#1 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I am now the owner of a '97 Ural 650 as of 8-27-09

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:38 AM

Ok guy's, So I just got home from a ride and it was 13 F (about -10.5 C). All I have to say is, IT WAS COLD, but it could have been worse.  

Just wondering what the coldest other's have ridden in?
The pride of my fleet, a '97 sportman 650cc Mikuni carbs.

#2 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles of all kinds! Music, Travel.

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

I've had the Rig out in 10-15' F days but just pottering about when I got cold I headed home. The worst ever was a Spring road trip I took a few years back where the day we headed out it was low 50's and we stayed in Albuquerque for the night next day when the group got up the thermometer was stuck in the mid 20's and we had hundreds of miles to go to get to southern NM and Az where the temps were mild. Sustained riding in this was brutal and inspite of cold weather gear we were all going hypothermic.

Being that New Mexico is sparsely populated and seldom patroled my reasoning was I'd be about as cold at 130 mph as I would 65 mph so I wicked the the 1200 Bandit I was on up to 130 and got down to the south as quick as I could. Another buddy of mine did the same and we were basking in the sunshine in Carizozo for some time before the rest of the group pulled in near frozen. We all agreed that sustained riding at that  temp for so long was the worst we'd ever done!
Temporarily Dneprless

#3 Gummiente

Gummiente

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, drums, beer, food

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

My coldest ride was at -30C (-22F) on a dark 50km morning commute to work about two years ago. Had to stop twice along the way because the carbs froze up. Also lost the gas cap and the original Norbert The Navi-Duck, too.

But that pales in comparison to our CURD Polar Bear Queen "YKStorm", who took her Ural out on 31 Dec 08 at -41C (-42F)...

Posted Image
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
oVc Sales & Service
www.uralontario.ca

#4 DirtyDR

DirtyDR

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

The coldest it's been this month is -29f but I think the coldest ride to work this month was only -12f on the thermometer at Beaver Creek. http://www.weather.c...6hr_topnav_boat  
I rode in -30f last Winter on one of the rides to work but -20f is not uncommon any year. It was actually pretty warm on yesterdays ride to work:

Attached Files

Dana
2006 Blue soccer-mom-mobile

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

#5 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I am now the owner of a '97 Ural 650 as of 8-27-09

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Wow! I was not expecting -41. Yikes thats cold. And people around here say I'm crazy :feelssogood: . I plan to stay away from the negetive numbers... but then again I don't have the heated gear, the generator wont take it.
The pride of my fleet, a '97 sportman 650cc Mikuni carbs.

#6 Gummiente

Gummiente

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, drums, beer, food

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

View PostH20_for_life, on Jan 10 2010, 12:06 PM, said:

And people around here say I'm crazy

I get that a lot, too. Whenever someone calls me "Crazy Bastid" I just give them a thoughtful look and say "I prefer the term All Weather Motorcycle Enthusiast, actually". :feelssogood:

BTW, our YKStorm lives up in Yellowknife of the Northwest Territories, so she wins any cold weather ride contests by default.  :smile:
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
oVc Sales & Service
www.uralontario.ca

#7 greenmachine

greenmachine

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Been out at -20F range many times....  

Anybody that says that ain't cold is just nuts. I do it now and then, but it's colder than crap and that's all there is to it. I would say " it won't kill ya " , but maybe that isn't true ....  

Darned good thing we ain't SISSIES!

I have to admit that bein back in the great white north this week and goin ridin this morning at around 0F was quite cold to me this year, since I didn't have my usual winter duds readily available. I missed my heated liner and gloves but mostly I missed the balaclava and goggles. I was ridin with a face shield and no balaclava and I thought my eyeballs was gonna freeze...
My nice goggles are of course sittin in the coach back in the desert, nice and warm no doubt.

Froggy got to runnin nasty for a bit due to some crud on the right carb float valve, maybe a speck of goop or some ice crystals. I looked down there and found the vent dripping and I got the hammer out and gave it few whacks, no go. Got out the air pump and popped the vent cover and gave it a couple shots. All better. This was a GOOD thing cuz I didn't have on my warm winter boots fer walkin .....   Froggy wouldn't do THAT to me. He knows I would rather throw a match on him and warm my hands as he melted into the snow ....

;-)
kermitski
of the great white north
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#8 JHVA

JHVA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

14 deg F Rode 100 miles. It is my threshold. Below 14 and I drive a car.
2007 Ural Tourist 'Suka'
1975 Honda CL360K1
2009 BMW R1200GS

#9 co_g30

co_g30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Uraling, Airhead Beemers, photography

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

my personal lowest is -7 fahrenheit:

cold commute week
CO_G30
2011 Ural Patrol "Valencia"
2006 Suzuki V-Strom/Dauntless Sidecar
1987 BMW R80 "Brigitta"
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
Redleg's Rides

#10 harleych

harleych

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

-10C is fun, -20 C I ran once 400km
there is russian who want run soon alone in sibiria (from krasnoyarsk to magadan)...waiting -50C.
http://burndown.ru/

let see what happen.

#11 africalight

africalight

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle Tourism<br />Engineering/Manufacturing<br />Disk Golf<br />Paintball-Action Pursuit Games (Woodsball, Scenarios)<br />African news<br />Innovative products<br />Low-tech enviro friendly systems<br />Solar/Wind/Hydro<br />Research Biodiesel for Illinois Institute of Rural Affairs

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

I pulled out of the garage at -10F and rode for 45 min at 55mph. Only thing really got cold on me was my feet.

Ryan
2006 Patrol (Green with disappearing chrome)

#12 pegalegpete

pegalegpete

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

I think about -20 back and forth to my leather shop. If I have to go any distance I plug in heated grips I added and wear my Choko insulated chaps and I'm fine. I you want to keep your hands warm go to WWW.symtec-inc.com they work great. Rick

#13 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Q: The coldest I've ever ridden?

A:
    Attached File  snow.jpg   201.9K   5 downloads
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#14 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

A couple of years ago, at the FART rally, a group decided to ride from the campground in Black Mountain, NC to the top of Mt. Mitchell (6600 feet).  When we left, it was a brisk fall day, but when we arrived at the top, it was terrifically cold and extremely windy.  We did pass a rock formation with icicles hanging from it.  That should have been a clue but we kept going.  The restaurant at the top ran out of ceramic cups to serve hot chocolate in (I have to say it was totally awesome hot chocolate, btw).

We didn't hang around too long for the view, and as we went back down it got warmer and warmer and I stopped shivering.  The icicles on the rocks had melted when we passed them again.

Sitting in the sidecar, my upper body got cold.  I was wearing a good leather jacket, and layered pretty well underneath the jacket.  My feet stayed toasty warm, which I attribute to the Rich Maund Sidecar Curtain <TM>.  

Later we found that the temp at the top was -8 F.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#15 Martyn

Martyn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:before accident,i used to play the bodhran with a folk rock band .i read a lot-especially early Japanese history .i am passionate about motorcycles,i've never had a car.i used to be a support worker, looking after the elderly,infirm,mentally&physically disabled.again untill my accident.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

View PostH20_for_life, on Jan 10 2010, 08:38 AM, said:

Ok guy's, So I just got home from a ride and it was 13 F (about -10.5 C). All I have to say is, IT WAS COLD, but it could have been worse.  

Just wondering what the coldest other's have ridden in?
hello h20_for_life,the coldest i've ridden in is my ex-wife!! No,seriously,a couple of years ago,i was riding to birmingham[uk] from south wales,i had to stop for a pee in leominster,my hands were so cold i couldnt undo my zip,so i held my hands between my legs and peed myself and warmed my hands the same time.my controls were frozen so i had to use the cut off switch to slow down. :beerchug:
ride safe and free,martyn.aberdare.
illegitimus non tatum carbourundum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users