5 replies to this topic

#1 madoc

madoc

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

I sometimes get a clunk from my final drive, I think, when the bike is coasting,
Doesn't seem to be any obvious play anywhere and I cannot force it, if I jack the bike up and run it.

It's like the final drive or maybe gearbox is playing catch up to the road speed.....

I am guessing I need to do a full strip ......

John Nash

2005 BMW F650GS
1968 chang jiang 750 sidevalve solo
1965 K750 project
1963 M62 combination
1950 Ariel KH500
1947 Ariel OHV 600 twinport
1944 Ariel WNG
1943 Ariel WNG
1940 Royal Enfield WD/CO

#2 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Hello....Well not really sure of which bike you speak!...however put engine in gear and turn rear wheel...slack will reveal itself, either gearbox or axle...but a clonk would most probably be down to UJ...best remove it and check for tight spot...check all of the obvious, first as it is much more difficult to diagnose a problem when you have stripped it all to bits!!

#3 Brian Crean

Brian Crean

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:02 AM

Worn Splines?

#4 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:46 PM

Wisdom would indicate a complete tear down to find the offending clunk, it can be about anywhere of all the above, better to be safe than sorry.....Ken

#5 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:41 AM

But Ken....wisdom would be to ensure you have located clunk , before you strip down everything, to its component parts, and end up with a crankshaft in your hand...and a worn out uj you never paid any never mind to as you sipped your napolian brandy....A good recce is never wasted!....first find fail, then drink beer....then find spanner and hammer....

#6 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:31 PM

I have never tasted napolian brandy, least of all when I'am working on a problem. The first problem is that it is rare to find the crankshaft in the rear end, and with a worn u-joint attached, finding a flail amongst all that, wow! Now you for sure need a beer....several....I don't think you need spanners and hammers, would be too hard to reach the problem....call the nearest proctologist!
you don't need me, my practice is limited to Dnepr's......Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users