• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WEGUNTER

WEGUNTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Know I have several threads going on this topic but I just wanted to wrap everything up in one consolidated thread and present updated information to the group.

LOCATION: The CRAP rally will be held at the Old Gilliam Mill located on Route 42 approximately 5 miles west of Rois ute 15-501 in Sandford NC.

SITE DESCRIPTION: The Old Gilliam Mill is a working sawmill with numerous steam powered saw machines and wood splitters. You can view pictures of the camp site at www.olegilliammill.org . There is a full kitchen with stove and fridges for use by the group. Bathrooms with showers are adjacent to the kitchen. There is also a covered pavillion and outdoor stage which we will be able to use. Fresh water spigots and some electrical outlets are scattered throughout the campground. There is plenty of room for tent camping as well as anyone with an RV. There is additional parking across Route 42 if you need to park a trailer out of the way. Site costs are $6 per night for tents and $10 per night for RV's.

COSTS: I have already dropped a $150 deposit to reserve the site which is part of a $675 usage fee. Based on past attendance (estimated 50 pax) the cost per rider will be around $40. However the more people we have attend will adjust the final cost. Once we get a finalized list I will do the math and publish a final cost. Have cash available when you show up because I have to pay the owner up front.

FOOD: Count on some of the best eating this side of the Atlantic. Do not know if we can live up to past expectations but we are going to try. We will have four sponsored potluck meals: Friday night, Saturday morning and night and Sunday morning. Tuba Rick is in charge of food management and he will publish a list of requested items. High demand bulk items will be fire wood, bottled water, charcoal and ice.

AGENDA: I will occupy the campground by 0800 on the 28th and you are welcome show up anytime after that. Friday afternoon (and possibly Saturday we will have maintenance classes taught by Van and Bob (Rougaroo). We also normally have at least one dealer show up and other Ural gurus who are happy to pontificate or turn a wrench. Around 1800 we will have Friday night dinner followed by campfire festivities. On Saturday morning we will have a sponsored breakfast and then try to hit the road by 0900. I have two different rides planned. One is a long ride (about 6 hours) out through the Uharwie National Forest and we will also have a shorter route in the Carthage area for those that do not want to stay out that long. Following the rides we will have a Saturday night banquet followed by an awards ceremony. Dnepr Tim is in charge of the awards and is collecting up goodies from IMZ in order to pass. On Sunday we will have a pancake breakfast followed by group photos. No rush on packing out since I have the site all day Sunday.

DOGS AND CHILDREN: Dogs are free to roam and cause any havoc they want. Children must be kept on a short leash at all times. Under no circumstances are they allowed to dance in the fire pit or play with the saw mill blades. Anyone who sets themselves on fire with gasoline (yes this really happened) and runs through the campsite will be promptly ejected.

RALLY THEME: Just a note. This is a sidecar rally primarily devoted to Urals and Dneprs. If you drive a hack or are interested in the Ural community you are more than welcome to join us. We have a really tight group of friends many of whom have been participating in this rally for over a decade and we want to maintain that special bond. If you are part of the Ural/Dnepr community (or are interested in joining) you are welcome....................other riders (I will refrain from mentioning the brand) need to find someplace else to go.

FINAL INSTRUCTIONS: So far we have 25 people and 16 rigs signed up. When you get a chance go ahead and reconfirm your attendance on this thread. Please indicate: Tent/RV/hammock, Number of people in party, Potluck contributions (or other stuff) and any special requirements you might have. I will post this update on both Soviet Steeds and Russian Iron.

Any questions just shoot me an email.

Bill

#2 Snapper33

Snapper33

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

I'm in
RV (12' utility trailer camper)
Just myself
I will bring things on the "requested/need list"

I'm excited to meet you all.  I just bought a 2001 Ural, in restoration.  Can't ride yet, but I can learn from you all.

#3 WEGUNTER

WEGUNTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

Welcome aboard Snapper.  If you are looking for advice and restoration tips then the rally is the right place to be.  Looking forward to meeting you.

Bill

#4 WEGUNTER

WEGUNTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Looks like it is going to be a great rally.  Have a total of 22 rigs scheduled and it is still early in the game.

Bill

#5 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

Hi Bill - Sign me up.  1 person, tent camping.  I'll be bringing some Baltika for sure.

Everyone else - I recently sold my BMW, so I have a copy of the Clymer manual for the 1993-2005 R850, R1100, R1150 and R1200C models.  First person to call dibs can get it from me at the CRAP.
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#6 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'll see about the gig. Damn school play is on that weekend again. May hafta come Saturday.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#7 WEGUNTER

WEGUNTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

CRAP LOCATION CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All concerned.  Due to scheduling problems with the mill we have moved CRAP to the Deep River Campground just outside of Asheboro.  This is a really great campground and they are anxious to host us. This is a KOA campground so it has all of the amenities one would expect.  Flat rate of $20 per night per tent payable at the main office when you show up.  RV's  you will pay tent prices as long as you do nor require water and sewage hook up.  Also there are cabins available as well. We have the group camp area so no need to make your own reservations (unless you want a cabin or full RV pad) I will put out more details as soon as we get closer, but I wanted to get this change out there as fast as possible. We have the group camp area already reserved. Here are the details:

Deep River Campground
814 McDowell Country Trail, Asheboro NC 27203
Phone 336 629 4069
deeprivercampground.com
Location:  Approximate 3 miles from outskirts of Asheboro, East on 64.  Turnoff is the corner of 64 and Lofflin Pond Road

Dates for CRAP remain the same 28-30 April.  Folks can also show up early and just pay for an extra night. If you do end up calling them, make sure you ask for Linda and let her know you are with the CRAP rally.  Once again the group site is already reserved. Only reason to call is if you want a cabin or full RV site

Bill

#8 WEGUNTER

WEGUNTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Snapper,  If you bringing an RV, give Linda a call at Deep River Campground and reserve a spot.  Not sure you will need an actual RV pad or not since yours is only 12' cargo.  But talk to her anyways. Price for RV spots is 35 a night/Tent camping is only 20 per night. Give me a shout if you need assistance

Bill

#9 Snapper33

Snapper33

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

Bill, sorry for delayed response.  Thanks, I will call Linda.  I have sent you a PM as well regarding supplies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users