• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 razorlight

razorlight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

I have had a problem charging the battery on my 6v Dnepr K650. I had the G 414 generator off the bike, "spun" it for a few seconds with the battery, it worked fine.I then cleaned the commutator and fitted new brushes and refitted it to the bike. I started the bike and was still only getting 0.5v at the generator.

Then tested with the wires off, ran it for about 10 seconds on idle and then fast idle.The voltimeter showed charging up to 16.5v, then turned it off. Re-checked the wiring to the regulator and gen, all fine. So from that, with my basic mechanical skills, I reckoned it must be a problem with the regulator.

I've bought a 6v VAPE electronic regulator and intend to fit it inside the original PP302 box. Anyone done it?, what's the best way to get the existing bits out of the box? I don't want to damage the box.
1970 Dnepr K650 and sidecar
England

#2 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

As I recall, taking the gubbins out was easy enough....just undo the nuts on the terminals and slide the innards out.

#3 razorlight

razorlight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Cheers Mike for the info. I'll have a go at fitting it in at the weekend. I'll have to triple check I wire it right, as according to the wiring instructions if you wire up the earth wrong it destroys the unit!
England

#4 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Wiring looks easy enough.

http://www.powerdyna...s/805058803.htm

resistor is inside stock regulator and gets removed with it.
the stock terminal Я corresponds to D+, Ш is DF + and
B is 51 (Battery)

Posted Image

Just need some isolating grommets for going through the case holes.

#5 razorlight

razorlight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

I thought I'd post up a few pics of the finished item, in case anyone else is thinking of doing it. It took more fiddling about than I thought. I had to carefully cut down the casting because the electronic reg was too wide. I left a bit of the solid casting so I could drill a hole for the earth (ground) mounting, to make sure I didn't drill into the box and damage it. Put a crimped terminal on the D- terminal to seal it off. Wired it up, it's pretty snug in there, but it works and keeps the bike looking original. The generator light goes out immediately the engine is started and it charges at 7.2 volts.

Attached Files

England

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users