• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

First, a thank you for all the well wishers on my 82nd birthdy,  which prompted me to look back sort of, as I work on or with a piece of work designed or made in my lifetime.......sorry thats about a mouthfull. How ever to move on, Dneprs have been a part of my life for some time, I don't speak the language, and of course I don't know the history very well at all. I do know that the Ukraine has been under the thumb  of mother Russia for  good part of the last 100 years or so.  My trusty HP computer with the XP operating system has got the hiccups,flatus, and other eliminations that render it near worth less.......So in a high learning curve on Lorne' Apple I ran across a word called HOLODOMOR, that in the Ukrainian speak, refers to death by starvation. I continued on and found wikipidia title under that name..,..It is some very somber reading, there are some pictures also very somber.
I now see only slightly at most, some of the pain that appears in the work on our beloved Dneprs, by the work man that built them........ I urge you to read that, that has been hidden from us in the past.....and most of this occured at the time frame of my birth in mid April of 1933.................Ken

#2 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Cheers Ken to your age and grace. Also cheers to the stiff upper lip of the Ukrainian people even after all this time.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#3 sly-uncle

sly-uncle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ob50bQsNeXo

#4 mracer

mracer

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Interests:Vintage racing, cars, motorcycles, art, books, travel, weapons, photography, my wife and my son.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Ken, I hope i am not too late to wish you the very best and many many years of gracing us all with your presence!  As for the historical perspective, Ukraine had been with Russia for quite the very long time (Kiev - capitol of Ukraine, is over 1500 years old!) and generally Kiev is considered to be the birthplace of Russia ( for those that are interested - http://en.wikipedia....iki/Kievan_Rus' ). This could explain Russia's particular interest in keeping Ukraine close.
Max

#5 harleych

harleych

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

on my view Kiev is capital of ancient russia. modern ukrainian aria is aria of russia ocupated by germans in ww1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users