Fall Rally

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Fall Rally (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the best weekend for the Rally to be held in Black Mountain, NC?

1. October 2-4 (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. October 9-11 (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. October 16-18 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Any of these - I'm not fussy. (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:32 AM

Yes, let's do it for Oct 9-11.

What are the next steps - get a headcount and reservations at KOA?

I will be a party of 1 - tent camping.
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#17 joncheney

joncheney

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Mark,

Please make your reservations direct with the campground. Ellie and I usually stay in a motel, so I don't know the details at the CG. The sidecarists usually seem to be in the same area near the cabins, so it may be worthwhile to mention that you're with the sidecar group. Don't know whether any discounts are available, though.

Rich,  any CG info that would be helpful?

Thanks.

#18 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

View Postjoncheney, on Aug 27 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

Mark,

Please make your reservations direct with the campground. Ellie and I usually stay in a motel, so I don't know the details at the CG. The sidecarists usually seem to be in the same area near the cabins, so it may be worthwhile to mention that you're with the sidecar group. Don't know whether any discounts are available, though.

Rich,  any CG info that would be helpful?

Thanks.

One more comment - for motel stayers, I highly recommend the Black Mountain Super 8.  But PLEASE make your reservations early - October is Fall Color season in the Blue Ridge and things get booked FAST.  

Just a comment from an experienced attender...
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#19 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:10 AM

Hi folks,

I made my reservation yesterday at the KOA.  One issue that did come up is that they weren't sure what I meant by 'Riders of the Eastern Front' or the 'sidecar group' - so they were looking for other guest names to put us together.  So if you're planning to tent camp, you can give them my name (Mark Sklenar) so they can reserve you a spot in the same area.

See you there!
Mark
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1977 Honda CB750F

#20 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

CG info here.
http://www.ashevilleeastkoa.com/

Yeah, they have a new girl at the desk who doesn't remember us.  :atombomb:

Mark, we got the spot right next to yours. We're in D4.

Get your reservations in folks! You can do it on line, but if you call you can better ensure you are near the group. They do now know we are the Riders of the Eastern Front!   :flame-on!:

Man.... I really need to weld that hitch onto my rig and see how well it pulls the pop up camper. That will be soooo cool if it works well!

Here's the little 1991 Kwik Kamp pop up trailer we got and fixed up. It is really comfortable compared to a tent!

Posted Image
Posted Image

It packs up small and only weighs 250# with no cargo in it.
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#21 Duckyde

Duckyde

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hmm, maybe they just hired someone or I called at the right time of day.  I talked to them almost a week ago and mentioned "russian sidecar group" or something to that effect and the lady remembered us.  Anyway got cabin #8 reserved which is right next to the bath house.  :flame-on!: :atombomb:

Rich, that would be awesome if the rig could pull it.  It would be a hell of a time uphill though :-)
.....boldly going nowhere....

#22 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

My buddy Sid made his own home made cargo trailer some years back from Ural parts and steel and wood. Last year going to BURP he hauled that to Willville in the blue ridge loaded with gear. We had a huge load on our own rig. No trailer. Sid's rig handled the hills better and got better gas mileage. Left me thinking that the trailer was more efficient!

That's why I want to try it!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#23 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:10 AM

View PostDuckyde, on Sep 1 2009, 11:36 PM, said:

Hmm, maybe they just hired someone or I called at the right time of day. I talked to them almost a week ago and mentioned "russian sidecar group" or something to that effect and the lady remembered us. Anyway got cabin #8 reserved which is right next to the bath house. :flame-on!:  :atombomb:

Rich, that would be awesome if the rig could pull it. It would be a hell of a time uphill though :-)

Yes, I made my reservation online.  I called both reservation numbers and got the busy signal both times, so I just filled out the web form.  They had to call back about the location question.  I just looked at my confirmation and I don't see a camp site number...hmm.
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1977 Honda CB750F

#24 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

Mark

When I called they said they had someone in D3 near the bathouse. I asked if it was you and gave them your name and the ROTEF name. She said yes. So Donna and I got D4 next to you. But to make sure, you may want to call and ask them.
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#25 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

Aye....Ken

#26 Tubarick

Tubarick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

I'm coming.  I made a camping reservation on line.  I listed the ROTEF name as well.  See ya.
Rick Guptill
2009 Ural T
2003 Ural 650 2wd
1971 BMW R75/5
Garner, NC

#27 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

Bump.

Its this coming weekend folks! See ya all Friday there!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#28 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

Folks

I called the "Berliner Kindl" Restaurant in Black Mountain today to give them a heads up that we'd like to bring the group there Friday evening. I told them probably 10 to 20 people.  Weather always is a consideration in attendance. They'd rather we come by around 7 pm as there is another group that is ging to be there between 6 and 6:30 pm. It'd be better if both groups don't mod them at once.  <_<
I told them  that 7 is good as it takes time to get all the cats herded out that way.  :atombomb:
They close at 8. But if we are seated at 7 and eat a bit past 8 it shouldn't be a problem.

I told them I would call before dinner time Friday with a firmer number for them.

Donna and I are looking forward to the trip. Right now the weather looks like off & on chances of rain that weekend. But it has been my experience that usually the real actual weather winds up better than the forecasts predict. We'll be there regardless at the KOA.

I am bringing our little 10' x 10' shelter and a table for the group coffee pot to sit under. I'll bring an outdoor extension cord as well. I have a couple six packs of home made ale to bring as well to share around the fire.

Anyone else bringing anything?
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#29 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

View PostRich Maund, on Oct 7 2009, 06:22 PM, said:

Folks

I called the "Berliner Kindl" Restaurant in Black Mountain today to give them a heads up that we'd like to bring the group there Friday evening. I told them probably 10 to 20 people. Weather always is a consideration in attendance. They'd rather we come by around 7 pm as there is another group that is ging to be there between 6 and 6:30 pm. It'd be better if both groups don't mod them at once. :rolleyes:
I told them that 7 is good as it takes time to get all the cats herded out that way. :feelssogood:
They close at 8. But if we are seated at 7 and eat a bit past 8 it shouldn't be a problem.

I told them I would call before dinner time Friday with a firmer number for them.

Donna and I are looking forward to the trip. Right now the weather looks like off & on chances of rain that weekend. But it has been my experience that usually the real actual weather winds up better than the forecasts predict. We'll be there regardless at the KOA.

I am bringing our little 10' x 10' shelter and a table for the group coffee pot to sit under. I'll bring an outdoor extension cord as well. I have a couple six packs of home made ale to bring as well to share around the fire.

Anyone else bringing anything?

The restaurant sounds good - we had a great time there 2 years ago, I think.

I was thinking about the usual Ukrainian beer, but: 1.  I've got a new position at work which is new tasks, plus all my old ones; 2:  my father-in-law is visiting for a couple week so we've been spending a lot of time with him; and 3:  We found a stray dog on Monday and have been working on getting her healthy and socialized.  It's been pretty busy.

So it's just me, the bike, the gear and my wallet - I'm always good for chipping in or doing a grocery/beer run  :beerchug:

Looking forward to it, too.  See y'all there and have a safe trip!
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1977 Honda CB750F

#30 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:56 AM

Packed up and leaving now. See y'all there this afternoon!  :feelssogood:
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users