35 replies to this topic

#1 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Greeting folks.  new here, first post.  I got the bike in November from a local firefighter who got it from his uncle.  He claimed it ran before he got it and the battery was dead and he accidentally hooked the new one up backwards and fried a wire...this was not the case.

Carbs needed to be rebuild, somebody used a rubber sealant of some sort to make gaskets and the coil was bad.
I replaced both and she lives!  hums like a sewing machine.  I have to admit, the previous owner gave me little information on the bike with the bill of sale.  I don't know exactly what year it is, or what motor it has for that matter...he believes it may be mid to late 70's though.  any help identifying it would be appreciated.  thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/UhkqF

#2 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

My friend, you are the proud owner of an early 90's Dnepr MT11. Not sure about your state, but titling as an older bike may be better for inspections and emissions. Good looking machine. I'm in the process of restoring/modding a twin. Welcome to the foil.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#3 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:12 AM

View Postguzzidude, on 24 January 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

My friend, you are the proud owner of an early 90's Dnepr MT11. Not sure about your state, but titling as an older bike may be better for inspections and emissions. Good looking machine. I'm in the process of restoring/modding a twin. Welcome to the foil.
90's? interesting.  I wonder how the guy came up with 70ish.  I'm gonna post the forum posts he had where somebody supposedly identified its year make.

care to share what the tell tales are?  I'm just learning and I am a friggin sponge for information.

Im in GA not in Atlanta so emissions isn't an issue.

#4 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:32 AM

OK, looked through the printed emails the guy gave me, definitely identified as an mt11 (thanks for reconfirming) but he says 70-80s.  any idea why that may be, what the differences are?

also, am I sitting on a crank thats a ticking time bomb?  The bike is low mileage, 20km at the moment, should I replace that now? or just wait until it goes to shreds?

#5 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:36 AM

I think it is later than 1991 but dating can be difficult. I believe those tank badges were not used in the early 1990's. The same emblem started to appear on the points cover nearer to 2000, prior to that the KMZ emblem was used so that can be a pointer .  Many of the electrical items are actually marked with manufacturing dates and the bike cannot be younger than the latest of these dates if it is an 'as new, unmolested' bike such as yours appears to be. Old dates may be that the factory was simply using old stock.

Headlamp is usually marked with the date in a circle printed on it as is the generator. Sidecar indicaters have the date cast into them on the rear. The regulator  box has an ink stamped month and year if a later 33-3702, or cast into the plastic cover if an earlier model.
What year does the data plate mounted on the headstock , behind the headlamp say, that is usually the definative as people don't usually forge them unless they deliberately want to make the bike look older than it is. A missing plate on a bike as new condition as yours is a warning sign that something is amiss.

#6 Alecu

Alecu

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

wellcome beerob81. The odometer is 20ks as they were delivered from the factory. It could be a late model 90ties or early model 2000s as they only completely stopped assembly 2 years ago but it's actually the frame that gives the age of the bike.

As far as I can see in the pictures the engine and gearbox should also be NOS, a few focused pics will show better.
I have heard new factory Dnepr engines and they sound very sweet, as long as yours doesn't drip a lot of oil from old rubber gaskets, don't mess with it, it's up to you to make it a long runner without deep repair, and it can be.
Use it gently as it might be running in, but once you start using it  use it for a ride at least one day a week.
1963  IMZ M61 rig
1992  KMZ Dnepr MT16
1992  KMZ Dnepr Md 157 Solo
1939 Victoria KR35SN/WH
1941 BMW R12
R1100RS

#7 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

In the US, these bikes were brought over here in parts and assembled later. So when it came time to put them together, you could have parts from all different years and different bikes. Some bikes were brought in through Canada under the Neval name.Does the Vin tag on the steering neck match the numbers on the left rear shock  mount? Does your motor have an oil filter on the right side of the motor?  Also look for what says Made in Russia, CCCP, and Ukraine. Those gauges didn't change style for years, so it's hard to say. Those will help date certain parts. Part of the fun in owning these jewels. Again, nice bike!
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#8 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Agree with all...
You have a nice machine there.  Take breaking it in slow and easy.. Heat and cool cycles should be observed.  I have several MT-11's and have no issue with them.  Those K65Tcarbs you have are sweet.....
Take care of her..
SB#3
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#9 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostSafetyBob, on 24 January 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

Agree with all...
You have a nice machine there.  Take breaking it in slow and easy.. Heat and cool cycles should be observed.  I have several MT-11's and have no issue with them.  Those K65Tcarbs you have are sweet.....
Take care of her..
SB#3

Thanks everybody.  As soon as I have my coffee I'll go out and take a picture of the badges and stamp points you mentioned and post here.  I did see the head badge, couldn't read it very well...i may try putting some paper and rubbing a crayon or pencil across to get the imprint off it.

SafetyBob....could you advise me as far as running it and properly cycling it to break it in?  I want to do this right

Also, i brought it to a shop to have it once overed and had the fluids in it changed and he advised to put a heavier weight in it, so he did.  Is this correct?

#10 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

I would run 20w 50 Dino. Don't listen to people talking about running synthetic. It will just mark it's territory a lot more. lol.  Can't remember off hand the trans (20w50 maybe), but 80/90 in the final drive. Check out Charlie's site, more info than you can shake a stick at. http://cvkustoms.com/index.html

#11 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

View Postguzzidude, on 24 January 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

I would run 20w 50 Dino. Don't listen to people talking about running synthetic. It will just mark it's territory a lot more. lol.  Can't remember off hand the trans (20w50 maybe), but 80/90 in the final drive. Check out Charlie's site, more info than you can shake a stick at. http://cvkustoms.com/index.html

thanks for the link.  I'll be reading a bunch this weekend.

here are the vin plate numbers and the frame and engine stamps.  the frame matches the plate.  thats about all i got so far.
http://imgur.com/a/GUIo1

edit: badge http://imgur.com/dw2syf7

#12 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

That headstock plate is correct for a Ukrainian home market bike .There is no year on it like there would be for an export model.  Home market bikes usually didn't have any frame number stamped on but many customs posts demand one so the plate number is added to the frame to match up, usually yhe engine number matches as well.

Do you now want the good news!!!!!!!! It is not a parts bike , it is a genuine factory built newby but much later than claimed. It has the Dnepr triangle badge on, not the KMZ logo and it was made round about the year 2000 .
could you please post a photo of the front of the engine showing the badge on the ignition cover? Home market bikes did not usually have a canister oil filter on the right side of the engine.

The MT 11 model was made from about 1984-87 to 2012 with not a lot of changes mechanically so most of us can advise you if you need it. As Alecu says, later production was much improved over earlier models and it looks like you might have a good one. Oil use a good quality 20w-50 dino oil in the motor , preferably one with high levels of Zdp for classic vehicles. Gearbox prefers GL4 spec sae 80 gear oil but you can use 20w-50 if you wish. The final drive unit needs EXACTLY 100cc of sae 90 gear oil. DO NOT OVERFILL, otherwise you might lose your rear brake.
Do not worry about the crank, they are pretty good unless lugged with a heavy load. Break it in for at least a thousand klicks before removing the carb restrictor rods and use the gears freely. Enjoy and don't worry

I presume it isn't titled?

#13 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thanks.  Not titled be I'm unsure what to do about that so im going to go to my tag office and ask ans hope for somebody helpful

I glanced at the glass and plastics.  Most everything says CCCP on it and one says made in Ukraine.

Here's the case
http://imgur.com/yzBTDdC

#14 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

If a lot of it says USSR it's likely around a 1990 or older model. I am assuming since there is a Chevy S10 in the background you are from the US. It is rare to have an all original bike that was reassembled over here with all of the original parts. UK folks didn't have the US issues, so they bought them as they were from the factory. If it is an all original, you have a rare bike. Probably an early import, which I heard are of better quality than the later ones like mine. Really they are hard to tell due to the Russians leaving, taking the good stuff and leaving the Ukrainians to fend for themselves. To be safe,don't ask any questions to the tag office yet. PM me, I have been through this in one of the toughest states. You can ask around, its true. Lol

#15 beerob81

beerob81

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

Well I guess I need to dive deeper.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dnepr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users