16 replies to this topic

#1 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Just a reminder that BURP will be held in Meadows of Dan, VA July 10-12.  Please contact Sid Pollard and let him know you're coming (if you are, that is).

You can find the BURP Rally info (with Sid's contact info) on our Events page, plus some other events:

http://russianiron.com/events.htm

And of course, if anyone has a rally or other event you want to let folks know about, please contact me with the info.   The Events page is here for letting people know what's happening in the world of Russian Iron, so please let me know what's happening in your part of it.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#2 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

I'm going to be riding in this time. Via Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway with JD and Philly Dave. :beerchug:
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#3 David B.

David B.

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

View PostIVANGROZNEY, on Jul 3 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

I'm going to be riding in this time. Via Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway with JD and Philly Dave. :beerchug:

We're planning a little roadtrip for next weekend and you're invited. It looks like three Urals and their riders will be leaving from Pennsylvania on Friday morning and arriving at BURP sometime on Saturday.

We're going to ride about 200 miles to the start of the Skyline Drive and then about half of it's 105 mile length(35 mph speed limit) before setting up camp for the afternoon/night. Break camp in the morning to finish the the Skyline drive and 180 miles(45 mph speed limit) down the Blue Ridge Parkway to BURP for Saturday. We'll leave sometime on Sunday, spend Sunday night at one of the campgrounds on the Skyline Drive again and return Monday.

Our plan is to set a pace that should make for four nice days of riding through a few hundred miles of very Ural friendly roads. Speak up if you'd like to join us, if not we'll post some pics.
David B.

Presently;  '07 Tourist

Previously;  '03 Tourist, '04 Patrol, '?? Mt16, '65 MV750

#4 Terry Crawford

Terry Crawford

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Ural dealer located in southeast Michigan

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

View PostDavid B., on Jul 3 2009, 11:53 PM, said:

View PostIVANGROZNEY, on Jul 3 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

We're planning a little roadtrip for next weekend and you're invited. It looks like three Urals and their riders will be leaving from Pennsylvania on Friday morning and arriving at BURP sometime on Saturday.

We're going to ride about 200 miles to the start of the Skyline Drive and then about half of it's 105 mile length(35 mph speed limit) before setting up camp for the afternoon/night. Break camp in the morning to finish the the Skyline drive and 180 miles(45 mph speed limit) down the Blue Ridge Parkway to BURP for Saturday. We'll leave sometime on Sunday, spend Sunday night at one of the campgrounds on the Skyline Drive again and return Monday.

Our plan is to set a pace that should make for four nice days of riding through a few hundred miles of very Ural friendly roads. Speak up if you'd like to join us, if not we'll post some pics.

David and everybody at the rally. Have a good time, relax, and get some good riding in.
Crawford Sales Co. in Michigan
Terry Crawford
Becky Blosser - Web Master
248-437-8107

Crawford Sales Company

crawfordsales@sbcglobal.net

#5 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

And just to let you all know guys, Terry donated some very nice door prizes! Thank you Crawford's Sales!   :wino:
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#6 James Nichols

James Nichols

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:44 AM

Anyone planning to pass through Mt. Airy NC headed to the BURP on Friday 10th, let me know, I'll ride up with you .

#7 Rescue561

Rescue561

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

Anyone from Ohio going, Drop me a line. I'm going to try and head out on Thursday.

#8 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Folks

I'm afraid I won't make it to BURP this year. Business has only been OK this year. It's the business that pays for our trips. Well last week I had something happen that has never happened in 13 years in business. I had three seat jobs canceled one after another. It's not uncommon to have a job not show up once in a while. I know things come up and I am selling luxury goods here. I won't bug people about it either. But I have never had all three seat appointments blown off all at once like that before. This week is looking no better. You may have noticed I've been building stuff lately and then offering free shipping. I did that to fill my time. I can't just sit here and do nothing. Usually in the Summer time I am booked up a month or more in advance with work. This year I was staying about even with demand and had no waiting list. I get lots of inquiries. But then it seems folks just disappear. They're not spending their money.
Since my income last week was about $60 and it's no better this week, I'll be staying home to work on stuff. This really bums me out, but what can you do? Welcome to the new socalist economy!  :feelssogood:
On the good side I am making great strides on the Honey-Do List. Gotta put the time to constructive use at least! I've refinished the whole front porch and porch swing. Next I'll clean and refinish the garden shed. Pressure washers will keep you cool on a hot day!

Y'all have a good time at BURP. I am gonna miss seeing you.
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#9 Tubarick

Tubarick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

My wife and I are coming.  Looking forward to it.

Rick & Pam
Rick Guptill
2009 Ural T
2003 Ural 650 2wd
1971 BMW R75/5
Garner, NC

#10 dougfrr

dougfrr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

My daughter and I are going again this year.  We are coming from SE Ohio but not leaving till Friday.  Sorry to hear you're not coming Rich.  Who is going to take your place as the grill master for the Saturday night feast  :feelssogood: ?  The food last year was outstanding!

Best Regards,
Doug
1988 BMW R100RT
2007 Ural Patrol

#11 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

View Postdougfrr, on Jul 8 2009, 11:53 PM, said:

My daughter and I are going again this year.  We are coming from SE Ohio but not leaving till Friday.  Sorry to hear you're not coming Rich.  Who is going to take your place as the grill master for the Saturday night feast  :feelssogood: ?  The food last year was outstanding!

Best Regards,
Doug

Sid and Tim have that covered! They'll be there.
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#12 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

For years I have been trying to get to burp, but like Rich, the work loads of summer just preclude it....so have a good time, I wish I was there ...Ken :feelssogood:

#13 David B.

David B.

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

I promised a few pics of our ride to BURP so here it goes with just a little description;

NJ Ken had driven to my house near Valley Forge, PA on Thursday night so we could make an 8:00 start Friday morning. Our first stop was to meet JD for breakfast at a diner some 70 miles away within sight of the Harley Davidson factory in York, PA. Harleys were to be the theme for the morning as they were EVERYWHERE. We realized that it was more than just nice weather that brought them out as we passed through Gettysburg and saw that it was "bike week".

110 miles into the ride we crossed the Maryland border to meet with Michael who had ridden a bit out of his way from BURP to join our route. We were back on the road and went through MD into West Virginia and through scenic Harper's Ferry before crossing making it to Front Royal Virginia, the northern entrance to The Skyline Drive.
On the advise of the cute Park Ranger, we chose a campground 57 miles into the drive(or maybe she just wanted us far away?). We set up camp and relaxed with a "few" beers around the campfire after Ken worked his kindling gathering magic. Peter arrived at the campsite sometime after dark and then our group was five strong. The first four of us had enjoyed a decent meal inluding local microbrews at the taproom earlier but Peter was taking this camping thing to heart and practiced all of the culinary skills involved with preparing an MRE.

The next morning we rode the remaining 50 miles of The Skyline Drive to search for breakfast in the town of Waynesboro. Then we were on to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Both of these roads are absolutely wonderful scenic routes, endless two lane sweepers with winding ups and downs along the mountain ridges and faces. There are not many places to get much above the 45 mph speed limit, downhill the curves are a bit tight to safely take at that speed and uphill often 35 mph was all the Urals could manage.

So while taking a break at one of the pull-offs, we did a bit of math. We still had another 3 hours of twisties ahead of us before we would reach BURP at 4:30 pm. Having muscled the rigs through four hours of endless curves already at that point, someone(names withheld) turned on their GPS and pointed out we could save 25 miles and two hours if we took a "shortcut". About 50 miles and an hour later we stopped to confirm the GPS directions, we weren't any closer! To make matters worse the GPS we were relying on (because mine didn't have local maps loaded,oops) was battery operated and losing charge. Also the storm clouds finally got serious and gave us a real soaking, the GPS was not waterproof forcing us to memorize the next few turns then stop to check again. At 6:30 pm wet and a bit chilled, we rolled into BURP.

Willeville Campground is a wonderful setting for this Ural gathering and we arrived just in time to get dinner under their pavillion. Thanks to Tim and everyone else working behind the scenes. And thanks to Sid who it seems will go to great lenghts get out of the actual work part(glad it was a false alarm). We were also in time for the doorprizes! Even with the good turn out, there were enough prizes that no one went home empty handed. I got a care package from Crawford's. It included an oil filter and one of his washer/seals that eliminates the tophat and a nice little zippered tool/parts bag. I think I'll be using it a toiletry bag instead of the plastic grocery bag I've been using this weekend. Thank you Terry!

Sunday morning we took our time breaking camp and saying our good-byes, leaving around 11:00 am. Peter started the ride with us but exited the Parkway after about 10(?) miles in order to make it back to DC in one day. We were to stick it out on the BRP and Skyline for almost eight hours before pulling into our third campground in three nights. We had to evict a couple of deer that didn't seem to care whether we wanted the spots or not. Surprisingly, the BURP attendees left us a few Baltikas to enjoy for our final night on the road which included what might have been the funniest damn batch of Jiffy Pop ever!(You had to be there...)

Monday morning we packed up early and road the remainder of the Skyline Drive and a wonderful hole-in-the-wall time capsule spot breakfast. I went for the country fried steak with gravy coronary special which was just as good as it sounds. JD proved he was the breakfast king when he topped off the meal with some chocolate pie.

From that point it was to be the anticlimatic 200 mile mostly highway fest home. Michael peeled off in MD, JD took his leave near where we had met three days earlier and Ken and I slogged the last two hours in rush hour traffic. After loading his bike on his truck, Ken still had a 2 1/2 hour drive home.

I had reset my GPS before we left and we had covered 1019 miles(1639 kms) in just over 24 hours of saddle time during the 4-day ride. The only mechanical issue to report was one of my carb intake hoses popped off, a two minute roadside stop to re-attach.

It was a good weekend!!!

Attached Files

David B.

Presently;  '07 Tourist

Previously;  '03 Tourist, '04 Patrol, '?? Mt16, '65 MV750

#14 uraldude

uraldude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Great write up David! I got my pictures organized and posted here.

BURP and Back pictures

5 bikes, 4 Great days in the saddle, 1000 miles and more curves than I could count. Awesome.

-JD

#15 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:43 PM

Great write up! Thanks for sharing that!

I pressure washed and scrubbed Donna's garden shed and my garage.  Being broke is a pain!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users