• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Jeeps, backpacking, beer, camping, shooting, Urals!!!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

I just bought my 1st motor bike on 13Oct09 and I went w/the Ural Sahara.  I should have it in a month (it comes out of the shipping crate TODAY as a matter-o-fact).  I am very new to the wonderful world of The Ural as well as bikes in general.  I don't even know how to ride yet!!  D'oh!  I will take my sidecar class next month (SUCCESSFULLY passing I hope) and I will be off to join a Ural biker gang!!  This is also the 1st time I have ever joined a club or a forum of any kind ... so I'm still learning my way around.  I have a lot of reading to do.  I'm pretty shell shocked over the whole experience.  I can't believe I'm going to be a Ural owner!  WOOT!  How exciting!!  I only wish I would have picked it up in the spring vs. the winter.  Oh, well.

I just wanted to give a shout out, express my newness and say "hi".

Cheers!
      :thumbsup!:

Attached Files

2009 Gear-Up Sahara
Name: WARCAT

#2 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

Surely SOMEBODY has SOME words of wisdom for me ...
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#3 H20_for_life

H20_for_life

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I am now the owner of a '97 Ural 650 as of 8-27-09

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

Congrat's and Welcome!

I can't help you much. I am pretty new also!

Friday's seem to be pretty slow on here.
The pride of my fleet, a '97 sportman 650cc Mikuni carbs.

#4 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

Surely SOMEBODY has SOME words of wisdom for me ...
Keep two outta three on the ground,
the shiney side up,
the rubber side down...

While you are waiting for your Sahara, you can get aquainted with some sidecar principles...
http://www.sidecar.com/Hal.htm
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#5 RDN

RDN

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, restoring cars & bikes, outdoor life and my family most of all.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

Wecome to the foil, you're going to have a blast!  There is a lot of Ural owners out your way, keep your eye's peled for the Northwet pod.
Rusty Newman
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
"A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse"

#6 kraut-60

kraut-60

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

Welcome! Pleased to have you aboard...I'm sure you'll have a grin that dont go away once you get your rig goin' down the road...keep some weight in the hack, but DO learn to fly the chair...it's a skill. As far as "Ural Biker gangs"...well, I heard the Sons Of Stalin are taking prospects... :thumbsup!:
2007 Gear-Up Desert Camo "Lotta Funn"
2009 Mustang "Bullitt" The Lieutenant
2003 Rott-ador OZZY "Crummy Dog"
1999 Ford CVPI "winter beater" the sergeant

#7 P11 Ranger

P11 Ranger

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Blues Guitar, Cooking

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

Welcome from another newbie here. This is my first post to the forum. I got my 2006 Gearup 4 weeks ago. It has rained almost every day since! I love it and haven't stopped smiling yet. It is a blast and you will love your Sahara.
I wish I could locate a sidecar training course somewhere in the Knoxville TN area.
Paul
2006 Ural Gear-Up
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"

#8 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles of all kinds! Music, Travel.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

Motorcycles open up an entirely new world! Welcome to it .  :thumbsup!: Different set of friends, adventure, travel, bugs in your teeth. It's all good. I don't know how the non riding portion of society gets throught life.

Welcome to bikes and welcome especially to sidecar rigs. I've been riding over 40 years but came upon hacks late in the game, didn't know what I was missing. I'ts a great place for you to start!
Temporarily Dneprless

#9 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

Sorry ... long reply ... just excited to be here ...!!

Kent;  Fridayís seem slow around here, huh?  Well ... you can see what kind of life I have! haha!  Maybe this will change once I have my Sahara!!  I will be out toolin' around vs. sitting here looking at pictures of it!

Scott;  Thanks for the link!  I have a lot of reading to do!  I also need to get reading so I can pass my sidecar test!!  I loved your advice on keeping TWO outta three tires on the ground.  Rubber side down?  CHECK!!  I wonder if THIS will be on the test?  If so I've already got a leg up!! *laugh*  I also need to see Garden State.  I've seen a lot of reference to this movie w/regards to sidecars.  As for Cheap - Reliable - Fast ... The Sahara wasn't cheap and it's not fast but I hope it's reliable!!  That's what I'm going for.

Rusty;  thanks for the welcome!!  I hope to learn my way around here quickly.  I was already looking at memberís photos last night.  Lots of great bikes!!

Kraut;  I'm from WI, too!  I've lived in WA for 10 years now but I'm from Wisconsin Rapids and I graduated from UW River Falls.  Love me some Leinie's!!  I hope to be able to learn to fly the side car (w/o damaging myself or the bike).  I already have a grin that wonít go away!  I was on YouTube earlier this week just watching video after video on Urals, sidecars and anything else related.   You know Ö there IS a statue of Stalin in Seattle!!  I will have to park my bike in front of it and nab a picture!

Paul;  CONGRATS on your í06 Gear-Up!!  There is a guy at my work who has one of these and I gawk at it every day as I drive in.  I donít know him but I may have to go make fast friends!!  I donít know how it is in TN but here in WA you have to get a class 5 license (sidecar / trike) in order to operate it on the highways.  If I take the sidecar class (by a state authorized school) I will get a card that will allow me just to get my endorsement on my license vs. taking the written and driving test w/the DOL.  I got signed up for the last class of the year and got the last training slot!  I was lucky!  I was going to wait until 2010 to do all this (including getting my bike) but I just couldnít wait any longer and Iím glad I jumped when I did!  Who knows!  I may have missed out on getting that Sahara!  The dealer had one left Ö MINE!  And Iím newer than you!  Iím Member 8,709! HAHAHA!  Itís awesome that this forum has close to 9 thousand members!!

Mike;  I am VERY excited to become one w/the motorcycle world!  I didnít think I would EVER be able to own a bike but I took a leap and here I am!  Now Ö if I can pass that training Iím golden Ö
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#10 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Here are some pictures the dealer sent me yesterday.  My Sahara has been cracked out of the crate!!  I want my Sahara to look like the one listed on www.ural.com (w/the blacked out components).  I wish I could have been there to watch but my bike is over 150 miles away from me at the moment.  *sigh*

The Ural I had my picture taken with was just one he had on the lot.

Attached Files

2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#11 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

Good Lord!
I thought they built them in Russia, not the US!
Looks like you dealer is going above and beyond what's normally required...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#12 kraut-60

kraut-60

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

Cool! I lived in WA as a lil' kid (1961-1962), my dad was in the Nat'l. Guard and got federalized in '61, so off to Ft. Lewis we went!. The black pipes look cool, but the stockers will work good...dont lug the engine when you get it..that'll hurt it while breaking in(or running in as the good folks in Russia say).
The overall sand tan color is just hot...these bikes look best slightly militarized...mines an '07 GearUp in desert camo. Be ready for UDF (Ural delay Factor)...why? the rig is gonna always attract attention...and being a nice looking girl will only help the attraction factor...you may want to print up an FAQ handout :feelssogood:  :thumbsup!:

#13 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

Scott;  heís rippiní things apart to take them to powder coat.  I want it blacked out like the Ural website shows.  This dealer ROCKS!  www.uralnw.com  He was very patient w/all my questions, my multiple e-mailings and the fact that I hung out at his dealership for a good hour and a 1/2 just GAWKING!  

Kraut;  are you sayiní the black pipes were a bad idea?  K-rist!  I HOPE NOT!!  I asked the dealer about this and he says that he has done 4 of them so far w/o one complaint.  *fingerís crossed*
     Ft. Lewis is right up the street from where we live.  So is Ft. McChord.  I took some training there a few years ago to become an AR15 / machine gun armorer.  Back in the day I was Army (stationed at Ft. Hood, TX) so going on an USAF base for training as a civilian was just plain FUN!

HAHAHAHA to UDF!  I know Iím going to have to print up an informational sheet because I wonít know the answers to Ĺ of the questions being asked!  I donít want to look like a dumb (_|_)!!  Come summer time I want to get a PINK German style helmet w/goggles!!  That should do the trick!  For winter it will be a full face flip up in matt black for me.  Everybody will think Iím a dude! HAHA!
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

#14 kraut-60

kraut-60

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

"Kraut; are you sayiní the black pipes were a bad idea? K-rist! I HOPE NOT!! I asked the dealer about this and he says that he has done 4 of them so far w/o one complaint"   No,no...They're a good idea...I am still running my rig with the stock chrome pipes(complete with bluing at the bends near the mill).
I would dearly love to get my pipes powder coated a flat black or dark gray....gotta save my coins up. Let us see it when you get it.  Army(salute), my dads retired army now(did it in the Guard/reserve). I'm a retired USN Boiler Technician 1st class(E-6).  I have several camo helmet covers I sport on my skid-lid and one made of foil(it was a firefighters helmet cover...its a Ural thing....you'll understand) :thumbsup!: Pink..hhhmmm...go for it!

#15 go.warcat

go.warcat

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

Shew!  Glad you think they are a good idea.  I wanted to avoid the bluing.  I figured that if I was going to take out a loan for the Ural I might as well get it EXACTLY how I wanted it.  I think once I get it I wonít be able to do much else to it for years to come.  Trust me!  As soon as I get it I will be posting photos galore!  Seeing that I havenít found anybody local who is interested (including my husband {he could care less}) you guys are my new found pals! *laugh*

I read the foil post Ö I still need more schooling because I donít understand it (yet).  Give me time!!

Army (salute) to both you and your dad!!  I was an MP and pretty much lived in my Humvee.
2009 Gear-Up Sahara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users