• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#31 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Jeeps, backpacking, beer, camping, shooting, Urals!!!

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome Old Skool!!   :beerchug:

I have spent most of my morning reading old posts and breathing life into some past threads.  I am learning a lot already!  I'm glad this forum is here because I KNOW I will have questions once I get my rig.  I am having a good time looking at all the pictures!!  WOW!  I seriously can't wait to get my Sahara!!

I haven't started on my foil beanie yet but I DO have ideas in my head of what it should look like.  I am still torn on what brand of foil but I think I will figure it out.

... off to read more ...
2009 Gear-Up Sahara
Name: WARCAT

#32 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

I keep e-mailing the dealer about my Ural because every day I think up a NEW questions for him.  Poor guy!  I bet he can't wait to off load this thing so I will go away!  *laugh*

I asked him how many Ural Sahara models there were in the US and this is what he tells me;

There were only supposed to be 18 Saharas but then that number balooned to 30. I believe the final number is around 50 but no more will be produced. Ural does a limited edition every year. We have done 5 in the black (like yours); 1 went to switzerland, 2 to NC, 1 to Seattle (but it moved to NV) and 1 to Puyallup (yours)!

It's kind of a delight knowing that I won't mistake my rig in the parking lot for somebody else's!   :beerchug:

NEW on the "Stuff-to-Do" List is to build a Ural trailer.  I loved the one Rich has (thanks for the idea Rich!!), I know where to get the material and I have a place to work on it.   I can't wait to get workin' on this, too!
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#33 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hey!  Look what I found at the gun show today ... Russian Ammo!  I need AK ammo but I didn't buy any today.  Man!  If I had the Ural ... what better cargo for the sidecar than ... AMMO!!

I sent the dealer at Ural NW an e-mail enquiring about my payment Friday.  I told him the proof of delivery card came back to me and some guy named Mark signed for it.  He replies back; "Mark who?"  I about soiled myself!  Come to find out he was just jerkin' my chain!  Everything got there safely and now I have DOL crap to fill out.  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  YOU GUYS SICK OF ME YET?!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!

Attached Files

2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#34 jules

jules

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

Na, I am not sick of you Tracy. Actually I am thrilled to see someone so thrilled to be getting a Ural.
You will love it more and more every day.
Good luck and best wishes.
Jules
2008 URAL TOURIST

I started out with nothing and have most of it left.

#35 reimerdavid

reimerdavid

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:56 AM

View PostTracer_Fire, on Oct 24 2009, 08:21 PM, said:

Hey!  Look what I found at the gun show today ... Russian Ammo!  I need AK ammo but I didn't buy any today.  Man!  If I had the Ural ... what better cargo for the sidecar than ... AMMO!!

I sent the dealer at Ural NW an e-mail enquiring about my payment Friday.  I told him the proof of delivery card came back to me and some guy named Mark signed for it.  He replies back; "Mark who?"  I about soiled myself!  Come to find out he was just jerkin' my chain!  Everything got there safely and now I have DOL crap to fill out.  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  YOU GUYS SICK OF ME YET?!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!  ANOTHER STEP CLOSER!

#36 reimerdavid

reimerdavid

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

View PostTracer_Fire, on Oct 24 2009, 08:21 PM, said:

Welcome, I to am waiting for my 2009 Sahara and would like to see pictures of yours when she arrives. No one knows for sure what these bikes will show up wearing from Russia. Good luck.

Dave from New Jersey, the State not the Movie

#37 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome Dave from New Jersey (the State not the movie)!   :thumbsup!:

WOOT to you getting a '09 Sahara, too!!  When will you get it?  I THINK I will be picking mine up November 23rd (the jury is still out on that one).  I asked the dealer to totally deck mine out (ammo can, fuel can {which can't be used for fuel OR drinking water}, 1st aid kit, shovel, Enduro tires and blacked out engine components).  

I love the little blip Ural NW put on their website;  "See you soon in the sand deserts, stone deserts, asphalt deserts, ice deserts, snow deserts, city deserts, salt deserts, cold deserts, foggy deserts, windy desert, Mars deserts, water deserts, coast deserts, dry deserts of this world!"  I am surly to cross at leas ONE of these "desserts" here in WA! *laugh*

Keep us posted on your new arrival!!  I think I'm just as excited as you!

TRACER
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#38 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

You guys ... is this about right ...

ENGINE BREAK IN SCHEDULE:

1st 500km (approx 810 miles) keep UNDER 40 mph
2nd 500km (approx 810 miles) keep UNDER 45 mph
3rd 500km (approx 810 miles) keep UNDER 50 mph

Keep UNDER 60 mph until 5000km (approx 3,110 miles) is reached

I rounded up w/the km to miles
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#39 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Welcome to the board!

We need more women around here. Keeps the tone right...

:thumbsup!:

:feelssogood:

Dub
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#40 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome Dub!!  They always told me I wasn't quite right!   :thumbsup!:   Pug 'em!  I usually end up where I belong.  I'm glad to be here!  NOW ... if I could ONLY get myself to spend LESS time on the computer! *laugh*
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#41 BurnPgh

BurnPgh

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:01 AM

Got your math messed up. 5000 km is 3106 mi

#42 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:54 AM

D'oh!  Some how this doesn't surprise me!   :cheers:  I fixed it.  THANKS!
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#43 heindlengineeringural

heindlengineeringural

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:10 AM

View PostTracer_Fire, on Oct 25 2009, 01:53 PM, said:

You guys ... is this about right ...

ENGINE BREAK IN SCHEDULE:

1st 500km (approx 810 miles) keep UNDER 40 mph
2nd 500km (approx 810 miles) keep UNDER 45 mph
3rd 500km (approx 810 miles) keep UNDER 50 mph

Keep UNDER 60 mph until 5000km (approx 3,110 miles) is reached

I rounded up w/the km to miles

Don't worry about maximum speeds during breakin.  Besides servicing the rig, there are three very important things to do under break in: Vary your RPMs (run up and down) 2) allow the rig to cool down frequently (say, drive for 1/2 hr and let it cool down) 3)don't lug the motor (don't use 4th if you are under 37mph).  Do those three things with you motor under breakin, and it will last a long time.
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Ural Dealer in Southwest Ohio
(937) 787-3686
Heindl Engineering, LLC

#44 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the tips on breaking in an new engine!!  I have saved all this stuff in my note pad so when the time comes I know EXACTLY what to do.

I have yet another question; GOT OIL?!  How do I go about conducting my oil changes?  When?  How often?  What type of oil do I use?  Any tips on servicing?  I know little about mechanics but can figure the basics out.
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#45 Red25

Red25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

Thank You for asking all the right questions!

I, like you Tracer, have no experience with cycles 2 or 3 wheel. I promised my wife when we got married that when we retired I would buy her a motorcycle with a side car. Wellll....it's now 45 years later and we are waiting breathlessly to get our "Red October" Patrol. We both feel like kids at their 1st birthday party. All I want to do is have a smile on my face when driving again. I really haven't enjoyed motoring for years, but the expectation of the Ural has us both nearly faint.  If it's half the fun we expect, and read about, life will be GREAT!

Red25
'10 Red October - "Baba Yaga"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users