• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn

Martyn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:before accident,i used to play the bodhran with a folk rock band .i read a lot-especially early Japanese history .i am passionate about motorcycles,i've never had a car.i used to be a support worker, looking after the elderly,infirm,mentally&physically disabled.again untill my accident.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

hello all, is the Siberian speed team still around?i'd like to know the type of engine they use and if they've modified it and to what extent. i don't want to copy them,i'm just curious.
ride safe and free. martyn,aberdare.:feelssogood:
illegitimus non tatum carbourundum.

#2 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

The Siberian Speed Team was a one time only event. They set the speed record for 650 push rod motorcycles at 114mph. Taking the record away from Triumph and doing it with a sidecar attached so they were compeating against 2 wheelers. Robbie Moore, who used to run SpiTS, set the record. Steve Jackson (he started FART) gave me a patch from the team that I proudly were on my jacket. Steve only managed to wind the rig up to 104. Last I hear the world record holding rig was sitting in a garage in Redmond Washington waiting for an honorable place to display.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#3 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

The SST had the potential to set 12 records but managed to set 4.  Someone happened to notice that there were no records on the books for sidecar motorcycles with 650 pushrod engines, and the team was born.

The engine was modified, and the bike was fairly stripped down (racing sidecar, and the seat was just padding).

Here's more about them:

http://www.sheldonau...l/progress.html

Some of the links on this page are dead, but the pictures are still there and you can still read some of the story.

The loss of the first bike broke a lot of hearts, but the Phoenix (second bike) flew magnificently.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#4 Martyn

Martyn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:before accident,i used to play the bodhran with a folk rock band .i read a lot-especially early Japanese history .i am passionate about motorcycles,i've never had a car.i used to be a support worker, looking after the elderly,infirm,mentally&physically disabled.again untill my accident.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

View PostBecky Blosser, on 11 November 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

The SST had the potential to set 12 records but managed to set 4.  Someone happened to notice that there were no records on the books for sidecar motorcycles with 650 pushrod engines, and the team was born.

The engine was modified, and the bike was fairly stripped down (racing sidecar, and the seat was just padding).

Here's more about them:

http://www.sheldonau...l/progress.html

Some of the links on this page are dead, but the pictures are still there and you can still read some of the story.

The loss of the first bike broke a lot of hearts, but the Phoenix (second bike) flew magnificently.

many thanks Becky,brilliant!:cheers:

#5 Martyn

Martyn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

View PostIVANGROZNEY, on 11 November 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

The Siberian Speed Team was a one time only event. They set the speed record for 650 push rod motorcycles at 114mph. Taking the record away from Triumph and doing it with a sidecar attached so they were compeating against 2 wheelers. Robbie Moore, who used to run SpiTS, set the record. Steve Jackson (he started FART) gave me a patch from the team that I proudly were on my jacket. Steve only managed to wind the rig up to 104. Last I hear the world record holding rig was sitting in a garage in Redmond Washington waiting for an honorable place to display.

thank you for that-it was a great endevour.:cheers:

#6 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Here are the Siberian Speed Team pilots on the salt at Bonneville with Phoenix:

Standing, left to right:  Grant Harris and Steve Jackson
Kneeling, left to right:  Fredda Cole and Aubrey Cheek

As you can see from the banner behind Phoenix, there were quite a few sponsors of The Team.  The banner does not list those of us who donated money and bought shirts and provided moral support.  

Those were the days.....

Thanks to Sheldon Aubut for maintaining the site that tells the story of the SST.

Attached Files

Becky Blosser

Winchester, VA

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#7 romoshka

romoshka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Brewing, barley therapy, machining, welding, farming and riding motorcycles.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:22 PM

Old timer here - Daisy and I have been out of the Ural community for over 7 years but we will be returning thanks to another old timer.  Thank you Mike Jones.  I was a member of the SST. I see Sheldon's site no longer exists but I have a lot of the history and will get it back out there.  To Martyn who started this thread: if you want to recreate what we did for a daily rider I would not recommend it.  We built that bike for speed not longevity.  After 8 runs at Bonneville the noises inside the engine were scary.
Steve
Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

#8 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

Steve:
Great to hear from another "old timer."
My last visit (late 2015) to IMWA in Redmond, Washington, USA, saw the SST "Phoenix" still proudly on display in the front office.
It was a unique community effort that produced those speed records. Especially considering the disastrous fire that consumer the first rig. For those not familiar with The Story, it is an interesting one!

Our Family is still riding Urals (3 including older son's rig) and enjoying life. I rode my '07 Retro on dirt roads up Mt. Hood (Oregon) this summer to the 6,000 ft. level. This is our new back yard. Perfect Uralling in the Columbia Gorge region.

Anyway, nice to see your post.
Russ Noe`

#9 romoshka

romoshka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Brewing, barley therapy, machining, welding, farming and riding motorcycles.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hey Russ,

Good to "hear" from you.  If memory serves you are a ME prof...yes?  We recently had an ortho resident from Wash who was an ME from Wash before going back to med school.  He seemed to think he remembered you.  

On a different topic ever since we talked years ago I haven't forgotten about the notion of a steam powered MC to make a run at Bonneville.  I abandoned that notion after a year when local resources, mostly knowledge, was essentially absent.  I have a complete machine shop and full welding capabilities but the knowledge and interest were locally deficient.
Steve
Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

#10 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

View Postromoshka, on 01 December 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hey Russ,

Good to "hear" from you.  If memory serves you are a ME prof...yes?  We recently had an ortho resident from Wash who was an ME from Wash before going back to med school.  He seemed to think he remembered you.  

On a different topic ever since we talked years ago I haven't forgotten about the notion of a steam powered MC to make a run at Bonneville.  I abandoned that notion after a year when local resources, mostly knowledge, was essentially absent.  I have a complete machine shop and full welding capabilities but the knowledge and interest were locally deficient.
Yes, I taught Manufacturing Processes at the Univ of Washington, Seattle, Mechanical Engineering Dept. That's interesting that you maybe crossed paths with one of my students! Life is funny that way.
'Been retired since 2012, and really happy about that. We moved from Seattle one year ago, and I've been able to design and build a new garage/shop, complete with a full machine shop including new large lathe and mill! Dreams do come true. I don't plan on making a steam powered motorcycle, but I'm working on my second 1/8th scale steam locomotive!
And we get to enjoy incredible Ural riding here in the mountains and Columbia River Gorge region. Valhalla!
~Russ

#11 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:13 AM

Thanks to coloradopeaks.net, who saved much of Sheldon Aubut's information:

http://www.coloradop...l/progress.html

Christian's Dnepr pages also have some info, along with pix of our dearly missed Daisy (we miss you too, Steve!  Welcome back!)

http://www.dnepr.at/e/ga_intro.htm
Becky Blosser

Winchester, VA

#12 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

Becky:
Thanks for posting those "connections."
'Very nostalgic to look back at those days.

Riding our time machines...
~Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users