Jump to content


Getting a bike!


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chriso

chriso

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined:15-April 04
  • Location:Il.
  • Interests:I collect 18th century artifacts, and Manhatten project artifacts. I dabble in electron Microscopy, and proton beam machines. I also reenact both American and British 18th century military.

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:19 AM

Finally getting another Ural after a year out of the saddle. As it stands now I'll fly to Fl, and drive it back to near Chicago. It has a rebuilt 650 and the higher ratio FD. 18" wheels. I'll do the trip in an easy 3 days. The longest I did with the old bike was a 250 round trip, so this is my first long haul. I'll be keeping it under 60mph. My only issue is the smokies, which I hope to hit in the morning/noonish. Well, that and riding a new bike for that far. Any advice?

Oh, I had the 'old' bike 5+ years and used it as my primary transport. Aside of a KATO, I'm not too worried about the Russian Rig, or the cold once I hit the North.
cheers,
chriso
97 Ural BC
07 Royal Enfield
'00 Great Pyrenees and a dogsled.
"nice boots, where's your horse?"
"Parked right out there, he's iron and eats Dinosaurs"

#2 OldSkool

OldSkool

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Joined:06-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beverly,Massachusetts
  • Interests:I Have a dnepr imported from the Ukraine i bought locally from a young man who gave up after trying to convert it to solo,

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

View Postchriso, on Dec 17 2008, 04:19 AM, said:

Finally getting another Ural after a year out of the saddle. As it stands now I'll fly to Fl, and drive it back to near Chicago. It has a rebuilt 650 and the higher ratio FD. 18" wheels. I'll do the trip in an easy 3 days. The longest I did with the old bike was a 250 round trip, so this is my first long haul. I'll be keeping it under 60mph. My only issue is the smokies, which I hope to hit in the morning/noonish. Well, that and riding a new bike for that far. Any advice?

Oh, I had the 'old' bike 5+ years and used it as my primary transport. Aside of a KATO, I'm not too worried about the Russian Rig, or the cold once I hit the North.
cheers,
chriso
sounds like  a Grand undertaking, is there any alternative such as towing the bike on a trailer, or another mode of shipping,But if your up for it ,would be a kool trip. safety first and gods speed best of luck to you

Attached Files


MY DNEPR PAGE

DNEPR MT 11

1985 BMW K100


2006 Dodge Dakota Slt Crew Cab



"No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size.
So, governments' programs, once launched,
never disappear.
Actually,
a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life
we'll ever see on this earth.".R.W.R

#3 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Joined:03-September 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Taos New Mexico
  • Interests:Motorcycles of all kinds! Music, Travel.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

It sounds like you know what your getting into so embrace it! Should be an adventure of epic purportions and a true test of your stamina and endurance.

Chronicle your trip and give us the details when you get home.

Good luck and safe travels.
Temporarily Dneprless

#4 gspell68

gspell68

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Joined:14-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft. Gordon, Augusta, GA
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

Quote

Any advice?

Keep your cell phone charged!!!  :thumbsup!:
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#5 greenmachine

greenmachine

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • Joined:05-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Apache Junction, Arizona

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

Yep....

Take a trailer. Drive the car.

I wouldn't head out on a long highway trip in winter with a rig you know nuthin about except the previous owner wanted it sold.

just a thunk

;-)
kermitski
Former Frog-Meister
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of that goofy thing...

#6 JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Joined:24-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SE Tennessee

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:42 PM

chriso, when are you doing this trip?
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

#7 Catfish

Catfish

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Joined:06-November 03
  • Location:Berlin,Connecticut
  • Interests:Motorcycles,Bullseye Shooting, Guns, Reloading,

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

I agree with Kermi too much in the winter is unpredictable.The weather could change overnight and you could be riding into a 2 day blizzard.Also a breakdown in the winter could really hurt you cannot just roll out a sleeping bag and sleep under a picnic bench for the night.It sounds like a great adventure it could turn into a battle for survival.

CATFISH

#8 chriso

chriso

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined:15-April 04
  • Location:Il.
  • Interests:I collect 18th century artifacts, and Manhatten project artifacts. I dabble in electron Microscopy, and proton beam machines. I also reenact both American and British 18th century military.

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

I have a chase car going with me, and I'm getting it from Gene at Holopaw. We still may get a hitch for the car and rent a trailer.  I'm going the weekend of the 16th in Jan, so I have a couple weeks to finally decide.
cheers,chriso
97 Ural BC
07 Royal Enfield
'00 Great Pyrenees and a dogsled.
"nice boots, where's your horse?"
"Parked right out there, he's iron and eats Dinosaurs"

#9 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Joined:16-November 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

Congrats Chriso and good luck :thumbsup!:
I hope Gene's been over this bike, I have not heard any thing bad about him.  
Tell us more about your "new" rig. Year, model, modifications, etc.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#10 chriso

chriso

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined:15-April 04
  • Location:Il.
  • Interests:I collect 18th century artifacts, and Manhatten project artifacts. I dabble in electron Microscopy, and proton beam machines. I also reenact both American and British 18th century military.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

Gene's been over the bike, and put on an E-start. It is a Bavarian Classic, black with red trim. I like the deluxe seat in the hack. He's putting on a rack and spare for me. I'm looking at getting a rear fender rack as well, but might leave it off for now. Hmmm, Tractor seat, hate bench. Dad is following me home, and if we need to we'll get a trailer on the way back. I want to make the ride, though. Also got towing insurance for up to 400 miles, but I always have that.
Gene has been a go to guy for me, he wants to make this trip work for me as much as I do.
cheers!
ch4riso
97 Ural BC
07 Royal Enfield
'00 Great Pyrenees and a dogsled.
"nice boots, where's your horse?"
"Parked right out there, he's iron and eats Dinosaurs"

#11 chriso

chriso

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined:15-April 04
  • Location:Il.
  • Interests:I collect 18th century artifacts, and Manhatten project artifacts. I dabble in electron Microscopy, and proton beam machines. I also reenact both American and British 18th century military.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Due to the economy, there are some great deals on truck rentals. We'll be driving down to Fla, I'll ride to Atlanta, seeing as there is little chance of me ever getting to ride in The South again. We'll then pack up the bike and return warm and dry to Il.
Working on a camera mount for the hack.
97 Ural BC
07 Royal Enfield
'00 Great Pyrenees and a dogsled.
"nice boots, where's your horse?"
"Parked right out there, he's iron and eats Dinosaurs"

#12 Huey

Huey

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined:19-December 06
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Arlington, Texas
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

View Postchriso, on Jan 12 2009, 05:59 PM, said:

Due to the economy, there are some great deals on truck rentals. We'll be driving down to Fla, I'll ride to Atlanta, seeing as there is little chance of me ever getting to ride in The South again. We'll then pack up the bike and return warm and dry to Il.
Working on a camera mount for the hack.
Good luck on the trip. I'd sure check the weather forcast for the timeframe you plan on going and returning, but I imagine you have already done that for yourself.

My opinion on camera mounts, it that it is hard to beat a Ram mount. I made a ton of pvc mounts to try out, as I am a real cheapo. However, the money spent in experimenting would have been better spent if I had simply broken down and bought a Ram mount to begin with.  Remember to muffle the sound on your camera, prior to shooting video. At least check it out, as many videos are ruined when the wind noise is horrible in the microphone of the video camera.

Good luck and post your travel experiences on the trip and pics.

P.S.

If you like to experiment and have the time during your trip, then ride up the hills in reverse at full throttle and give us a true report if the Ural actually rides faster in taking hills that way or not. I don't think it actually does, but you may have the opportunity and I just don't...film at eleven.  :-)
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

#13 chriso

chriso

    Russian Bike Nut

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined:15-April 04
  • Location:Il.
  • Interests:I collect 18th century artifacts, and Manhatten project artifacts. I dabble in electron Microscopy, and proton beam machines. I also reenact both American and British 18th century military.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

I'm setting up a hall sensor to the wheel and doing a time lapse. a shot a mile, then put them together in post for a mile a second or 2 mile a second vid. Won't be too painful at 500 miles. Dub in the Benny Hill theme and good to go!
The weather is supposed to be good down there, then cooling off around Tn. By then it'll be in the van. The trouble is, a week or even three days out the weather forecast is a crap shoot IMHO. Latest is 63 in Orlando and 45 ish in Atlanta...PERFECT. :biggrin:  Then 4 in Il, so yeah the truck is a good thing.



View PostHuey, on Jan 12 2009, 07:28 PM, said:

View Postchriso, on Jan 12 2009, 05:59 PM, said:

Due to the economy, there are some great deals on truck rentals. We'll be driving down to Fla, I'll ride to Atlanta, seeing as there is little chance of me ever getting to ride in The South again. We'll then pack up the bike and return warm and dry to Il.
Working on a camera mount for the hack.
Good luck on the trip. I'd sure check the weather forcast for the timeframe you plan on going and returning, but I imagine you have already done that for yourself.

My opinion on camera mounts, it that it is hard to beat a Ram mount. I made a ton of pvc mounts to try out, as I am a real cheapo. However, the money spent in experimenting would have been better spent if I had simply broken down and bought a Ram mount to begin with.  Remember to muffle the sound on your camera, prior to shooting video. At least check it out, as many videos are ruined when the wind noise is horrible in the microphone of the video camera.

Good luck and post your travel experiences on the trip and pics.

P.S.

If you like to experiment and have the time during your trip, then ride up the hills in reverse at full throttle and give us a true report if the Ural actually rides faster in taking hills that way or not. I don't think it actually does, but you may have the opportunity and I just don't...film at eleven.  :-)

97 Ural BC
07 Royal Enfield
'00 Great Pyrenees and a dogsled.
"nice boots, where's your horse?"
"Parked right out there, he's iron and eats Dinosaurs"




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users