2 replies to this topic

#1 BinDerSmokDat

BinDerSmokDat

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

I'm going into my 5th year of Ural ownership.
Besides the bike itself, the other perk of ownership is the other Ural riders.
I fell in with a good bunch of guys when I first got my bike.
Technically it was before I got it, NiteBlues and IvanGrozney were at the dealership that day!  :lol:

Why am I telling you all this!
The first event I ever attended was a Jersey Devil Hunt.
It was an invaluable experience across the board.
I learned about handling, maintenance, riding tips and of course the camaraderie.
As a new owner it is one thing on the forums to see "they all do that!"
But it is reassuring to see 8 bikes in person and actually realize it as fact!

So if you are a new owner or you've owned five Urals, come on out!
We want to break the record of 14 rigs this year and the spring ride is always a good time.

This Spring we are returning to Turtle Run Campground located in Egg Harbor City, NJ.
We will be riding within the 115,000 acre Wharton State Forest, which is just across the road from the campground.

What can you expect? To get your bike dirty and have some fun.
What do you need? A motorcycle and a tent. A Ural/Dnepr is preferred but we've had two wheelers along before.

This is a great opportunity for newer owners to get their feet wet (pun intended) off-roading. This area is very Ural friendly.
Trails are just wide enough to make it seem adventurous. The sand has just enough slip to make it fun and enough traction to get going (most of the time).
There's nothing too steep or scary off camber. If that sounds boring just pick up the speed a bit or try going through that deep hole that everyone else bypassed.  :twisted:

Our "camping" is usually limited to campfire activities as we patronize local establishments for dinner.
For breakfast Turtle Run has restaurant on site that serves up eggs, bacon, pancakes, pork roll, etc.
We eat lunch trailside, so pack a sandwich, snacks, non-alcoholic drinks, etc.

There are area hotels for those that don't "do" camping, you will have to look at the area and find what suits your needs.
You are of course more than welcome to have breakfast with us at the campground or hang around the fire.

Thursday night- 1-2 folks get there and hang out, but not always. I'm going to be there Thursday night, this year I SWEAR it!  :oops:
Friday- Most folks arrive at some point in the day. Setting up camp, short trail rides, occasionally stopping back at camp to pick up new arrivals. Dinner at a local restaurant, relax around campfire.
Saturday- Breakfast at the Turtle Run Grill around 9ish, rally point is the field, ride leaves 9:30am-ish and goes until afternoon-ish, back to camp to shower, Dinner at a local restaurant, NIGHT RIDE on Great Bay Blvd. then back to camp to sit around campfire soothing aching muscles, telling lies, exaggerating our off-road prowess, making memories.
Sunday- Folks start to break camp/head out, Breakfast at Turtle Run Grill, occasionally a morning dirt ride, but no guarantees.

Riding
We will be riding in a NJ State Park, Wharton State Forest.
General NJ Park information...

http://www.state.nj....ks/wharton.html

All vehicles must be registered and street legal.
If your brother in-law wants to tag along on a dual sport bike that's OK; he cannot bring his quad.
Our main activity is trail riding. This is great Uraling territory, mostly flat and sandy, occasional hill, no rocks and some water crossings.
If you get stuck there will be enough of us around to push/pull you out.
1wd or 2wd will be fine and a willingness to push a stuck bike would be nice.
Knobby or 307 pusher helps, but not required. We've had a Retro with a street tire do the ride before.

Note: There is NOT gas nearby. We do not get gas before the ride.
Fill your bike tank before arriving and a gas can is a plus.
We all carry some spare gas so you will probably be OK if you run out, but you don't want to start the ride on fumes.

Meals
We have coffee in camp. Ivan Grozney and UralDude brew up some nice stuff.
A hearty breakfast is served at the 'Turtle Run Grill on site.
We don't leave the trail for lunch so bring a sandwich or snacks.
Turtle Run also has a camp store and snacks in case you need anything.
After riding we head back to camp to clean up and then hit dinner at a local diner or other establishment.
Evenings we relax around the campfire, bring your marshmallows, Halloween candy and Jiffy Pop.

Camping
GPS Address for Campsite is 3 Cedar Lane, Egg Harbor City, NJ 08215

Turtle Run has a convenient grill for breakfast onsite and a camp store.
We will eat breakfast there before heading out to ride.
They have flush toilets and hot showers in a decent private facility.
Alcoholic beverages are allowed, so bring a cooler. Ice is available at the office.
The cost for tent camping is $10 per person, per night.
Reservations are not needed for tent camping, just show up, pay at the office and stake out a spot.
We have the 'group' camping area sites T4, T5 and T6 with a nice big field to park bikes, non-camping trailers, cars, etc.

Turtle Run has Cabins and RV/trailer sites with hookups, please contact them for pricing and to reserve.

Just tell them you are with the Russian motorcycle guys.
The owners are Rich and Joe and they are always great guys to deal with.

Posted Image

Hotel
You'll have to see what is in the area that suits you.

Gas
Bernie's Service Center
5695 U.S. 9
New Gretna, NJ 08224

Citgo
5601 State Highway 9
Bass River, NJ 08087

We hope to see you there!

#2 sallen

sallen

Russian Bike Nut

• Members