#1 Buck

Buck

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy riding my Patrol , and spending time with my family

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

Attached File  coil_mount.JPG   116.64K   114 downloadsAttached File  right_front.JPG   114.12K   137 downloadsMy ride is a 2006 Ural Patrol 750cc USA model.
I have always had the problem with the Ural taking time to warm up and it always  backfires spits and burps until it has been running for ten minutes or more. I am told that this is just the way it is.  The carbs are set up correctly , the valves are adjusted and the timing is spot on.
Recently I installed a Power Arc ignition system. It took about one and half hours to remove the old ignition system and install the Power Arc ignition. The difference is remarkable . The bike take less than 30 seconds on the enrichers and when I roll on the power it does not backfire  or burp when cold. It is a drop in module programed with two timing curves , one for normal running and one for when the engine is loaded . The second curve is activated by a momentary switch. The rig runs very well and has good power.I don't have info on MPG but will keep track to see if it is better or worse.  If anyone else is running a power arc system let share notes.  Buck

#2 chriso

chriso

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:I collect 18th century artifacts, and Manhatten project artifacts. I dabble in electron Microscopy, and proton beam machines. I also reenact both American and British 18th century military.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

View PostBuck, on Mar 27 2009, 01:33 PM, said:

My ride is a 2006 Ural Patrol 750cc USA model.
I have always had the problem with the Ural taking time to warm up and it always  backfires spits and burps until it has been running for ten minutes or more. I am told that this is just the way it is.  The carbs are set up correctly , the valves are adjusted and the timing is spot on.
Recently I installed a Power Arc ignition system. It took about one and half hours to remove the old ignition system and install the Power Arc ignition. The difference is remarkable . The bike take less than 30 seconds on the enrichers and when I roll on the power it does not backfire  or burp when cold. It is a drop in module programed with two timing curves , one for normal running and one for when the engine is loaded . The second curve is activated by a momentary switch. The rig runs very well and has good power.I don't have info on MPG but will keep track to see if it is better or worse.  If anyone else is running a power arc system let share notes.  Buck

These look interesting. Which model are you using, and how much have you fiddled with the curves?
I almost got one of these when I had the mini.
Keep us posted, the prices aren't too bad either...
chriso
97 Ural BC
07 Royal Enfield
'00 Great Pyrenees and a dogsled.
"nice boots, where's your horse?"
"Parked right out there, he's iron and eats Dinosaurs"

#3 Buck

Buck

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

The Power Arc model is the IDS-C1 Ural. The Ural dealer I purchased it from (RaceWay Services in Salem Oregon) is the exclusive distributor for this model. Refer to his web site ( www.racewayservices.com )for cost and more information about  the Power Arc system. The installation is straight forward . The kit that the dealer provides comes with the Power Arc module , coil , coil mount , spark plugs and plug wires , hardware needed to install the unit and installation  instructions. The things that are not included are the switch to activate the second arc. (I picked up a normally closed switch at Radio Shack for $1.95 for two). The mount for the switch is also not included. I made my own mount for the switch. It also does not include the software or the cable needed to connect to the module to reprogram the timing cures. I never ask about the cable and software.
Buck

#4 Ron Cichowski

Ron Cichowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

View PostBuck, on Mar 28 2009, 03:19 PM, said:

The Power Arc model is the IDS-C1 Ural. It also does not include the software or the cable needed to connect to the module to reprogram the timing cures. I never ask about the cable and software.
Buck

Hi Buck,

I ordered one of these last week and it should be in my hands any day. I'm really curious to see what I get in the box. You list yours as a C1 Ural. A thorough examination of the Power Arc site shows the C1 uses an electronic module WITHOUT the connector for a programming cable.

The photos you sent show the MORE EXPENSIVE CP2 module WITH the connector for a programming cable. So it looks like you got MORE than advertised.

I'm hoping mine comes through with the same CP2 module. It opens up all sorts of future possibilities.

Best Luck!  :beerchug:
Ron Cichowski

1997/2010 Ural Sportsman+
1981 BMW R100RT
1977 Moto Guzzi 850-T3FB
1966 BMW R60/2

#5 Buck

Buck

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

Chrsio , I took the information for the model off the paperwork that came with the  Power Arc System.  I looked on the power Arc website and I agree with you that it looks like the C2 ignition system with the port for the programing cable. On the Power Arc website it  states that the cable and software is available to the  whosale customer.  Let me know what comes with your system.
Keep us posted on how your bike runs after you install the new ignition system.  Mine has been running great.

Buck

#6 Ron Cichowski

Ron Cichowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

View PostBuck, on Apr 1 2009, 08:56 PM, said:

Chrsio , I took the information for the model off the paperwork that came with the  Power Arc System.  I looked on the power Arc website and I agree with you that it looks like the C2 ignition system with the port for the programing cable. On the Power Arc website it  states that the cable and software is available to the  whosale customer.  Let me know what comes with your system.
Keep us posted on how your bike runs after you install the new ignition system.  Mine has been running great.

Buck

UPS just dropped off my Power Arc from Raceway and it is the C1 as advertised (not the programmable C2  :feelssogood:  ). On the other hand it does include the hanger for the external coil. Thought I'd have to make that part myself.
Ron Cichowski

1981 BMW R100RT
1977 Moto Guzzi 850-T3FB
1966 BMW R60/2

#7 Buck

Buck

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:53 AM

Ron , I had emailed Raceway services and ask why  the difference in the model of ignition you recieved and the one I recieved. He emailed back on the 8th and stated he opted to sell the C2 with the port to some of us that is in the local area for possible future testing of different arc data if we wanted to participate. Sounds good to me .
Let me know how your rig runs after you get the Power Arc installed.
Buck

#8 Ron Cichowski

Ron Cichowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

View PostBuck, on Apr 9 2009, 05:53 AM, said:

Ron , I had emailed Raceway services and ask why  the difference in the model of ignition you recieved and the one I recieved. He emailed back on the 8th and stated he opted to sell the C2 with the port to some of us that is in the local area for possible future testing of different arc data if we wanted to participate. Sounds good to me .
Let me know how your rig runs after you get the Power Arc installed.
Buck

Wished I lived in the area. A C2 would allow me to move the setup into my Moto Guzzi or old BMW if I so chose.

I'm sure the C1 setup will work well. It's a product with a solid history produced by people with good old fashioned integrity.
Ron Cichowski

1981 BMW R100RT
1977 Moto Guzzi 850-T3FB
1966 BMW R60/2

#9 Warthog

Warthog

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

I just found this thread after having posted a question asking for Power arc experiences.  

I any of you have any experiences, almost one year on, I'd love to hear about them:

Any problems?
What advantages has it brought to your bike?
Is MPG improved as claimed?
Is it as easy to fit as is claimed?

Sound like a great product, given what I hope to do with my bike!
Boldly going where common sense fears to tread..... and then limping back again.

Sportman 2007: "The Improbability Magnet"

#10 Ron Cichowski

Ron Cichowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

View PostWarthog, on Mar 8 2010, 05:20 AM, said:

I just found this thread after having posted a question asking for Power arc experiences.  

I any of you have any experiences, almost one year on, I'd love to hear about them:

Any problems?
What advantages has it brought to your bike?
Is MPG improved as claimed?
Is it as easy to fit as is claimed?

Sound like a great product, given what I hope to do with my bike!

Another winter passed here in Eastern Massachusetts.

The rig spends nights in a garage above freezing.
She started well every morning and ran without fault.

The rig spends 9 hours out of doors every day uncovered in whatever nature provides.
I have approached her in 2 degrees F and buried in snow.
She has sat in 9 hours of 34 degree F rain.
I've had to dig her out of the snow to get on board.
She started well every evening and ran without fault.

It has never taken over a half second "blip" of the starter to "light the fires'.
I'm assuming it catches on the first revolution of the crank (or less).

Great device.
Easy to install.

Excellent solution if you are having ignition problems with another system.

Glad I did it! :cheers:
Ron Cichowski

1981 BMW R100RT
1977 Moto Guzzi 850-T3FB
1966 BMW R60/2

#11 Warthog

Warthog

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

View PostRon Cichowski, on Mar 8 2010, 04:59 PM, said:

Glad I did it! :cheers:

Ron, you are very familiar with my starter motor woes that I hope to address very soon: I'm fine with the kickstart for now, but when the leccy start was going, I can say that my bike also starter almost i mmediately.  But then it is still a very new engine: about 6500km!!

I don't dobt start is easier, but at the moment, I'd be pushed to notice a big difference.

All the same, I find the system enticing.  

Given my travel plans, I am most interested in the claimed 25% drop in fuel consumption (based on a trip where some rigs were standard, and at least one had the power arc upgrade, all following the same route, the power arc rig was filling up about 25% less than the others).

Have you noticed any improvement in that respect?
Boldly going where common sense fears to tread..... and then limping back again.

#12 Ron Cichowski

Ron Cichowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

View PostWarthog, on Mar 8 2010, 03:57 PM, said:

View PostRon Cichowski, on Mar 8 2010, 04:59 PM, said:

Glad I did it! :thumbsup!:

Given my travel plans, I am most interested in the claimed 25% drop in fuel consumption (based on a trip where some rigs were standard, and at least one had the power arc upgrade, all following the same route, the power arc rig was filling up about 25% less than the others).

Have you noticed any improvement in that respect?
I bet he had a 25% bigger tank :laugh:

If there is any fuel savings it might be in the few percent range.

Any properly functioning ignition system will burn fuel efficiently.

PowerArc is a good replacement for a lot of improperly functioning Ural systems.

It is an easier install than the Ducati.

It has USA support and manufacture.

BUT it is not going to give you any real increase in power or economy IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A PROPERLY OPERATING IGNITION SYSTEM!

It very well might give you the comfort of reliability and parts availability.
Then it's worth it's weight in gold.

If I were headed on adventure I would buy the unit!
I would then carefully package my "old ignition" in a spare corner and carry it JUST IN CASE.
Probably never need it but a spare ignition would be one of the things I carried on Adventure.
Ron Cichowski

1981 BMW R100RT
1977 Moto Guzzi 850-T3FB
1966 BMW R60/2

#13 Warthog

Warthog

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

View PostRon Cichowski, on Mar 8 2010, 11:13 PM, said:

I bet he had a 25% bigger tank :thumbsup!:

If there is any fuel savings it might be in the few percent range.

Any properly functioning ignition system will burn fuel efficiently.

PowerArc is a good replacement for a lot of improperly functioning Ural systems.

It is an easier install than the Ducati.

It has USA support and manufacture.

BUT it is not going to give you any real increase in power or economy IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A PROPERLY OPERATING IGNITION SYSTEM!

It very well might give you the comfort of reliability and parts availability.
Then it's worth it's weight in gold.

If I were headed on adventure I would buy the unit!
I would then carefully package my "old ignition" in a spare corner and carry it JUST IN CASE.
Probably never need it but a spare ignition would be one of the things I carried on Adventure.

Thanks for your input.

25% seemed quite optimistic: shame, 55mpg would be great!!

talking of bigger tanks: seems like a CJ tank may be the way forward.

I would like to buy it, but it is hard to justify the money that would equate to fuel for about 2000 miles of Siberia.... especially as my Ducati ignition shows no signs of failing...

We'll see....

#14 Serious Black

Serious Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
    History
    Engine tuning

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

See if you can pick up a K750 tank locally. If I remember right they have about 20-21 litre capacity. They also have the toolbox in the top.
The devil is in the detail.

#15 QBall

QBall

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

I just put a Power Arc in mine.  I was riding in the past and may have been the post you read about a comrade with the power Arc in and mine not.  He was indeed filling up with much less fuel than I did.  25% was a real number.  I just ran a full tank through my set up and got about the same as I always did with by best runs.  I will say right now it appears to be just a litle better on the fuel consumtion.  Sorry for the earlier claims.  I am running harsd and still experimenting with the exact timing position and with the curve on and off.  I got 50 KPG (or about  31 MPG) Its not that bad for my riding style.  I think the fuel economy the other rider had was more to do with riding style and load.  He was one up with some gear.  I was running two up with a trailer loaded with gear for two.

The Power Arc seems to run Crisper.  That is I feel it is a little more responsive in getting up to speed and the 65 to 70 MPH pull on the highway, while always was there, it seems to be doinig it with less effort.  Any top end above that is still working it hard.
Qball

2007 Gear UP
99 Victory V92C
2000 Triumph TBird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users