• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#16 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Beautiful Wife, Beer, Bikes, Boats, Books, British Cars.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

Welcome!

My wife and I took the Evergreen Safety Council's S/TEP classes, we were in one of their first classes. The instructors are top notch! They have a few different brands of motorcycle/sidecar rigs, so you get to try out some different combos. My wife, Olga, even got a better final score than me! She prefers to be the hack monkey though. We've made a couple of long trips, one up hwy. 101 to Port Angeles and on to Victoria BC, then to Saltspring Is. BC. Another trip, also on back roads, to Portland OR.

Congrats on your new Ural!

Dave
RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#17 IceQueen

IceQueen

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Whitewater Rafting, Being owned by cats

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

Welcome from another hack lady! Hope you can get your husband to at least take a ride with you. My beau, a very experienced motorcyclist himself, loves the monkey seat.  Be prepared for the previously-mentioned UDF as well as WOB factor - Woman on Bike. The combo is quite the conversation starter.  Best of luck!
Melanie
2007 Ural Gear Up Arctic Limited Edition, "Snowbeast"
1998 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer, "Hrududu"
2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650, "Farkle Monster"

#18 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Jeeps, backpacking, beer, camping, shooting, Urals!!!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!  This has already proved to be a good time!!  

Hi Dave from Olympia!  Iím actually from Puyallup but who the hell knows where thatís at!! HAHA!  I am taking my training through Evergreen Safety Council as well (their S/TEP class).  Iím glad you gave the instructors such a high rating!  I canít wait!!  CONGRATS to Olga for the score!  *big smile*  I love the 101 route to Port Angeles to Victoria but Iíve only ever done this in my Jeep.  What a blast this will be in the Ural!  Do you ride w/any other groups that are local?

New verbiage for me.  Hack.  I take it thatís another name for the sidecars?  Sorry.  My only defense is that Iím new.  *blush*
Hi Melanie!!  WOW!  A í07 Arctic!!!  I just read about this on the other day!  BEAUTIFUL!  I just love the color!!  I hope I can get my husband on board w/me but I doubt it.  I think he sees it as totally un-manly to ride in the sidecar.  Iíve already informed him that this would be my bike so itís either sidecar or sit on the porch and watch me go by! *laugh*  WOB & UDF Ö it should be interesting!  My 1st battle is to learn how to operate the damn thing.  Everybody is giving me a hard time because I went right for the Ural vs. learning how to operate a junker two wheeler 1st.   I have faith that Iíll figure it out.
2009 Gear-Up Sahara
Name: WARCAT

#19 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

There are a couple of other sidecar people who I meet for the annual Olympia toy run, one guy, Morry has an old flat head Dnepr, the other guy, Tony, has a BMW with a Ural Sidecar, I have only met up with them at the toy run.

It's good to have no solo experience, when learning to drive a sidecar rig. Yes, you drive a sidecar/motorcycle, you ride a motorcycle. There is nothing about riding a solo that will help you learn driving a sidecar bike, almost everything is different!

If you have a dog, they love to ride in the sidecar! There is barely enough room for our dog, Bailey, to get in the Hack with Olga, but they manage!  

Dave

Attached Files

RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#20 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

Hey Dave!!

Who do you do the anual toy run for?  Any organization?  I will have to see if I can't find that guy at work who has that Gear-Up.  I haven't seen it in a few weeks but I know he had it in the annual employee car show.

I'm glad to know that it's ok not to have any solo experience ... no bad habits, right?  I'm sure you guys will be the 1st to learn how I did.

Ok ... so I am learning to drive a sidecar rig.  Check.  See all the stuff I am learning already??  Lingo!!!!!!

I loved the picture of Baily, you and Olga!  FUN TIMES!  Alas ... I don't have a dog.  Just two big, orange, fat cats who would soil their cat pants if they went along w/me! AHAHAH!

Night!  Off to dream Ural!!!!!!!!

TRACER
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#21 warbaby

warbaby

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:49 AM

Welcome Tracer,
    I've just joined a month ago so I'm a newbie too. Maybe not the best to advise but I have learned a couple of things important.

Don't forget to turn off your petcock when parked.  Make sure your tire pressures are up-- effects handling a lot.
What do you mean you are taking a sidecar class?

My sister lives in Seattle.  I love visiting her... beautiful place.
Of course I visited Lenin's statue while there...
Warbaby

Tybee Island,
Ga.

#22 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:14 AM

Morning Warbaby

Here in WA they require a different endorsement for 3-wheeled vehicles (trikes / sidecars).  Three different endorsements can be obtained;  motorcycle, trike/sidecar or motorcycle, trike/sidecar combo.  I think it's just the way for the state to get more $.  I am taking a class because I didn't know how to operate it and once I get my completion card I can march right into the DOL and get my endorsement.  Kind of like a 1 stop shoppin'!  

Thanks for the tips.  Every little thing helps right now!  I plan on printing out a sidecar manual and reading it at work today.  If I have to look busy I might as well be learning something important (and non-work related! HAHA)!!

Seattle (as well as WA) is a pretty area!  That's for sure!  I moved here in Oct of '99 from TX (where I was an MP in the Army) and before that I lived in WI.  I miss WI but I sure don't miss the bitter cold and the snow Ahole deep to a tall lumberjack! HAHA!

>Of course I visited Lenin's statue while there...
        I have seen this as I zipped by ... NOW I have a reason so stop!!  I got to go to Russia during the Christmas of 1995 and actually saw Lenin's tumb!  FREAKY!!

Off to the salt minds I go ... work, work, work ... it's called "WORK" because all the other 4-lettered words were taken!!
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#23 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

Olympia Toy Run:

http://www.olytoyrun.com/index.php

There are usually about 5000 to 6000 motorcycles there. Last year, only 7 of those had sidecars! but there seem to be more every year.

We got our picture in the 2006 photo galley on the Oly Toy Run Website. We are in the Bike and Riders section.

Dave
RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#24 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Wow!  Great organization!  Looks like a ball!!  What a great way to get toys to kids!  My husband is a former Marine so we donate to the Toys for Tots yearly.  We might have to get a let up on this toy run, too!  I could be the 8th sidecar to the mix!  *laugh*

I found your picture in the 2006 section!  Love the horns and the Rudolf red noise!  AWESOME!

... off to look at more Christmas picture ...
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#25 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

One of my buddies at work made me this sign for my Sahara.  I can see it now!  I park it, go inside somewhere and come out to see some dirt bag having a sit down for a photo opp!

Attached Files

2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#26 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

It's happened before.
Someone either here or at Soviet Steeds had to punch a guy in the face when he started getting aggressive about the Ural owner getting PO'd...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#27 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

I read the foil post Ö I still need more schooling because I donít understand it (yet).  Give me time!

Welcome to the Foil :thumbsup!:

Origins of Foilhead. The is a bmw group called the "Airheads" after thier air cooled motors. Since Urals have a symilar motor to the old air cooled beemers the Ural owners in the 90's came up with the name "Foilheads" because of the air coolng foils on the motors. From there it is a very short step to wearing protective foil beanies to keep the government mind control waves out. This leads to foil hat compititions at some of the larger rallies.

Attached Files

New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#28 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

So Scott ... you're telling me to invest in brass nuckles, too?  *snicker*  

THANKS for the educational session Ivan!!  I read the latest foil thread and I had no idea what was going on.  NOW I do!  LOVE the pictures!  They made me laugh out loud!!  Now I need to think up a deisgn!  I don't want to be THAT GIRL w/o a foil beanie!  I need to keep them government mind control waves at bay!

Off to see Zombie land!  I can think up my design during previews! haha!
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#29 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:08 PM

So I mailed off my check for my Sahara today. At least I got to feel like I had some bucks in my pocket for a moment there!! *laugh* Just another step closer to having it in the drive way!! I also went down to the local bike shop and picked up a pair of First Gear pants. I didn't even have Ural gear before this!! Now...just to wait until my sidecar class!! Can't wait!!!
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#30 OldSkool

OldSkool

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:I Have a dnepr imported from the Ukraine i bought locally from a young man who gave up after trying to convert it to solo,

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

Welcome to the foil, The best people on the web, My DNEPR would not be running without the help from everyone on this site. :beerchug:
MY DNEPR PAGE

DNEPR MT 11

1985 BMW K100

2006 Dodge Dakota Slt Crew Cab

"No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size.
So, governments' programs, once launched,
never disappear.
Actually,
a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life
we'll ever see on this earth.".R.W.R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users