• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

The rear brake linkage seems to be sticking and the rear brakes will not disengage when I let up on the brake pedal. I have tried penetrating oil but no joy.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

#2 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

The arm and shaft in the final drive need some periodic cleaning and lubrication. With the wheel off you can remove the brake shoes and then remove the nut that holds the lever on. Note the relative positions of the parts, remove the lever and pull the shaft. Clean out the hole and clean the shaft off. Put a thin layer of grease on it and put it all back together. It should move freely now and I think this will fix your problem.

I find it easiest to go ahead and undo the mounting bolts for the final drive and then I can work on it all on a bench. That depends on your level of comfort.

#3 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

Vance,

I looked into the problem yesterday and have been able to isolate it.  It seems that the rear brake pedal is all gummed up.  The next problem for me is getting the shaft apart so I can clean it up and lubricate it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Ted

#4 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Do you mean the shaft the pedal rotates on?  I can't remember how that's assembled, my Retro has a totally different system...

#5 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sidecars

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

thanks Vance! My Retro's rear brake was sticking. Pulled the wheel, brake shows, yep nasty. Cleaned it, put on wd40, wiped it off then put the slightest amount of grease on it. Brakes work as they should again!
2011 Ural Retro
1995/1979 Bural  Sportsman/R100
1988 HD FLHS/Watsonian Cambridge
1951 Servicar

1976 BMW R90/6 Motorvation Royale (Sold Aug 18, 2014)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users