• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Schutt

Schutt

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, classic cars and motorcycles, shooting, fly fishing, kayaking, terrible B movies, good whiskey, fine women, and finding time to actually sleep.

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

My '05 retro solo 750 is running 340 on the right and only 220 on the left.  Plugs look fine.  I think I have the carbs synced well, and the bike runs great, but what am I doing wrong to get this temp variance?

#2 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Beautiful Wife, Beer, Bikes, Boats, Books, British Cars.

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:53 PM

I don't know what the cylinder temperatures are supposed to be on a Ural. My Dnepr runs about 265F on both cylinders, when everything is right. I adjust the mixture to make the temperatures match. Enrichen the hot cylinder or lean the cold cylinder a little on whichever cylinder is wrong.

Dave
RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#3 Schutt

Schutt

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, classic cars and motorcycles, shooting, fly fishing, kayaking, terrible B movies, good whiskey, fine women, and finding time to actually sleep.

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

thanks. ill adjust the mixtures.

#4 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

Start from the begining and check everything on both cylinders. Such a big differential is certainly not to be expected and you may well be joining the holy piston club if you don't sort it.

Compression check
Ignition timing
Valve clearances
Clean carburetters
Check operation of choke or enricheners
Air leaks on inlet
Air filter clean
Fuel flow from tank to carb check

Do all that, then balance the carbs again

#5 Schutt

Schutt

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks

#6 Schutt

Schutt

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

A big thanks to both Bilge Keel Dave and dneprlover!  Compression check good.  Reset ignition timing.  Adjusted valves (they were within tolerances but now perfect).  Disassembled and cleaned carbs.  Cleaned air filter, reassembled and verified cracks or leaks going to carbs.  New fuel filter.  Tuned mixture.  Synced carbs.  Both jugs now within 10 degrees running slightly less than 300.  Never actually found a smoking gun, but after a couple of days in the garage the Retro is tip top.  Thanks again for the advice.  Jeff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users