Rule, Brittania? Or is it FOOL Brittania?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

I suppose a number of you  have read the message thread I posted about the poor, abandoned Brit Bike that I (foolishly?) bought this weekend.

The specifics...

Triumph Tiger 750 , 1973 model TR7RV. Has about 4100 miles on the clock, and for unknown reasons she was put away in a garage in 1984.

After 25 years of storage, she's a bit of a mess. It'll need a good bit of wrenching, but at this point I'm confident it can be restored to nearly stock condition, hopefully without breaking the bank.

So far, the more experienced local bikers have been enthusiastic about the chances of getting this critter running again. I am too, but with a good bit more trepidation.

The bike is a bout 95% there. The engine is free and turns to the kick starter; it has good compression and spark, but one of the two ignition coils needs replacement. The first thing to tackle, the fuel system, is a bit of a mess; rusty tank, a lot of varnish everywhere else in the system.

I thought I'd just post the BEFORE pictures here, and keep this thread updated as we reach various mileposts in the raising of this critter from the deceased.

Gavno

Attached Files

Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Lover of complicated radios, simple motorcycles, and friendly old dogs.
ABATE Wisconsin ____________ Patriot Guard Riders
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?
Spiritual Brother to Don Quixote De La Mancha...
          CONNOISEIER OF ROLLER DERBY, KILTS, AND OTHER ESOTERIC EFFLUVIA

#2 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio (W9LBB), plus short wave listening (signals intercept & traffic analysis), dog sports (canine agility competition, and a little conformation ring), deer hunting, competitive combat pistol shooting (.45ACP, .357, .44 magnum), old movies, classical music. Add to the list astronomy, and ATM (Amateur Telescope Making).

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

The paint job on the tank appears to be the original Triumph stuff...   too bad that it's going to have to be repainted. The original is cracked and will soon peel when exposed to the Real World outside of her garage.  In addition, the previous owner had a penchant for adding stickers to it; they've GOTTA GO!!! :thumbsup!:

Attached Files

Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Short Wave Radio Monitoring Station and Irish Setter Retirement Home.
Favorite bumper sticker: I WONDER... WOULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT CELLPHONE SHOVED UP YOUR ASS?

#3 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

Front brake is a kluged mess; there was an improvised alteration to make Hi Riser bars fit using the original hydraulic line. Correction is needed there, along with a general cleaning and overhaul of the calipers and master cylinder.

Attached Files

#4 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

So far...  I'v ordered a copy of the Chilton's book on the Triumph twins, and on EBay I located replacement rubber items (foot pegs, grips, kick starter, and shifter). They say NOS, but that's probably "NOS Replica".

Close enough for Government work!   :thumbsup!:

Today I go down and deal with the title, and check around to see if there are any bike distributers that have tank cleanup / sealing kits in stock.

There's a small dent in the tank that will have to get a glob of Bondo to fill out the curve before painting.

Well...     here we go on the Great Adventure. This won't be a fast job; not much time to deal with it...  but with luck I hope to have the beast's engine running within a month or so, and the rest of what's needed done by spring.

Oh yeah...   I've also gotta get into a 2 wheeler class so I can learn how to ride the damned thing without wrecking it and killing myself!  :thumbsup!:

In the end, I'm hoping to have a Triumph that would bring tears of joy to the eyes of James Dean and Marlon Brando. It all depends on my available time and what's in the local Triumph shop's salvage heap.

Gavno the Ugly

Attached Files

#5 Dubliner15

Dubliner15

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, beer and babes... and flight simulators...<br><br>Books, books, dogs, beer (did I already mention beer?) beer, and the rustier things in life :)

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Beautiful!

Good luck with her!

Dub
ДЧ6

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1990 Dnepr OHV 'Fidelma' - K750 tank, K68 carbs, five coats of black paint, lots of tinkering and some expert advice.
1991 Dnepr OHV 'Brandbilen' - work in progress - RAL 7021 make-up on an underused pig.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dub's Dnepr

Russian bikes are not a mode of transport - they are a test of character.

It's always DneprTime

#6 jeep44

jeep44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

Here's a '67 that I got running again about a month ago. It was in a shed for about 20 years.

Posted Image
1997 Tourist
2007 RE Bullet
1940 and 1944 BSA M20s
1967 Triumph 500 T100
1980 HD XLS Roadster
Norton/Matchless mix

#7 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:56 AM

Beautiful bikes. Being without a Triumph is like being without sex.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#8 chriso

chriso

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:I collect 18th century artifacts, and Manhatten project artifacts. I dabble in electron Microscopy, and proton beam machines. I also reenact both American and British 18th century military.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

View Postavalon, on May 5 2009, 08:56 AM, said:

So, a Ural is just self gratification? Or would that be the Enfield? :thumbsup!:
97 Ural BC
07 Royal Enfield
'00 Great Pyrenees and a dogsled.
"nice boots, where's your horse?"
"Parked right out there, he's iron and eats Dinosaurs"

#9 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

View Postjeep44, on May 5 2009, 07:55 AM, said:

Here's a '67 that I got running again about a month ago. It was in a shed for about 20 years.

Posted Image

THAT is a good looking restoration!  I just hope mine comes out looking half that good!   :cheers:

In any case...   running or not, the bike is titled in my name and legal now, and a COLLECTOR plate will be in the mail shortly.

The downside... the trip to DMV made me $153.00 lighter. Between the title fee, twice the biannual license fee for the collectors plate, and various odds and ends, it added up fast.

The upside...  the COLLECTOR plate is PERPETUAL, and the biannual fee X 2 is a one time cost. I never have to worry about renewing plates on this bike ever again.  :P

The only thing that has me a bit concerned...  

Under the rules for COLLECTOR plates, they say the bike has to meet original manufacturer's specs. I assume that means no engine tinkering, and no frame modifications. I'm good with that.

However...   the handlebars are clearly not stock, and the bike came with no turn signals (mounting points for them are provided from the factory, however). Ditto, no mirrors.

On the turn signls, I can argue that they were an option on the model...  besides, how can a cop bitch about adding basic safety equipment that's required by Wisconsin state statute anyway (apparently they were NOT required in Illinois in 1973!)?

Adding aftermarket mirrors, same argument works.

But the handlebars....   I'm hoping that the baby apehangers, not being outrageously conspicuous in terms of extreme rise, will be mistaken for a stock item by the local Dunkin Donuts Patrol.

Checking with the area motorcycle emporiums, I discovered that there is a local radiator repair shop that's run by a Biker, and he does derusting and coating of bike tanks for $100 or less!   :smile: He does NOT use Kreem Koat (he spewed obscenities when I mentioned the stuff). I'll be leaving the tank with him in the next couple of days; the tank work is an inherently nasty job, and his rates aren't that much more expensive than doing it myself with an online ordered kit. It's worth it to let his shop do the job!    :thumbsup!:

Tank painting...   it's possible that I'll wind up doing it myself. Stay tuned.

Next problem...   searching around for a place that makes custom length cables for throttle and clutch. The existing cables are stock, and those handlebars made them a kludge job...   besides, they're not only beat up externally, but I think they're frozen from internal rust.

There's nobody local that does it anymore; stock cables are pretty cheaply available as off the shelf items, and killed the need for shops that custom make them. So...  once we check things out in the Chiltons, we determine how much more length is needed and take to the Net.

Still looking around for two Brit petcocks; the ones on the bike are pretty much a total loss.

It ain't much...   but it IS progress.

Gavno

#10 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

View Postchriso, on May 5 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

View Postavalon, on May 5 2009, 08:56 AM, said:

So, a Ural is just self gratification? Or would that be the Enfield? :thumbsup!:

Even self gratification is HIGHLY enjoyable!    :cheers:

But now and then something different is VERY much appreciated too!

I got hooked on the Triumphs, quite frankly, because of it's aesthetics; the engineering and performance are just icing on the cake.

I've gotta admit...  the lines of the Triumph are somehow VERY satisfying.

Gavno

#11 jeep44

jeep44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

My biggest expenses in my restoration were paint and powdercoating. My painter had the gas tank completely stripped and boiled out before he even began on it-then a radiator/gas tank place applied a coating to the inside of the tank that is much superior to that Kreem stuff (even though I have used that stuff sucessfully in the past). I had the frame and all its associated pieces powdercoated.
   Your rims look suprisingly rust-free-mine took a laborious scrubbing with a brush and chrome polish to get them decent looking. The headlight shell was just too pitted to save,so I had to get a repop. I was going to recover my seat,but when I removed the old cover,I found that the seat pan was too rusted to recover-so I had to get an all-new seat. The front fender had been bobbed, so again,I had to get a repop-all these things add up fast.I wanted reliability,so I went with a new electronic ignition,and replaced the rectifier/diode with a modern unit,too. The taillight bulb is an LED replacement-uses much less juice,which is not in abundance with the stock alternator,anyway. New, high-output ones are available,however. You can make your Triumph into a very reliable,modern bike with not too much effort. Good luck with it!
1997 Tourist
2007 RE Bullet
1940 and 1944 BSA M20s
1967 Triumph 500 T100
1980 HD XLS Roadster
Norton/Matchless mix

#12 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

View Postjeep44, on May 6 2009, 10:54 PM, said:

My biggest expenses in my restoration were paint and powdercoating. My painter had the gas tank completely stripped and boiled out before he even began on it-then a radiator/gas tank place applied a coating to the inside of the tank that is much superior to that Kreem stuff (even though I have used that stuff sucessfully in the past). I had the frame and all its associated pieces powdercoated.
   Your rims look suprisingly rust-free-mine took a laborious scrubbing with a brush and chrome polish to get them decent looking. The headlight shell was just too pitted to save,so I had to get a repop. I was going to recover my seat,but when I removed the old cover,I found that the seat pan was too rusted to recover-so I had to get an all-new seat. The front fender had been bobbed, so again,I had to get a repop-all these things add up fast.I wanted reliability,so I went with a new electronic ignition,and replaced the rectifier/diode with a modern unit,too. The taillight bulb is an LED replacement-uses much less juice,which is not in abundance with the stock alternator,anyway. New, high-output ones are available,however. You can make your Triumph into a very reliable,modern bike with not too much effort. Good luck with it!

This is definitely the time to decide on powder coating the frame or not. I'm still torn on it; gotta check rates at the local shops, but I'm tending toward going with just a touchup as needed of the existing paint. Overall, it's not in bad shape.

The gas tank is at a radiator shop right now, getting a cleanout and interior coating. I told them I'm not in a huge hurry for the tank, 'cause it won't be needed for a few weeks at least. I'm still looking for area painters for dealing with that.

Yes, I was quite surprised at the condition of the rims; not even a trace of rust bubbles in the plating. All they're gonna need is some chrome polish. The spokes have a layer of tarnish, but then they weren't chrome plated, so that's to e expected.

Depending on just what the plating shop says, I am considering replacing the light bucket on this bike too; a new repro can be had for only about $55.00 (Northern Eagle Cycle LTD in Canada). At this point, other items to be replated include the shifter lever and kick starter lever...  possibly the springs on the rear shocks, and MAYBE the pipes. The hulls of the Pea Shooters don't appear to need any replating.

I was VERY fortunate on the seat! After applying a couple of coats of spray on vinyl treatment to it, the seat looks and feels like it came out of the factory yesterday, except for the faded logo at the back. No tears, and it's not ever mashed out of shape by a lotta butt hours!

A pair of replacement petcocks, a pair of bar end mirrors, and some minor doodads have been purchased off of EBAY

Still waiting for the Chilton's book to arrive; once it does, we dig into the electrical system. I'm thinking of restoring the system to stock; right now it doesn't use a battery, and has a gizmo called a Mity Max in it's place. To cut down on problems caused by Lucas, Prince of Darkness, as well as problems cause by age, I've been advised to consider fabricating a whole new wiring harness using wire with MODERN insulation (if I can afford it, I'd like to go with Teflon insulated avionics wire), and connectors OTHER than Lucas designs. The theory by local MG nuts is that the design of Lucas connectors is the cause of 95% of the Brit vehicle electrical problems; they load up with an insulating coating of lead oxide over time because of the way the connectors were soldered originally.

Considering a Boyer ignition upgrade later on down the line; for the present, I'll stick with the points and condenser stock system. It's simple and easy to deal with.

High intensity LED lights are a good idea! There's more than enough room in that taillight bucket, and it's not hard to convert the indicators to LED operation. Ditto illumination for the tach and speedo. I'm going to keep the aftermarket turn signals as incandescent lamps tho; I want to use a stock flasher, and LEDs wouldn't pull enough current to make it operate.

Gavno

#13 jeep44

jeep44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:12 AM

View PostGAVNO, on May 8 2009, 12:56 AM, said:

View Postjeep44, on May 6 2009, 10:54 PM, said:

This is definitely the time to decide on powder coating the frame or not. I'm still torn on it; gotta check rates at the local shops, but I'm tending toward going with just a touchup as needed of the existing paint. Overall, it's not in bad shape.

The gas tank is at a radiator shop right now, getting a cleanout and interior coating. I told them I'm not in a huge hurry for the tank, 'cause it won't be needed for a few weeks at least. I'm still looking for area painters for dealing with that.

Yes, I was quite surprised at the condition of the rims; not even a trace of rust bubbles in the plating. All they're gonna need is some chrome polish. The spokes have a layer of tarnish, but then they weren't chrome plated, so that's to e expected.

Depending on just what the plating shop says, I am considering replacing the light bucket on this bike too; a new repro can be had for only about $55.00 (Northern Eagle Cycle LTD in Canada). At this point, other items to be replated include the shifter lever and kick starter lever...  possibly the springs on the rear shocks, and MAYBE the pipes. The hulls of the Pea Shooters don't appear to need any replating.

I was VERY fortunate on the seat! After applying a couple of coats of spray on vinyl treatment to it, the seat looks and feels like it came out of the factory yesterday, except for the faded logo at the back. No tears, and it's not ever mashed out of shape by a lotta butt hours!

A pair of replacement petcocks, a pair of bar end mirrors, and some minor doodads have been purchased off of EBAY

Still waiting for the Chilton's book to arrive; once it does, we dig into the electrical system. I'm thinking of restoring the system to stock; right now it doesn't use a battery, and has a gizmo called a Mity Max in it's place. To cut down on problems caused by Lucas, Prince of Darkness, as well as problems cause by age, I've been advised to consider fabricating a whole new wiring harness using wire with MODERN insulation (if I can afford it, I'd like to go with Teflon insulated avionics wire), and connectors OTHER than Lucas designs. The theory by local MG nuts is that the design of Lucas connectors is the cause of 95% of the Brit vehicle electrical problems; they load up with an insulating coating of lead oxide over time because of the way the connectors were soldered originally.

Considering a Boyer ignition upgrade later on down the line; for the present, I'll stick with the points and condenser stock system. It's simple and easy to deal with.

High intensity LED lights are a good idea! There's more than enough room in that taillight bucket, and it's not hard to convert the indicators to LED operation. Ditto illumination for the tach and speedo. I'm going to keep the aftermarket turn signals as incandescent lamps tho; I want to use a stock flasher, and LEDs wouldn't pull enough current to make it operate.

Gavno

In my experience,most wiring problems have been due to loose connections and unsecured wires. Old,brittle, cracked insulation doesn't help, either. I replaced the wiring on this triumph with a new, British-made harness. I ensured that each and every connection was tight,and as always, I used many, many wire ties to make sure no wire could flop around and work itself loose. These British-made harnesses are made up of high-quality wires,and have the correct loom covering,too. I've got one on the way to replace the old harness on my '69 BSA.
1997 Tourist
2007 RE Bullet
1940 and 1944 BSA M20s
1967 Triumph 500 T100
1980 HD XLS Roadster
Norton/Matchless mix

#14 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

I began attacking the fuel system yesterday; it's rather interesting to see what a system that's been ignored for 25 years looks like. Those who are considering restoring a bike might find this illuminating...  it gives you an idea of the Fun and Games that will be YOURS!!!   ^_^

Incidentally...   if you're gonna deal with a project like this, the commercially available books (Haynes, Chilton and the like) are useful, but what I'm finding to be ABSOLUTELY INDISPENSIBLE is the manufacturer's Parts Catalog! I was fortunate enough to find a downloadable copy of the appropriate one for this bike online (.pdf file). The exploded view drawings are, to me, a whole lot clearer and easier to understand than a service manual when you're actually trying to tear down or put together a subassembly like a carb.

Remember the line from "Dante's Inferno" that goes "All Ye who enter here, Abandon Hope"? Well, if you have ANY illusions at all about going carefully and possibly salvaging & reusing 25 year old gaskets, Dante hit the nail on the head.  :feelssogood:  Reclaimation ain't gonna happen... No Way, No How!

Working with a Triumph, I'm lucky; gasket sets are cheap and readily available online. However, it would have been a BIG help if I had ordered the CORRECT gasket set for MY carburator!!!   :thumbsup!:

Anyway...  with only a little bit of diddling around I managed to get that strangely designed Amal concentric carb off of the bike. I quickly discovered that unless I wanted to try taking the carb apart out in the driveway, the throttle had to be disassembled and it's cable released at that end; the cable doesn't come off at the carb end!  :glare:

I quickly found out that contrary to my previous opinion, the throttle cable is NOT jammed by internal rust; the grip ain't moving because the carburator is GLUED TOGETHER by varnish!!! Before disassembly could even begin, the entire carb had to be liberally dosed with penetrating oil.

A hint...  when you take the float bowl off of a carb, consider the possibility that even after 25 years it will STILL contain a significant amount of really stinky varnish! If possible, pull it off outside!

After getting most of the parts seperated from the main carb body, the most reasonable way to deal with things was a coffee can full of laquer thinner. The parts are currently marinating in the stuff, with the plastic lid on. True, the thinner WILL attack the lid and cause it to fail in a few days, but if you don't have a cover on it's gonna all evaporate before it can do your carb parts any good.

Incidentally...   laquer thinner is VERY flammable, and can even be an explosive in some circumstances. Let your carburator soup brew OUTSIDE...   DON'T put it in the garage!

DO NOT put plastic carb parts in laquer thinner!!!   They will dissolve in short order. In the case of an Amal 900 series concentrics, there are only two plastic parts...   the float, and a fuel filter.

Removing the fuel filter was a bit of a chore. It SHOULD just fall out of it's opening, but it had to be pried out with a jeweler's screwdriver; it was glued in place.

Once it was out, I was horrified by what I saw. The varnish was dried hard, and it was literally crumbling off of the silk filter panels in little chunks!

A quick check of parts distributers didn't show replacements, so I decided to see if this one could be salvaged.

The filter, and the carb float, went into another coffee can...  but this time the cleaning solvent was 190 proof wood alcohol. After an initial dunking of just a few minutes, the two peices were checked carefully for any obvious signs of softening, bloating or deformation. In this case, all was well.

After a few minutes the carb float was clean and ready to be reinstalled. It was taken off of the alcohol bath and put away.

Within a couple of hours, maybe 95% of the varnish was off of the fuel filter, and the silk screens were almost completely clear and undamaged. I still have the filter in the alcohol bath (just to see how much of the crud I can get off of it), and it'll come out later today, ready for reinstallation.

Fuel lines from tank to carb; they're toast. Replace 'em. Vinyl tubing is cheap.

Petcocks; I have two brand new replacements, all ready to install when the tank is back from being derusted / sealed / painted.

Inspecting the header, it doesn't appear that there's any significant varnish deposit present there. If I'm lucky, once I get the engine running again, gasoline will dissolve any light deposits that may be there.

In any case...  I think I'm gonna hold off on any other major explorations of bike systems until this one is finished (carb reassembled and put back on)... but the next cave we go into is gonna be the oil system.

In other areas...  EBAY has been a boon in this project so far.

I got REAL lucky and found a replacement for the missing stainles steel front fender; $25.00 + mailing is a whole hell of a lot better than what the Brit Bike places are asking!  Now, I need to find the three piece fender stay system that it uses...  but we're off to a good start.  :smile:

Yesterday I discovered, thru an EBAY ad, that there's a guy just 5 miles down the road who is trying to sell a set of NOS pipes! My pipes are serviceable, but there are rust issues on the chrome. Nobody placed a bid on his pipes; I'll be seeing him in a day or so.

Gavno the Ugly

#15 GAVNO

GAVNO

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

Well...   two significant plusses yesterday.

First one; I got a call from Judd's Radiator Repair Service, informing me that the tank is ready to be picked up.   :smile: I wasn't expecting things to happen that fast; I told them to take thier time because I wouldn't need a tank for at least a month, probably more...  but we got a turnaround in less than a week!

The reason for that was clear when I picked up the tank. Lined up along the counter were perhaps a DOZEN motorcycle tanks waiting to be picked up... and on the workbench in back there was another long line of 'em in various states of prep. No traces of radiators could be seen; the shop had apparently shifted to Motorcycle Mode due to a lull in the endless line of radiators to be patched up.

Judd was doing whole batches of bike tanks at one time, just to keep the shop busy.

I'd had my doubts about it when I dropped off my tank; I'd figured (feared) that when the acid hit the inside of it to attack the rust scale, this tank would start leaking like a seive, and Judd would have to resort to hole patching with a brazing torch... assuming there was enough of the tank left to hold all the patches together!

But I'd overestimated the extent of the damage here; the tank stripped out nicely, and there wasn't a single leak in it. He said it seems to be pretty sound...  the Brits make better steel than I'd realized!   :(

On the bare steel is now a pretty green layer of epoxy sealer. Operationally, this puppy is Ready to Rock...  but the issue of repainting it still has to be dealt with before a single drop of gasoline enters the filler neck.

Final bill...   $126.00, and IMHO it was worth every penny!

The second plus...  upon arriving home, I was sort of confused by a very odd looking package waiting at the front door.

It was constructed of three USPS boxes taped together at the ends, forming a sort of boxy arc.

I couldn't imagine what was inside at first, then it hit me; THIS was how the EBay front fender was boxed for shipment!   :laugh:

It turns out that I got REAL lucky on this one.

The same fender was made in 3 different versions; painted steel (for some T140 Bonnevilles), plain stainless steel (for OTHER T140 Bonnevilles), and chrome plated (for the Tiger 750). From the EBay ad I knew it wasn't a painted one...  but that's all I could tell. If it's stainless, I can live with it... but the chrome plated one is a match for my rear fender.

It's the chrome plated version. Apparently, ditching the front fender was VERY popular with Tiger owners.

To make it better...   the bolt holes are in good shape; no metal deformation at all there, so no need to play blacksmith on it before installation! The chrome looks VERY good; all it needs is some metal polish to look like new!   :smile:

Only one very odd thing there...

Maybe it's just me...  but when you sell a fender on EBAY, doesn't it seem like a reasonable idea to take it out in the backyard and HOSE OFF ALL THE MUD inside of it? Hell...  the mud was EASILY half of the shipping weight of this beast!   :laugh:

To go back to the tank for a moment...   I'm reaching the conclusion that even tho they wield spray guns for the most part, an awful lot of folks who are painting bikes nowadays seem to think thier last names are Rembrandt or Van Gough! They're tempermental as hell, and they're EXPENSIVE!!!

Checking with one local guy here...   I told him what I want. Do the tank up in the original colors (Teal Blue & White, with gold metallic trim) in the original configuration, with 2 or 3 layers of clear coat over it.

His first comment...   "How boring. How unimaginative"!

In the end, he finally advised me to take the work elsewhere. "We'll never be able to come to terms on this one. You're too pedestrian and conventional to be a biker...  no sense of aesthetic adventure!"  :blink:

I can't be certain, but I think I've just been insulted...

I've already been warned about one particular local bike painter...  a customer had described exactly what he wanted (essentially a factory paint job), and left the bike to be worked on.

The next day he came back to the pot smoke shrouded shop to check on progress, only to find his bike completely covered with a Star Wars mural...  and Darth Vader grinning up evilly from the fuel tank, the filler neck rather imaginatively disguised as part of the breathing apparatus in his helmet!  :ohmy:

BEAUTIFULLY done work...  but NOT what the customer had asked for. Not even in the same ballpark... or even the same Galaxy, close by or far, far away!

This frustrated artist couldn't seem to get it into his THC soaked brain exactly WHY the customer was pissed off. "But...  This is BETTER, Man! It's SO much better than what you asked for!!!"   :feelssogood:

The online paint shops are apparently better...   they'll do ANYTHING you ask for a buck...   but they want a whole LOTTA bucks.

One shop gave me an estimate of $564.00, and I pay the shipping costs both ways!

In the end, I may very well wind up manning the spray gun myself. I don't wanna hang the damned thing on the wall in a frame, I wanna RIDE it!"  :thumbsup!:

Gavno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users