Dnepr vs Ural. How big is the difference?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:40 AM

The big failures that I've garnered over the past 6 years:

Ural 650's suffer from broken crankshafts due to multi-piece assembly and what I suspect is improper carb balancing.

Dnepr 650's seem to suffer from improper break-in procedures or poorly machined oil journals. At any rate, it's not uncommon in Europe to see 20 or 30 year old Dneprs with fewer than 100 miles on the odometer because a piston seized up.

On the Ural 750's, it seems there is a recent bout of failed final drives for some reason. The 35A alternator is bad juju on anything of any displacement; the front cog seems to rip loose from (or with) the shaft and p!sses off the rest of the cogs in the gear tower attached to the cam- and crankshafts.

Universally: Electrical connections are crap on almost all of them; any stops with drum brakes need to be planned with Map Quest; nuts-n-bolts are made of something akin to industrial grade Silly-Putty; steel wheel rims were no doubt delivered to the factories in long red tubes just like real Pringles; and I make better quality seals and gaskets from old bike tubes and cereal boxes than the factory...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#17 ural2007

ural2007

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:13 PM

what city in wisconsin ?

Ken Ulrich of U2 Cycles in Wisconsin

#18 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Ural used to make the rims in their factory. They would shape the metal into the proper cross section for a rim in a long spiral run. Then they would cut to 18" or 19" as needed and butt weld the rim. Some years ago they stopped this and switched to a machined aluminum rim they outsourced.

The 650 cranks had a resonant point that wasn't reached very often in Russia when the speed limit was 42 mph. In the US it was too easy to hit that spot. Only a handful of owners put any real mileage on the 650s here without problems.

#19 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

What Vance said.
Speaking only of Urals, I got to see the Irbit Factory's original rim manufacturing line in action. Fascinating, actually.
The original automated screw-turning lathes were also remarkable, although the metal quality was indeed lacking by modern standards.

We (our family) broke 2 different crank shafts in Ural 650 engines, running them fast on USA roads. Still managed to limp home making loud knocking sounds.
The Ural 750s seem relatively bullet proof now. Especially the Denso alternators, compared to the original Russian units. Dense failures are apparently few and far between. The first USA imported Urals (1996 +) seemed to produce excitement with those original alternators self destructing and taking out the front gear column. At least we used to hear of that relatively often.

The Ural factory went so far as to set up a separate alternator "rebuild" line to pre-process the new (Lada?) alternators before using them.
Results: so so at best. When Ilya Khait (Ural President) was presented with a new Denso alternator and machined adaptor piece at a Ural Gathering in Indiana, USA, (early 2000s? The year escapes my brain) he quickly saw the advantages of the better set up. Combined with the German-made gears, reliability was finally achieved.

Today's Ural hardware is worlds above the original in quality. Outsourced like so many other parts now. I can actually unbolt/unscrew something, and use the hardware again...  I would classify modern (post 2010) Urals to be reliable machines and rides. At least the way our Family rides and maintains them. Our newest Ural is a 2007, and today's new Urals are far better, still.

Dneprs never got to make that transition. It's up to the restoration Folks to make them more reliable.
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the Dnepr manufacturing survived and matured.

Restore well, Ride Safe, and Often.
~RN

#20 John S.

John S.

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

Greetings All... err to the few...
After a long absence from motorcycles I am again excited with the aspect of renewing my love with the Ural line of motorcycles. I have a question about the new bikes/tubs. What is the seat width in the tub. Are there any measurably differences inside the tub between the various models. I need to know what the comfort level is for my sweetie. I'm looking at the cT's but will consider a different model if the tubs differ..
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

#21 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

View PostVance Blosser, on 07 October 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Ural used to make the rims in their factory. They would shape the metal into the proper cross section for a rim in a long spiral run. Then they would cut to 18" or 19" as needed and butt weld the rim. Some years ago they stopped this and switched to a machined aluminum rim they outsourced.

The 650 cranks had a resonant point that wasn't reached very often in Russia when the speed limit was 42 mph. In the US it was too easy to hit that spot. Only a handful of owners put any real mileage on the 650s here without problems.

The Soviet speed limit for motorcycles was 80 km/h (approx. 50 mph). When will you lying POS Yanks finally get at least something right? If you are ignorant, which you are, stop commenting!!!!!

#22 fatbob

fatbob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles & sidecars; guns; reading; music; model building; fishing; small cars

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

"...lying POS Yanks..."   I'm often wrong about things (that's my right) but I thought we were here to assist each other with our pet projects?  Politics (all) and politicians (all) be damned, but I think I'm becoming, perhaps, Australian unfriendly.  To quote a previous saying, "If you are ignorant, which you are, stop commenting!!!"

#23 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

I was told about the speed limit by Russians who lived there so I assumed they knew what they were talking about. Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of his crocodile this morning. Watch your step!

#24 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

50 mph is still less than the speed most of these bikes were run in the US. 55 to 65 was common for many, especially if near large urban areas with less secondary roads to use. Although bad for the engine, they had a very smooth spot at about 63 mph or so.

#25 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostJohn S., on 08 October 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

Greetings All... err to the few...
After a long absence from motorcycles I am again excited with the aspect of renewing my love with the Ural line of motorcycles. I have a question about the new bikes/tubs. What is the seat width in the tub. Are there any measurably differences inside the tub between the various models. I need to know what the comfort level is for my sweetie. I'm looking at the cT's but will consider a different model if the tubs differ..

The Ural vs Dnepr Tub is so close, I call them Equal in Tub Dimensions.. Hannigan Tub is Larger, Texas Sidecar makes an even larger one..[Double if you like] ,  Velorex, makes a Small dimension Car..reasonable price too...
HTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users