17 replies to this topic

#16 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

Why do you guys think this is a 70's sidecar? I'm not spotting any differences with my 94 and I don't think they change to the 2 point fender mount untill 01? I did not think they changed to the larger lighting untill it had to get approved for the western market after the fall of the Iron Curtian. Any 70's riggs I've seen were in the Ural museum, that was kind of a blur with so much to look at. 60's Urals I've see have smaller hubs.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#17 dan3up

dan3up

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

well i'll tell ya this much...The original owner bought this well before the millenium. he stopped riding is the late 80's. Also he bought the bike new from showroom in '82. The sidecar was ordered from Russia and went straight to the paint shop when the bike was new.

Thanks for everyones input

#18 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

I have a Ural side car that was attached to a 9.5 BMW R69, owner found he had less power than he thought.  It has a metal label that declares it is a 1973 Ural side car. very neat and trim, compared to later s/cars. no side car brake, no idea where it came from, US import or UK.

And what is the value of a bike? People seem to take two different perspectives, the first is what year is it. With all things Russian, it has little meaning, since the year of parts mfg, and that number on the title has no relation ship. The year thing, it a throw over to the good old used car lot, where every thing was owned by a little ol' lady in Pasadena....LOL   What is important is the care and maintence the bike has seen, if you see rusty old nuts and screws that have the ends rounded off and buggered, you can just about bet that some dude with less than stellar wrenching abilities has been there. There is no other machine of any kind that attracts the amature wrench like a motorcycle. And that is a world wide  problem. The older a machine is the worse it gets. Now if you see new hardware (bolts and screws,washers of the right size, etc)  It's an indication that someone has gone to the time and expense to do it right. This is especially significant on a russian bike. The hardware, as mentioned above is.....well it sucks, I never reuse Russian  hardware. The company "Fastenall" is a good source for new hardware. The pit falls of crappy hardware are many, from wheels falling off, and up. So if you see the above  efforts, your ride is worth more, what kind of lub was used in the crank case? what about filter changes, compression?, got plenty? Is it straight? ride behind it for a couple of miles, it all add's up. The great thing about Russian Iron, is that it is all rebuildable in the hands of a good wrench. Take a look at Weav's M-62 next time you get a chance, It will go for much more than a recent 3700.00 sale. A Russian bike is a possesion, it reflects the man that rides it, its value does not slide up and down like a share of GM stock.  The other day I was  down in S Wisconsin picking up a garden tractor, and it was located is a tiny town that once had a large foundry, and was now used to store and sell snow machine parts, I mention I only worked on and rebuilt s/c motocycles, and this kid said , well we have a really old s/c.....my heart started thumping, swallowed hard, I saw , and held on to the closest firm thing....here was a 1918-1925 side car, mostly complete, 18 in wheel, very light weight, nice lines, no name tag, but looks like it could be Indian cargo/ passenger models for one of the smaller Indians of that era. I paid pretty dear for it, rust and all. A perfect match for my smoldering in the mind project.....The point is, that the value of these bikes is in the mind of the beholder, not some blue book, or my buddy bought one for half that....etc. The stories of people who bought Kit bikes, a garage queen etc, and were going to clean the carbs, and got themselves into a world of frustration, are ledgend. Yet others have mentally  and  money wise, prepared them selves, to do it right, have enjoyed years of "happy Motoring". compared to a recent vintage H-D cost, A Dnepr or Ural is a bargain, from the rebuilder to the prestine one. Do the math, look in the mirror, count your nickels, and how much time you have to devote to what ever level of bike you chose.......Ken :feelssogood:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users