35 replies to this topic

#16 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

I can't see it being a kit bike , It's too correct but does raise the question of how it got into the US.
That front cover has surprised me. It is not unusual though. After the fall of the Soviet Union, the factory was struggling and used a lot of new old stock parts so the markings over country don't really count, it's the latest date that matters on a bike like yours when it comes to dating it. The last batch made in the factory were bound for Cuba and the factory had to buy second hand frames for refurbishing before they could complete the order. That was 10 years after yours was made.

Actually much debate is academic because technically they didn't alter over the years. The manufacture year matters a lot in some areas for tag purposes so you really do need to get some local advice before you approach the authorities.

Good luck with it, a nice bike like that deserves to be used

#17 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:46 AM

View Postdneprlover, on 24 January 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

I can't see it being a kit bike , It's too correct but does raise the question of how it got into the US.
That front cover has surprised me. It is not unusual though. After the fall of the Soviet Union, the factory was struggling and used a lot of new old stock parts so the markings over country don't really count, it's the latest date that matters on a bike like yours when it comes to dating it. The last batch made in the factory were bound for Cuba and the factory had to buy second hand frames for refurbishing before they could complete the order. That was 10 years after yours was made.

Actually much debate is academic because technically they didn't alter over the years. The manufacture year matters a lot in some areas for tag purposes so you really do need to get some local advice before you approach the authorities.

Good luck with it, a nice bike like that deserves to be used

ok.  so here is what i'll do because you guys have my interest beyond peaked.  Tell me what pictures you need and I will take any and every picture needed to identify its date and wether its a kit bike or not  Tomorrow i have all the time in the world so I'll photo all the plastics, stamps and everything I can find.  if there anything I need to remove or whatever and picture, let me know.

#18 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:40 AM

I've been mulling this over and may have to eat humble pie on this one. The steering damper knob is incorrect for a new one and some others own kit bikes with them fitted.

Please look for a month/year stamp on the regulator box and remove the sidecar lights. They will have the last 2digits of a year date cast into the rear of the aluminium base plate. The headlamp shell ill be marked with month and year in a painted circle ( if that is not there, that is a sign it has been repainted) . Do all the wheels match and do they all have 3 holes in them on the drum face away from the brake side?
Ask the previous owner about the history of the bike, did it originate from Ohio for example?

I think only Nevals and Ramco officially imported bikes to the North American continent and the dates of these can be reasonably guaranteed. Anything else appears to be tagged as whatever the owner can get away with .

#19 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

I run them for about 15 minutes or so, just putting around and then stop it and let it totally cool.  I then go again.  You will see the cylinder temps will drop dramatically after 1k or so. She will be fine.
It will last and run well after you break it in gently.
BTW-  I change engine oil about every 200 km during break in.  It is normal to get swarf and fines in the oil at this stage.

It is great fun this....

SB#3
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#20 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:23 AM

While talking about Break-in...let me add...just in case.
Do Not lug the engine...Rpm is less likely to hurt it than lugging.

#21 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

here are some pics I was able to take today.  I spent most the day doing what safety bob suggested, since i live in a very small neighborhood I can only ride it so far and back, I did get ballsy and venture to the liquor store about 1/2 a mile away, everything went perfect.  Really really fun and different to ride, spent the rest of the day installing an electronic ignition on one of my older hondas.

http://imgur.com/a/aT5cr

I was not able to take off the light housing on the sidecar, 3 metal screws correct?  those were a bit rusty and I didn't feel like fooling with it since the weather was nice and the honda needed work.  

The wheels, all 4 are the same with the 3 holes on the opposite side of the brake
, 08:26 PM

also, i noticed the tired still had rubber left over from the mold.  I don't think this thing had ever seen the road before I bought it.

#22 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

Headlamp was made in February 1992. What about the regulator box and generator, any marks on them?

That points cover was used from about 1974 up to the late 1990's. Earlier ones have the 'made in the USSR' written in cyrillic and later ones have the triangle logo with 'made in the Ukraine' on them. Could be old stock.

The wheels are the latest of the 4 variations used by KMZ/Dnepr, in use from about the mid 1980's to the end of production in 2012

#23 propwash

propwash

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

Very similar to my MT11 which I purchased about 15 years ago.  The frame/engine numbers are only a few hundred from mine.  Mine was not a kit bike and I have some paperwork that it was delivered via Canada.  I friend of mine found a MT11 a few years back (complete like yours) and turned out his frame/engine numbers were less than a hundred from mine.  Don't know if they came over at the same time for not.

BTW that front turn signal is not installed correctly.  Get the OPs manual; I believe the MT16 manual is available online.  The engines are the same and so is break-in procedures.  Read and follow.  The procedure is very specific and quite limiting - throttle limiters, speeds in each gear and loads (none) in the sidecar. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Load the family in the sidecar, get out on the road, WOT to keep that truck off your tail as you ascent that hill.... boom

#24 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

View Postpropwash, on 26 January 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Very similar to my MT11 which I purchased about 15 years ago.  The frame/engine numbers are only a few hundred from mine.  Mine was not a kit bike and I have some paperwork that it was delivered via Canada.  I friend of mine found a MT11 a few years back (complete like yours) and turned out his frame/engine numbers were less than a hundred from mine.  Don't know if they came over at the same time for not.

BTW that front turn signal is not installed correctly.  Get the OPs manual; I believe the MT16 manual is available online.  The engines are the same and so is break-in procedures.  Read and follow.  The procedure is very specific and quite limiting - throttle limiters, speeds in each gear and loads (none) in the sidecar. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Load the family in the sidecar, get out on the road, WOT to keep that truck off your tail as you ascent that hill.... boom

Ops manual?  do you have a link?

#25 propwash

propwash

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

http://www.cvkustoms..._ops_manual.pdf

Break-in procedures start on pg 72

#26 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

View Postpropwash, on 26 January 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

http://www.cvkustoms..._ops_manual.pdf

Break-in procedures start on pg 72

BOOM! thanks

#27 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

You should try and make CRAP rally if you can. It's May1st just west of Sanford, NC.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#28 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

View Postguzzidude, on 26 January 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

You should try and make CRAP rally if you can. It's May1st just west of Sanford, NC.

I definitely could make it if I wanted, I'm just not sure about the bike lol...thing is rusty and obviously at this point, not broken in, but me and the wife have family in Columbia SC that we try to visit often so this may be a good excuse.

#29 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

My first year I didn't bring my bike, the last time, the red cloth coil crapped out. I trailered her the last time as a lot do. LOL. Come drink and enjoy!
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#30 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

Oh I would Definitely trailer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnepr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users