21 replies to this topic

#16 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

As far as I understand it,Neval Motorcycles were the UK importer of Dneprs. I bought an MT11 from them in 1989. They also sold the MT16 with right hand driven sidecar.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#17 Hal

Hal

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

As I look at the pictures of your Neval..... I realize it is my old bike!! Three things identify it to me: The green gas can, the yellow paint on the drive donut, and the oil pressure gauge. My baby!!  I did a lot of research on the bike, and some of the best Dnepr gurus determined by proof stamps etc that it was originally made for "an important government agency", based on the number of inspections and stamps it received during it's build. I put the yellow drive coupling on it the day after I did a 100 mile ride. As I pulled out of my driveway the next morning, the original donut let loose.

I found the bike in NH or VT....forget which.... where it had been sitting un-used in an open front equipment shed. I traded a three(?) year old Rokon Trailbreaker for it. At the time, the owner of the Neval got the best end of the deal, as the Rokon was in very nice shape and quite new, while the Neval was in un-known running condition. After a little work, and working out some minor bugs, I put some good miles on the Neval. If you ever get rid of it, I wouldn't mind getting it back into my garage!

I hope you are enjoying it still. Hal
I wish I had more space, more time and more money!

#18 ARozanski

ARozanski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, gardening, winemaking

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:35 AM

View PostHal, on 17 October 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

As I look at the pictures of your Neval..... I realize it is my old bike!! Three things identify it to me: The green gas can, the yellow paint on the drive donut, and the oil pressure gauge. My baby!!  I did a lot of research on the bike, and some of the best Dnepr gurus determined by proof stamps etc that it was originally made for "an important government agency", based on the number of inspections and stamps it received during it's build. I put the yellow drive coupling on it the day after I did a 100 mile ride. As I pulled out of my driveway the next morning, the original donut let loose.

I found the bike in NH or VT....forget which.... where it had been sitting un-used in an open front equipment shed. I traded a three(?) year old Rokon Trailbreaker for it. At the time, the owner of the Neval got the best end of the deal, as the Rokon was in very nice shape and quite new, while the Neval was in un-known running condition. After a little work, and working out some minor bugs, I put some good miles on the Neval. If you ever get rid of it, I wouldn't mind getting it back into my garage!

I hope you are enjoying it still. Hal

Hi Hal, thanks for the post! Very interesting! It has an inspection tag from New Hampshire from 1997.

I have to confess, I have had a lot of 'teething' issues with the Neval - I have had to whole top end redone, it is fine now. I am having an issue where it does not seem to be charging, so I have to track that down, but other than that, it is in good shape. I have spending time on my Royal Enfield, so I haven't had much time for the Neval.
1981 Neval/Dnepr, 2002 H-D Fatboy

#19 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hi Folks, and greetings from a newby to the USA forums. I'm in the UK and know a bit about Neval's. We often come across oddballs built out of bits by them and to me , this is a bike that was built for export to Canada circa 1981.

The instrument console and headlamp are MT10 series ones ( the instrument housing is subtely different from an MT11/16 unit and the headlamp is a totally different shape). The rear lamp is again an MT10 series unit. The addition of a rev counter is a common Neval upgrade that we encounter over here. On the 1st of August 1981, the UK banned the fitting of right hand sidecars to motorcycles and we sometimes see MT11 models fitted with MT16 headstock badges. Quite simply,When the law changed, Nevals were left with an Overstock of R/H sidecars . They fitted the 2wd drives and chassis to other bikes from all their old stocks and shipped them off to countries where they could legally be sold. Everything about the bike bears Neval's hallmarks . The one thing about the bike that is puzzling me is the 'Manual ignition' fitted to a 12v machine. I have only ever seen this twice, both on what are supposed to be MT10 machines ( NOT MT10-36 models) . The air filter shown in the pics also featured on one of these bikes and both had a SLS front brake.

So, forget about it being built for some government agency, It's a genuine Neval Dnepr, possibly a rare? MT10, built out of bits in stock,for export, after August 1981.

I've also read frequently on this forum that MT16 and MT12 models don't have R/H pillion footpeg fittings. I own 2 Neval Mt16's and have an MT12 in my workshop now. All have footpegs on the chair side. In the UK , we see official Dnepr imports from both Satra and Neval , and many private imported models direct from the ex Soviet states. Out of literally hundreds of machines, I have never seen one with this footrest missing. I believe may be the the case that this peg was left off genuine military bikes not available to the public.

#20 yatesfly

yatesfly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles and airplanes

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

My supposed MT-16 (has a reconstructed title) does not have a passenger foot peg on chair side but the bracket is there welded on the frame.  Dennis
dnepr MT16,64 hd xlch,71hd xlh, 82 honda gl500

#21 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

View Postyatesfly, on 18 October 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

My supposed MT-16 (has a reconstructed title) does not have a passenger foot peg on chair side but the bracket is there welded on the frame.  Dennis

It is the brackets that are supposed to be missing Dennis, ie no sign of a footpeg ever having been fitted. Both mine have the complete assembly fitted and I could soon remove the pegs but it would still leave the brackets in place unless I ground them off.

#22 yatesfly

yatesfly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles and airplanes

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Yes I understand what you said I understand some of previous post to say the brackets were missing or not installed on some. Mine has the braket but no foot peg. In fact the bracket is about a 1/4 inch from the sidecar mount no room for foot peg. Just how mine is FWIW. Dennis
dnepr MT16,64 hd xlch,71hd xlh, 82 honda gl500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users