• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fletch

Fletch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

as exciting as they are, i have a question about the seat silent blocks.

Simple (newbie) question that hopefully comes with a simple answer.

i have (like many of you other guys) one (or a few) of these:
Posted Image

rubber seat silent blocks.
On the diagram where the red arrows are, there is, could or should be (depending on where located) tapped metal plates to accept the locking bolts.

Basically i have a spare block that i need to put under the pillion passenger seat, which requires all three of these plates to be nicely locked in. My spare, does not have a tapped metal plate at the top where i need it. There is the correct space to fit one here though.

Should it just be as simple as bonding the metal bracket on to the rubber somehow?
(some kind of high strength superglue springs to mind)

Or should it have been molded into the rubber, (therefore id need to buy a new one)?

cheers
1965 Dnepr K750

#2 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

I think they were molded into the rubber. I have one that pops out now and again in that spot. If you can glue it back in, it needs to be pretty tough and flexible. If possible, go over the metal plate a bit as well to grab. Not sure what would be strong and bite into rubber. Shoe Goo? An RTV possibly. Maybe something from smoothon.com if not from the auto store. They have some heavy adhesives. Hope I didn't confuse too much or state too much you already know. The new ones will be NOS, so beware.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#3 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

I think you might be OK with some sort of adhesive (I say might).  Look up a company like Sika to see what they have.
Of course, that might end up with you spending more on a tube of sealer than what it would cost to get another rubber buffer....

#4 razorlight

razorlight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

I had the same problem on both of mine. Tried gluing a couple of loose plates back. The only lasted a couple of weeks. I bought 2 new ones from Ural Zentrale for 9.50e each plus 10e postage. Personally I wouldn't waste your time trying to repair them.
1970 Dnepr K650 and sidecar
England

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users