Dnepr/BMWR90  The Beepr

#2 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:50 AM

If anyone attending FART has a portable welder and wants to use it, the left turn signal tab on my Tourist is broken.  I'd been thinking about getting a welder myself and learning, but with all the other demands on my time I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Anyone willing to help, let me know - I can pay or swap you beer for the welding.

Thanks!
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#3 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:59 AM

View PostMark_MB750M, on Oct 6 2008, 06:50 AM, said:

If anyone attending FART has a portable welder and wants to use it, the left turn signal tab on my Tourist is broken.  I'd been thinking about getting a welder myself and learning, but with all the other demands on my time I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Anyone willing to help, let me know - I can pay or swap you beer for the welding.

Thanks!

I'm getting the impression that broken turn signal tabs is a chronic Ural failing. Chalk it up to vibration induced metal fatigue.

Mine went in a most unusual way...  in the rear, the top of the hole that the turn signal stalk mounts in broke off! The rest of the tab is there, just as strong as ever, and with a couple of jagged edges to rip open the unwary.

GAVNO The Ugly

Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#4 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

I'm afraid that portable welders aren't all that portable.
Mine would fill half the trunk of my car and I'd need the proper 220v outlet to use it there.

I think by "portable" they mean it can moved around the shop easily.

Anytime you put something long like a turn signal on a thin piece of tack welded sheet steel and then add the vibes from bouncing up & down constantly, it's gonna induce a stress crack in time.

Any chance you'll pass through SE Va.? If you could bring your rig to my welder it's just a few minutes work to fix.

See y'all at FART!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#5 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

Rich - yes, I'm not too familiar with welders.  I was browsing Harbor Freight and they seem to have some 'carry-able' ones like this:  http://www.harborfre...temnumber=94056  - so I thought perhaps someone might have something similar they could lug up.

I still think it would be useful to know how to weld, it's just getting off my a$$ and doing it.  How close are you to Yorktown,VA?  If I can't get this fixed at the rally maybe a trip up will be in order - my sister is in Yorktown so I could visit her at the same time.

Mark
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#6 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:36 PM

View PostMark_MB750M, on Oct 6 2008, 09:10 AM, said:

Rich - yes, I'm not too familiar with welders.  I was browsing Harbor Freight and they seem to have some 'carry-able' ones like this:  http://www.harborfre...temnumber=94056  - so I thought perhaps someone might have something similar they could lug up.

I still think it would be useful to know how to weld, it's just getting off my a$$ and doing it.  How close are you to Yorktown,VA?  If I can't get this fixed at the rally maybe a trip up will be in order - my sister is in Yorktown so I could visit her at the same time.

Mark

I live about 45 minutes SE of Yorktown just a 1/4 mile off Rt. 17.

My MIG welder uses gas not flux wire. So it'll be a neat almost spatter free weld. Wire brush it once cool and touch up the paint. The actual welding will take just a minute.

Check you local community college for welding classes. That's where I got formal instruction. You can do OK learning by yourself. But there is no substitute for good formal instruction in this skill!

The really small 110v portable MIGs use flux wire. Makes a nastier weld with much spatter and the flux is a bear to clean off. A good gas rigged MIG will weld almost as clean as a TIG will!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#7 Bural

Bural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Fall rally update:  Just talked to the KOA campground, and Saturday night they will be having an Oktoberfest dinner at 5:30.  They are providing the brats and campers will bring the side dishes (German theme preferred).  For those unable to bring a dish, they are asking a donation of $4 per person.  I think this will be a nice event for our group to attend.  Thanks Mark MB750 for the tip.
Richard & Jan
96 R90 Ural (for sale soon)
Dnepr/BMWR90  The Beepr

#8 Duckyde

Duckyde

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

Beer, Brats, and german food.....Hmmm honey, no need for a campfire I'll bring my own heat.  The ralley could not have a better name
.....boldly going nowhere....

#9 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hey Bural!!!!!

Were you able to get the big coffee pot for us to use?

Donna and I picked up a can of coffee, some sugar and half & half and cups and spoons today at the store.

Let me knwo if we have the use of that pot. Otherwise we'll have to have volunteers bring a couple regular home ones.

I'm baking Bicotti tonight!!  :wacko:

See y'all there Friday!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#10 Bural

Bural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

With the high price of petrol, we didn't make the trip down to Steve's to pick it up.  We are bringing 2 coffe makers and have plenty of coffee.  What we will need is firewood.  I think Jan will drive the truck again, so we can have plenty.
Richard & Jan
96 R90 Ural (for sale soon)
Dnepr/BMWR90  The Beepr

#11 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:56 AM

You guys have a good time, be careful, Austrailia trip and FART can't co exist, so have to wait til next year when gas is 99.9 again  :thumbsup!:  :atombomb:  :beer!: .....after watching this yo-yo wall street thing, who knows.....have fun....Ken

#12 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:40 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on Oct 14 2008, 01:56 AM, said:

You guys have a good time, be careful, Austrailia trip and FART can't co exist, so have to wait til next year when gas is 99.9 again  :thumbsup!:  :atombomb:  :beer!: .....after watching this yo-yo wall street thing, who knows.....have fun....Ken

We missed you Ken!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users