#1 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I am now the owner of a '97 Ural 650 as of 8-27-09

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

I don't know if this is the right catagory to put this but anyhow...

I am looking at buying a gps for the bike. I am interested in the Garmin Nuvi 550, any thoughts?

I have only done a little research on this but it seems like it would be pretty good, it is waterproof!

What are you using, wishing you were using?

Thanks

Kent
The pride of my fleet, a '97 sportman 650cc Mikuni carbs.

#2 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles of all kinds! Music, Travel.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

[quote name='H20_for_life' date='Feb 7 2010, 06:41 PM' post='112799'

What are you using, wishing you were using?

Thanks

Kent
[/quote]

A map ,a compass and dead reckoning.  Lo tech rig, lo tech ride for me. :biggrin:
Temporarily Dneprless

#3 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

That is what I do now. Not that it is not fun but... my spedo does not work  :biggrin:  but the odometer does so I haven't replaced it and I was just going to use the gps.

#4 Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx that I use for both hiking/hunting/fishing as well as on the bike.  Has maps for it.  Mounted on a RAM mount.

#5 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

View PostIron Mike, on Feb 7 2010, 08:35 PM, said:

A map ,a compass and dead reckoning.  Lo tech rig, lo tech ride for me. :biggrin:

Perfect description.

Don't do it Kent. First it's just a GPS, then it becomes more. Like heated grips. Pretty soon your addicted- outlets in the hack for monkey heated clothing, cell phone charger, laptop. You graduate to an electric air pump, electric winch, and heaven forbid- a heater for the hack! Just say No! A GPS will ruin your mind, son.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#6 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

Well I did not expect this!

I would never put anything heated on me or my machine... if I cant take the cold then the bike should not be out in it either... things break when it gets that cold. Also the genny would have a hard time. I tend to fight unneccecary equipment simple is good. I was thinking I would use it for all kinds of adventures though.

Well then any good idea's where to find a spedometer for a 97 sportsman 650 with 19 inch wheels? :biggrin:

Kent

#7 Serious Black

Serious Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
    History
    Engine tuning

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:47 AM

I've tried it a couple of times. Cheap 'sale' systems fixed to the bike in a plastic bag using duct tape. This functions fine. I found that GPS got me where I wanted to go but often not by the expected route. This made life interesting and I got to go places few Scotsmen ever have I would imagine. You need to check the set up. Some have settings such as 'shortest distance' 'shortest distance using motorways' 'fastest route' 'motorcycle (Navigon)' and 'random route' I went away from them because I found I used too much time looking at the box rather than the road and scenery. I've found over the years that if you spend a lot of time travelling round a country you get to know skylines and the lay of the land so after a while you can figure your location reasonably accurately by instinct.
The devil is in the detail.

#8 Warthog

Warthog

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

View PostJerseyBlues, on Feb 8 2010, 07:29 AM, said:

Perfect description.

Don't do it Kent. First it's just a GPS, then it becomes more. Like heated grips. Pretty soon your addicted- outlets in the hack for monkey heated clothing, cell phone charger, laptop.

And what's wrong with that, might I ask?

GPS: I have one for when I'm wandering around along tracks and woods.  To be honest, like most others I use a map more than a GPS.  Firstly because a map is easier to read: you can see the region no just a small section.  

However, I do like a GPS for the information it stores, I use it to log any actual or potential camping sites for the future, places that are worth noting etc.  I also tells my how far, fast and long I have travelled.  Not essential info, but nice to know sometimes!  It really comes into it's own when navigating a foreign capital: then it is handy!!  That is when I have used it most in the past.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx.  Handheld, or mounted, waterproof, or can be plugged in toe loom for constant power.  A nice, tidy and, thankfully, cheap unit
Boldly going where common sense fears to tread..... and then limping back again.

Sportman 2007: "The Improbability Magnet"

#9 sweep

sweep

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:after 32 years as a chimney sweep im in to metal and have built everything from Jousting suits to custom jewelry. I currently am a licensed Firearms Manufacture and class 3 Dealer .

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:33 AM

i have a tom tom rider lets me go any were with music phone and nav no wires that said if i had to do it again i would put in a starcom 1 digital com system in as my cardio head sets are crap and you lose music when the nav talks
Me mother died when i was young before i got me toung ,To the sweep i was apprenticed while i was quite still young ! Weep Weep your chimneys i now sweep, and in soot i sleep.

csia certified chimney sweep & FFL07 sot

#10 Gummiente

Gummiente

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, drums, beer, food

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:43 AM

I used to be a "paper map and compass" kinda guy until last week. I'm in training for my new job as a trucker and my driver trainer has a Garmin Nuvi 255 mounted on the dash of his Freightliner. I could not buh-LEEVE how handy that little sucker was... drove through a nasty winter storm in upper Michigan on Tuesday night and while I couldn't see the road signs because of the wet snow covering them, that little GPS knew exactly where we were the entire trip. It took me right to the customer's location, which made driving so much easier as I didn't have to look at my handwritten route notes every few minutes. It took so much stress out of the drive that I vowed I would get one for myself - and two days ago I found the exact same unit on sale for $179 at Canadian Tire. It's now sitting on my desk, programmed with a bunch of customer addresses and ready for my next trip. When the weather warms up and I start taking the Ural and Harley on longer trips, it will be mounted on the handlebars.

I have seen the light and have been converted.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
oVc Sales & Service
www.uralontario.ca

#11 berger

berger

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

View PostSpicy McHaggis, on Feb 7 2010, 10:19 PM, said:

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx that I use for both hiking/hunting/fishing as well as on the bike.  Has maps for it.  Mounted on a RAM mount.

X2!  The Nuvi 550 is built for bikes, but have you seen how expensive and big it is? The 60Cx is waterproof and is excellent for the Ural. It doesn't take up a lot of real estate on the bars.
Berger

2007 Patrol
R75 exhaust
Modtop Airbox
138/45 Jets
Gossie Needles
CJ750 24L Tank/Karcoma Petcock
7/64 Drilled Carb Slide

#12 John D

John D

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Family, Motorcycles, Hunting, Diving.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

The one nice thing about using a GPS on the bike is I can't hear it nagging me at speed ;)
JD
2006 URAL Patrol
1968 HONDA CL 350

#13 DavidL19

DavidL19

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

I have the Zumo 550, not sure if its different than the nuvi. It is water proof "according to their site" but I don't ride in the rain and here is the link for Zumo 550 GPS. Good luck with finding the right gps for you. If you have any good routes please post them on my online route map. I am looking for routes all over the world please post them at Allstate Insurance route map or Allstate Insurance Moto map. I am an affiliate of allstate and thus I am using their web pages for my own information, thanks.

David Lipsky

#14 Terry Crawford

Terry Crawford

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Ural dealer located in southeast Michigan

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

View PostH20_for_life, on Feb 8 2010, 01:28 AM, said:

Well I did not expect this!

I would never put anything heated on me or my machine... if I cant take the cold then the bike should not be out in it either... things break when it gets that cold. Also the genny would have a hard time. I tend to fight unneccecary equipment simple is good. I was thinking I would use it for all kinds of adventures though.

Well then any good idea's where to find a spedometer for a 97 sportsman 650 with 19 inch wheels? :biggrin:

Kent

Kent  
New speedometer - $41.95 plus shipping. Old style speedometer cable to fit your bike - $11.09. We have them in stock.
Crawford Sales Co. in Michigan
Terry Crawford
Becky Blosser - Web Master
248-437-8107

Crawford Sales Company

crawfordsales@sbcglobal.net

#15 RockyNH

RockyNH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

I have used a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for years and recently picked upa 2730.  I will be wiring that on the Ural in the spring..

I would have liked a Zumo 550 but Garmin is just too proud of them, as in $$$$

Pat in  NH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users