of tea at some of the most remote rest stops I have ever been at. In the open air, food tasted great. On a purely bike trip, this is the way to go, You can bet, I'll be doing more of this, even in the wind, wrapping a sheet of alum foil about the stove directed the heat to the pan,where in 10 minutes I could make piping hot soup. A solo picnic no less. Barb, maybe you could read this to Donnie, hope he finds it entertaining....Regards Ken

Well, I surely will! My gosh, that sounded like a wonderful trip! You are so lucky to have the time to just go. Donny doesn't know I joined these two forums yet. If I can somehow find an old junk bike and surprise him with it, I don't want him to know I'm doing my homework! I'll just tell him I found the story while Googling!

We found out yesterday that our disability for him might not continue. This is devastating news, moneywise. We are right on the edge now. We might have to sell the old Volvo truck we just bought to be our camper to go out with a bang in. If you go to Expedition Portal and search our username sixbennetts you can see his posts (and some of mine too when his hands shake too bad and his headaches are bad).  If we do have to sell it to buy food, heat the house this winter, and pay the mortgage, he won't have it to work on. I maybe can shave off enough for an old junk without him knowing and just have it delivered to the garage!

And if that doesn't work I'll sell my engagement and wedding rings, my mother's ring, and my tiny diamond earrings. That's all the jewelry this farm girl has, but dammit, I'll do it so he can feel what you just wrote, Ken.

And I'm tough to stop once I settle on doing something.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her. She loves me.

#13 Mmacro

Mmacro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Is the bike still for sale?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users