2 replies to this topic

#1 skunk

skunk

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

My brake lights are on all the time, I need to go to my AmVets post to print the section about these switches and this problem in the "Unofficial Ural Manual" Bill Glass has before I order a new switch.  I have oil leaking where the chrome pushrod covers meet the engine that is making a mess, is this a common problem?  It is 11 years old with 25,000km.  I have the hack off so I can get to the switch at this time.  I removed a wire with a double lock nut and adjustment screw from the right side in front of the reverse lever to allow play in the brake switch wires, what is that and should I take special care when I re-install it?  I don't think I've posted here before, I used to ask for help on the Ural message board from the factory site, I hope this site is as helpfull.  I've had this Ural for nine years and a loss of balance makes riding two wheel bikes a thing of the past for me, my other street bike is a 1969 Harley GE Servi-car and I have a Polaris 6x6 ATV for the farm.  I've been riding since 1968 and didn't want to give it up for a lack of balance.
Tom Berta
LeRoy, Ohio  (Lake County)

#2 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Tom:
The oil leaking from the pushrod covers might indicate the rubber covers need replacement, due to age.  Check them for cracking.  Sometime simply rotating them around some might stop/decrease the leaking oil.  Or increase the leaks...
Also verify that the crankcase breather hose (going from the front-left of the engine to the air box) is properly connected and open (I've seem collapsed hoses here), and that the air box filter is not clogged with oil.  If crankcase pressure is allowed to increase, oil likes to leak out from any available escape routes, like those pushrod seals.

The wire you removed is for the neutral light.  It will require adjustment after reassembly.  When reassembling it, make sure NOT to screw in the adjuster screw too far.  It can interfere with the transmission shifting.  
To adjust the neutral light, have the engine off, the transmission in neutral, and the ignition switch in run.  With the lock nut turned *almost* snug, carefully screw in the adjuster until the neutral light goes on.  Then tighten the nut.  Sometimes this last tightening changes the adjustment.  You might need to make several attempts to get it operating consistently and properly.  Adjust, tighten, test, repeat.  Sometimes it's helpful to stop and go get a beer...

Let us know how this all goes.
~RN

#3 skunk

skunk

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

Russ.
Thanks for the answer.  How do I change pushrod rubber?  I bought my 04 Tourist on eBay in 2006 for $6,900, it had 600 km but no breather hose to the air cleaner, instead it has a 90 degree fitting with a small K&N type filter clamped to it, I'll try cleaning it but with oil leaking at 3 of 4 pushrods on a 11 yearold machine I ought to order new ones from Crawfords along with a brake light switch.  I was out your way in 2012 when my brother's daughter got married outside of Rosylnn, he lives in North Bend under Mount Si, take it easy but take it.
Tom Berta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users