Jersey Devil Hunt May 14-16

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: campsite (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Where shall we stay

1. Paradise Lake (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Atsion (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. Byrne (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

Mark your callenders. The 2010 Jersey Devil Hunt will be may 14-16. For those who have not been there before our main activity is trail riding. We eat in diners for breakfast and dinner. Rarely make it off the trails for lunch. Then have beer around the campfire.

I'm seeking opinions on where to go.

Paridise Lake: Our usual site. Last time they had a problem with the water heater and there was no hot shower. They never have any paper products in the bathrooms. It cost more than the state parks. On the plus side we can drink openly.

Atsion: Cheaper than Paridise Lake. The showers always work. It's 6 miles north of Paridise Lake so we can still breakfast at Nina's. On the negative side if you are caught drinking openly by the Ranger you risk a $250 fine and being thrown out of the park. If you use mugs and keep it descreate it is not a problem.

Byrne: Also a state park. Same negatives as above. No Ranger because of budget cuts. Patroled by State Park Police. We got away with drinking openly last time because coverage is so light. Plus= less people go there. Negative= smaller than Wharton State Forest. Negative= no Nina's

Wharton is 110,000 acres.
Byrne is 35,000 acres plus the Greenwood tract of 25,000 acres across the street.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#2 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Atsion.

Paradise is a pit. Riff raff hangs there. They got ticks. And those phuckin' birds that squawk in the middle of the night!

Byrne is small. We pretty much saw all the good stuff while we were there. Twice.

We're going to have a crowd this year, I'm guessing. Atsion will be able to accomodate us all better than Paradise since they don't have year-round campers in there, etc. And they have cabins you can rent if you want  :beerchug:

We didn't run out of trail last spring- there's plenty more over to the east that is virgin stuff to anyone that's been on the Devil Hunt in the past.

Besides, the Jersey Devil lives/feeds in Wharton in the spring.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#3 rjmidge

rjmidge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:58 AM

i am for atsion as a change and ninas is a plus   sparta bob

#4 uraldude

uraldude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

View Postrjmidge, on Nov 11 2009, 09:58 AM, said:

i am for atsion as a change and ninas is a plus   sparta bob
:beerchug:

It isn't a spring Devil hunt without Nina's  :feelssogood:

-JD

#5 David B.

David B.

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Here's my take;

First thing,  I like the dates chosen.   A couple of weeks before Memorial Day sounds perfect.

I really like the idea of Wharton in the Spring and Byrne for our Fall weekend.

Paradise is a DUMP!  We've put up with it getting worse and worse for the last four years just so we could enjoy beer without worry.  All the while, their prices have increased.   The location is great and the facility has potential, but until the owners get their act together...I say pass.

Atsion will have the ameniTITies to which we've become accustomed for breakfast and easy access to riding so it will do well.  I suspect this is where we'll end up...

Just for discussion's sake,  here are some other options;
   1) There's another state run family campground in Wharton.  Similar to Atsion but far from Nina's
   2) I know of one other private campground IN Wharton, Wading Pines.   Also far from Nina's and $50 a night!
   3) Other private campgrounds out of the park requiring several miles of asphalt/traffic to hit the trails.

4) This one might work but it'll take a little more effort.  There is a primitive camping area near the Carranza Memorial.  Running water, pit toilets, no showers, no electricity.   Kinda far from the diner option so we'd likely have to do a little more "camping",  maybe even prepare our own breakfast!  We could still make a dinner run though :rolleyes:    This would take more of a group effort but we'd be closer to the devil's lair and the cost of primitive group sites is only $2 pp/night  .    I think I'd like to try this at least once.
David B.

Presently;  '07 Tourist

Previously;  '03 Tourist, '04 Patrol, '?? Mt16, '65 MV750

#6 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

View PostJerseyBlues, on Nov 11 2009, 12:45 AM, said:

Atsion.

Paradise is a pit. Riff raff hangs there. They got ticks. And those phuckin' birds that squawk in the middle of the night!

Byrne is small. We pretty much saw all the good stuff while we were there. Twice.

We're going to have a crowd this year, I'm guessing. Atsion will be able to accomodate us all better than Paradise since they don't have year-round campers in there, etc. And they have cabins you can rent if you want  :rolleyes:

We didn't run out of trail last spring- there's plenty more over to the east that is virgin stuff to anyone that's been on the Devil Hunt in the past.

Besides, the Jersey Devil lives/feeds in Wharton in the spring.

If you want a cabin at Atsion you have to reserve far in advance and rent it for the whole week at $28 a night.
New Jersey Ken,
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04

#7 David B.

David B.

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

I just saw there was primitive/group camping available at Atsion too.

http://www.nj.gov/de...goshen-map.html
David B.

Presently;  '07 Tourist

Previously;  '03 Tourist, '04 Patrol, '?? Mt16, '65 MV750

#8 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

View PostIVANGROZNEY, on Nov 11 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

If you want a cabin at Atsion you have to reserve far in advance and rent it for the whole week at $28 a night.

Oh. Never mind...

Here I am trying to make for cushy arrangements and ReCycled is wanting to rough it!  :rolleyes:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#9 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

It's been decided, through the poll and ahem formal meeting, It's going to be Atsion. You have to take care of paying for your own campsite, I think they allow 2 tents and 6 people per site so we can group up some what. there are no hookups. There are flush toilets, showers and pumps. Try to group near the bath house. This is a light traffic time of year so you can probably move you site.

Sad to say Nina's is gone. It is now called the Out Post or somthing like that. We'll probably give it a try. There is still the Shmog Dinner, The Pically, Mary's and the dinner in Hampton.

For those that have not been there before our main activity is trail riding. A knobby helps but is not nessicary. Your bike will get dirty. We have coffee in the campground, leave around 9 to go out for a big breakfast, ride trails, sometimes get off the trails for lunch but not always (bring snacks and water), ride more trails, go out for dinner then drink around the campfire.

We are in a State park this time and they frown at drinking so bring mugs and keep it descreate. You are risking a $250 fine and being thrown out of the park. Everyone dose it and they know it. This park is better patrolled than Byrne, Where they laid off the rangers and it was the State troopers problem.
New Jersey Ken,
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04

#10 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

So where does Nina work now? <_<

Maybe we can get QBall to come down and cook something for dinner????
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#11 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

It's just over a month away...who's coming? Can we get a head count going?
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#12 XtremeMachines.us

XtremeMachines.us

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

I added this onto our events calendar. For people who work Friday and Saturday, will they be able to meet up with you guys on Sunday?

#13 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

View PostXtremeMachines.us, on Apr 10 2010, 10:50 PM, said:

I added this onto our events calendar. For people who work Friday and Saturday, will they be able to meet up with you guys on Sunday?

Here's something even better XtremeMachines- come on down Saturday after work and spend the night. We're going to be doing a night run and videoing it with a night vision camera! (Before we start serious drinking  :biggrin: )

Typically the more or less local folks ride in, set up camp and go for a woods ride Friday afternoon. Others arrive and we go to eat Friday night. Then drink Russian adult beverages until way too late. Saturday am we'll head out, stopping somewhere for breakfast, then into the Pineys to get lost, muddy, and hopefully find our way out again. Saturday night we'll probably do the night run. Sunday most of us head for home, since we have to vacate the campground and then we're packing too heavy for spirited trail riding.

We welcome you to join us- heck, we've never had a dealer attend the Jersey Devil Hunt. You could make a lot of friends...
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#14 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

View PostXtremeMachines.us, on Apr 10 2010, 10:50 PM, said:

If the weather is good a few of us stay for a sunday ride, we're usually done by early in the after noon.
New Jersey Ken,
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04

#15 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

A SS poster from SC may be attending with his wife; QBall and his daughter will be attending;

Red25- are you still interested in getting your Red October muddy?

...and a couple of other 'maybes'.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users