• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gregg877

gregg877

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Metal Fab, Shooting sports, antique firearms restoration, military history, radio controlled aircraft(Rotors-multirotor-fixed wing), motorcycles, long walks on the beach...

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:17 AM

So, I bought this swell blackout cover for my headlight, and went to install it and it seems to be a different type then what a lot of you guys have. The headlight on my MT-11 is the BMW style (recessed speedo, 2 indicator lights) possibly made by CJ, but I don't know for sure. The ID of the blackout cover is 7 1/8 or just a little over 180 mm. I know normally you'd just slip the blackout under the headlight ring and bolt it all together, but this one is the same diameter as the bucket and also has 3 flat locking tabs, so it wont fit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gregg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2008 kawasaki Nomad 1600

Mt-11 (work in progress)

Nothing worth doing is easy...

#2 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

I THINK it might fit if you cut the tabs off but am not sure. To me, the blackout looks to be off a Gaz jeep but I'm not a 4 wheel person.

Some people think having a parts bike makes no difference but it does when needing spares or farkles sometimes. Your headlamp does look like a CJ one and the easy way to tell is to measure the inside diameter of the headlamp bezel. all Dnepr and Ural ones measure about 7-1/16" and will not have any sharp edges to the sheet metal where it is turned over. CJ ones have an internal diameter of about 7-1/4" and the edges are usually sharp enough to cut fingers badly. Soviet parts won't fit without modification.

Early Dnepr and Ural headlamps only had a charge warning lamp fitted on the left of the ignition switch. The fitting on the right is not a lamp, it is a fuse. When fitting to later 12v bikes, some people take this out and fit an oil warning lamp in it's place. The lamp and fuse are spaced about 2-7/8" apart cl to cl. CJ headlamp buckets have 2 lamps as standard but they are spaced wider apart. Than on soviet ones.

Hope that helps but I am as much in the dark as you are regarding the blackout. If you do gave a CJ headlamp, you will probably have to go Chinese.

#3 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sidecars

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

You know, those 3 tabs are in the identical place as the adjusting/mounting screws of head lights to most cars/trucks from the WW2 all the way to recent times, that used sealed beam round head lights. Even Harleys with telescopic forks used that pattern to hold the light bucket in place! I am willing to bet this is for a GAZ, Ural, Kamaz, or whatever truck.
2011 Ural Retro
1995/1979 Bural  Sportsman/R100
1988 HD FLHS/Watsonian Cambridge
1951 Servicar

1976 BMW R90/6 Motorvation Royale (Sold Aug 18, 2014)

#4 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

A quick google search shows the beginning of the part no. refers to a MAZ truck made BELAZ.

#5 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

That's cool. I would try to modify it to work if you could with tension tabs or something. How big is the next level forward the lip?  Since it is the same diameter I don't know. You don't want to permanently weld/fix it to the ring.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#6 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

View Postgregg877, on 04 March 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

So, I bought this swell blackout cover for my headlight,

This is a blackout cover for cars.

#7 gregg877

gregg877

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Metal Fab, Shooting sports, antique firearms restoration, military history, radio controlled aircraft(Rotors-multirotor-fixed wing), motorcycles, long walks on the beach...

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:15 AM

Yup...its the "automobile" type, its in nice shape and i dont want to hack it up trying to fit it to my headlight...

Anybody need a blackout for a godless commie truck?
2008 kawasaki Nomad 1600

Mt-11 (work in progress)

Nothing worth doing is easy...

#8 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:28 AM

If ya had two, I could slap 'em on my MGB
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users