#16 Buck

Buck

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy riding my Patrol , and spending time with my family

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I use a TomTom rider. it has come in handy more than once. When on a road trip in unfamilar territory it points me to the nearest gas station or food and campgrounds.
It also gets me back on the main road if I plug in the way points . This allows me to back track  when I decide to go off the main trek.  I carry a map but I haven't had to use it since I started using the GPS.

Buck

#17 fnlboy

fnlboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

I have used several GPS systems over the years.  The weather proof units seemed really expensive so I bought a magnetic tank bag with a clear map pocket on the top.  Slid GPS into pocket and just went.  It weathered rain and fog just fine, but I had to put a white piece of paper in the pocket below the GPS in strong sun to cut back the greenhouse effect.

#18 ZONKR

ZONKR

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

I use a Garmin Zumo 550 and love it.  I can find San Antonio with no problem but finding 1234 Bowie Street or something like that is a lot easier with a GPS.  The 550 has the sat radio and listening to Radio Margaritaville on those long stretches at 55 mph makes it a lot more bearable.
2007 Ural Gear Up
2005 BMW R1200GS

#19 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

View PostH20_for_life, on Feb 8 2010, 10:41 AM, said:

I am looking at buying a gps for the bike. I am interested in the Garmin Nuvi 550, any thoughts?

What are you using, wishing you were using?

Zumo 660 here; no compliants, it has worked well so far. Comes with mounts for car and bike and knows which one it's on/in when it's slipped into it's mount.
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

Speed limits: an achievement, not a restriction - Ural

#20 canonmanmart

canonmanmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

I took a different approach to a GPS on my Gear-Up.  I use a Garmen 60 CSx which is a color mapping hand-held unit.  It is mounted with a nifty attachment from "Cycle Gadgets".  Although it can give you door to door directions, I find that distracting on my Bike(s) since I usually take the route less traveled.  You can also use a mapping program on your computer and download the route to the GPS.  Since it is handheld,  you can unclip it and continue your journey on foot if needed.  It is also easily transferred to any of my motorcyles with it's universal handlebar mount.  Also, Its fully waterproof.
Marty
[b]Marty Hymen  "Jersey Devil Chaser"
2008 klr 650
2006 Ural Gear-Up
2004 Roadking-SOLD
1981 HD Wideglide-SOLD
2008 HD Cross Bones-NEW
2009 Ducati Multistrada-NEW

#21 Tom Shellberg

Tom Shellberg

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Bikes

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

View PostSpicy McHaggis, on Feb 7 2010, 08:19 PM, said:

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx that I use for both hiking/hunting/fishing as well as on the bike.  Has maps for it.  Mounted on a RAM mount.
I have the same setup. One Ram on the bars,one in the hack ,and both with an external power plug from the battery. I never even mount it when taking the "long or scenic" routes/trails. Most of those are  familiar routes near home. I do use it (and google earth) and the topo maps on my pc  to research, plan, map, and follow difficult and lengthy rides off road. In some cases this could not be done, practically, with "paper maps and compass". Pulling over every 5 miles to unfold one of a stack of expensive topo maps, get a fix, and decide on a direction just seems a bit much. Now, I plan a trip/route,including some bail out/alternate sections(weather,terrain,water crossings), and only glance down when needing to verify I am on the right track. It works very well, and if you are not using one, you are either not straying far enough away from home on uncharted roads(adventure), or cant afford one, or just stuck in the last century.....Oh yeah, I have a 12v outlet in the hack too for charging my phone.
07 KLR 650
96 650 Tourist
95 DR350
87 K100RT
86 Shadow 1100
85 GS550L

#22 Martyn

Martyn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:before accident,i used to play the bodhran with a folk rock band .i read a lot-especially early Japanese history .i am passionate about motorcycles,i've never had a car.i used to be a support worker, looking after the elderly,infirm,mentally&physically disabled.again untill my accident.

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

View PostH20_for_life, on Feb 7 2010, 11:41 PM, said:

I don't know if this is the right catagory to put this but anyhow...

I am looking at buying a gps for the bike. I am interested in the Garmin Nuvi 550, any thoughts?

I have only done a little research on this but it seems like it would be pretty good, it is waterproof!

Thanks

Kent
Hello H20_for_life,my missus bought a sat nav for her car-she nearly killed us both.she suddenly stopped in the middle lane of a motorway near bridgend s.wales to argue with the damn thing-it has been relegated to the glove compartment if i'm in the car. ride safe and free.martyn aberdare. :beerchug:
illegitimus non tatum carbourundum.

#23 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I am now the owner of a '97 Ural 650 as of 8-27-09

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the good info. Keep it coming... I haven't bought one yet.

Garmin GPSMap 60Cx is leading the pack now. It would be good for when I go backpacking. I like the AA batteries... easy to change out when off backpacking for a few days and they die.

Thanks
Kent
The pride of my fleet, a '97 sportman 650cc Mikuni carbs.

#24 hdflame

hdflame

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting
    Riding Bikes
    Grilling and Smoking
    Upholstery and Leatherwork

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

I'm currently using a Garmin 2610 and love it.  Been using it a few years now but would like to upgrade to the ZUMO 550 for the bike.

I also make  a little sun/glare shade for GPS units that I sell.  Works really good at keeping the glare off the screen when it's mounted to the bike.  I even use it when it's sitting on my truck dash, it keeps the glare from the GPS screen from reflecting off of my windshield at night.

I currently sell them on eBay for $14.95, but if anyone is interested you can go to this site  I have set up for mainly forum members, it'll save you a couple of bucks! :thumbsup!:

www.sunstopper.biz

Ride safe,
Bobby

BTW- if you're coming to the CRAP Rally, I'm bringing some to give away! :cheers:  See you there!

Ride safe,
Bobby
2006 Ural Tourist
2004 Firefighter Edition Road King
Cell 919-353-1096
Custom Lap Robes
Riddle's Custom Upholstery
Email me

#25 David B.

David B.

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

View Posthdflame, on Mar 15 2010, 12:43 PM, said:

I'm currently using a Garmin 2610 and love it.

I also make  a little sun/glare shade for GPS units that I sell.

BTW- if you're coming to the CRAP Rally, I'm bringing some to give away! :biggrin:  See you there!

I've been using a 2610 for a few years now too.

I might join the northern ride-in to CRAP, I'm about due for a decent doorprize :rolleyes:
David B.

Presently;  '07 Tourist

Previously;  '03 Tourist, '04 Patrol, '?? Mt16, '65 MV750

#26 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

View PostDavid B., on Mar 15 2010, 03:29 PM, said:

View Posthdflame, on Mar 15 2010, 12:43 PM, said:

I'm currently using a Garmin 2610 and love it.

I also make  a little sun/glare shade for GPS units that I sell.

BTW- if you're coming to the CRAP Rally, I'm bringing some to give away! :biggrin:  See you there!

I've been using a 2610 for a few years now too.

I might join the northern ride-in to CRAP, I'm about due for a decent doorprize :rolleyes:

Are you going to come to Scott's on wednesday night, I think he still has air mattes room on the floor, or do you want to ride in thursday morning? I thought we were leaving at 9 but last I heard we may be waiting untill 10 for Qball to show up. Aparently Qball must be leaving Conecticut at some ungodly hour in the morning before dawn.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#27 leland

leland

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:59 AM

I'm using a Garmin Zumo 450 refurbished.  Cost $380 from www.megagps.com

View PostH20_for_life, on Feb 7 2010, 07:41 PM, said:

I don't know if this is the right catagory to put this but anyhow...

I have only done a little research on this but it seems like it would be pretty good, it is waterproof!

Thanks

Kent

#28 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I am now the owner of a '97 Ural 650 as of 8-27-09

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the input!

Well I ended up buying a house and some new appliances so the gps got put on hold so maybe in a few months I will be on the lookout for one as long as no too unexpected expences come looking for me.

Kent
The pride of my fleet, a '97 sportman 650cc Mikuni carbs.

#29 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Jeeps, backpacking, beer, camping, shooting, Urals!!!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

I know I'm late on the draw here (like I always am) but I wanted to chime in.  I just got a Zumo 550 for my brithday in February and I've been using it for about a month now.  https://buy.garmin.c...pID=414&ra=true  What I like about it -- glove friendly, the screen is big and easy to see and it's pretty easy to use.  I value the gas gage as well as the speed-o-meter (I get to 55 and my light goes out - can't see how fast / slow I'm going).  I find that I'm riding in the dark a LOT so that feature is very helpful.  A GPS allows me to go places I wouldn't for fear of getting lost (I often Ural alone and a GPS allows me more freedom).

The unit itself is waterproof BUT the cradle it sits in ... is not (and I ride in the rain).  I have talked to other Zumo owners and they LOVE it ... but have had to replace a few cradles already.  My Ural is outside in the parking lot even as I type ... in the rain.  This is the 1st time the cradle been exposed so we shall see how it holds up.  It does have a little rubber stopper that goes over where the GPS connects but I'm sure that only holds out for so long.

My husband paid about $400 (I THINK) for the one he got me (he really surfs the web for good deals).  So make sure you surf around!!

My next project is to hook up my iPhone to the Zumo along w/some type of helmet comm.  And yes ... I have heated gloves, heated vest and MUSIC while I Ural.  I have had my rig since late November and I'm already at 6,500 km - going to add even more this weekend (headed to Canada).  Nothing keeps me home!  Not even the lack of knowing where I'm at ... not any more!  I hope you can get that GPS!!!!!
2009 Gear-Up Sahara
Name: WARCAT

#30 Bill

Bill

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Russian Motorcycles, British Sportscars and beautiful girls like my wife.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

and if you are not using one, you are either not straying far enough away from home on uncharted roads(adventure), or cant afford one, or just stuck in the last century.....Oh yeah, I have a 12v outlet in the hack too for charging my phone.

I am definatly stuck in the last century! I don't use GPS or a cell phone- and my bikes all have a 6v systems!
I do a fair ammount of exploring in the wilds of Kansas, I figure that is what the spare gas can is for!
Mid 60s MV-750M (Bizon)
1953 Ural M-72  (Komendareka)
1974 MZ TS250

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users