• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

I am curious as to whether or not a Ural would be capable of taking on the Trans-America Trail from start to finish.  If so, what would be some recommendations?

#2 fatbob

fatbob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles & sidecars; guns; reading; music; model building; fishing; small cars

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

Spare parts, tools and a good single malt!

#3 propwash

propwash

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

This should inspire you
http://advrider.com/...dirtbag.910213/

#4 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

I have also been considering what modifications I might need to make to the bike in order to complete the trail.  Any ideas?

#5 Camel Jockey

Camel Jockey

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

I realize this topic is old, but thought I’d respond anyhow.  I did the TAT from NC to Moab, UT last summer on a DRZ400S. I was following Sam's track.  There is another that has a fair amount of single track.  As best I recall, there were no sections too narrow for a Ural though Marshall Pass was about Ural width in places.

However, I read a post in another forum somewhere about a guy who had significant challenges with power in the high passes of CO.  He was not able to make the climb on one, and had to turn around...not necessarily the easiest thing to do since the trail is often a single vehicle wide with a very long drop off one side of the road.  

From personal experience, the descent going West from Ophir Pass is very loose scree and talus, again with a steep drop off one side.  Speed control would be essential.  If your brakes were at all compromised at that point, you could have some serious problems.

Let us know if you try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users