Dnepr Restoration. Getting it done before CRAP
Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:54 PM
Video (Crappy mind you) Better ones shot since. Don't have access to good computers anymore.
Frame getting stripped. Used steel cup brush on my grinder. Worked nicely. - Paint was thicker on backbone and steering head. (Why?)
IMG_20150117_104119147.jpg 138.91K 19 downloads
Steering lock cut off and hole filled with weld. Backed it with a penny.
IMG_20150117_123339842.jpg 122.89K 23 downloads
Swingarm stripped. Some interesting welds under the thick Ukranian paint.
IMG_20150118_145855433.jpg 141.56K 21 downloads
Sidecar frame down to nothing. Paint was a little tougher here. Welds looked nicer here.
IMG_20150118_180953868.jpg 127.75K 16 downloads
Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:02 PM
IMG_20150120_212142006.jpg 123.91K 13 downloads
As I took off the paint with Jasco, I noticed this sky blue color over red primer. Seems to be the original color of the tank. I think if I lived somewhere that was cold and rainy, I would have a bright color as well.
IMG_20150120_212213435.jpg 446.93K 13 downloads
Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:32 PM
Link to my color question of SS. Think the Canteen is the closest to Russian 4BO green. Green/Brown.
Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:21 PM
Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:23 PM
Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:11 AM
Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:12 AM
Here's some more pics. Got the fenders stripped with Jasco. Interesting how I can tell which parts had the same paint and which ones didn't. Two fenders, the rear and the sidecar (not matching, one Rich sold me) didn't like the cup brush, but liked the chemical stripper, while the front fender stripped off quickly with the brush. It seemed the paint that was more reactive to Acetone mechanically stripped easier. Most of the parts overall were pretty reactive to acetone. The sidecar fender bubbled and peeled almost completely off by itself even though that paint was thick and shiny.
I did an acetone test on the tub even though it had green paint on top of the black. I took a rag and soaked it in acetone and covered it with a plastic bag. It sat there for a little while. It totally lifted the paint down to the metal, so three layers of paint. Pretty interesting.
fender stripped.jpg 235.65K 13 downloads
stripped stuff.jpg 160.02K 18 downloads
Look at this nice alignment job on the triple tree. Had Stolichnaya for lunch?
triplle clamp.jpg 441.25K 19 downloads
Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:57 AM
Jerry Can http://www.sovietste...hp?f=11&t=22281
Everything except the tub is pretty much stripped to nothing. There may be a few little details with sand paper. I found the hardest thing was the tractor seat frames. Since I am not taking them apart, and no mere mortal could without total destruction. lol Every painted surface will be repainted, even the starter, final drive shaft cover, and I even sanded the nice Ukrainian chrome on the handlebar.
The wheels were less difficult than I thought. I used stripper then a brush wheel and my grinder.
IMG_20150126_211741138 (2).jpg 463.75K 18 downloads
The fenders stripped well even though the game plan changed considering the different paint behavior. I then filled the original light mount holes with weld. Will drill new holes as per K650/750 design. Based on pics, since no one has chimed in on location.
IMG_20150126_211756693 (2).jpg 477.91K 19 downloads
Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:00 AM
IMG_20150204_204403151 (2).jpg 454.34K 11 downloads
Around 30 mins or so, the paint bubbles and is pliable enough to scrape right off. If the acetone dries out, so will the paint and it will reharden, lumpy, but hard to scrape, so reapplication is required. Really interesting.
IMG_20150204_213017584 (2).jpg 384.32K 12 downloads
I am going to go next week to take my canteen for sampling at the paint shop. Sallen said they had a paint code scanner. So I hope I can get it close to what I think is the right color, lol. Thread below on color, canteen's it.
Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:55 PM
Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:58 PM
Took the wiring harness and replaced the bulky clips for bullet connectors and heat shrink. I crimped and soldered every one that needed swapped as well as deleted some of the turn signal wire. I also wired and soldered some connections on the K750 light units.
wire bearing controls (1).jpg 361.68K 11 downloads
I also got some tapered steering head bearings from cycleworks.
wire bearing controls (2).jpg 274.33K 10 downloads
I cleaned off the handlebar control housings to repaint black.
Just about got all the dumb stuff done.
March 8th - Sand blast some crevices in the frames and a couple other small places. Painted controls and lever clamps black.
March 15th, Cleaned up the shop and got rid of almost a grocery store bag of stripped and powdered paint. It was getting to look like a forman's office in Matewan, WV (coal joke).
dnepr dust (2).jpg 116.21K 14 downloads
Took apart the fork dampers. Yes the oil in there smelled 50 yrs old. My wife made me take a shower from the smell of that and brake cleaner. The seals actually looked pretty good. Cleveland home-boy was looking for some new rubbers and felt for me, but he has had a time finding some of the parts. The forks didn't leak before, so I am going to slap them back in. I laid them in some stop leak for a few minutes to fatten them up a little even though they dragged the tube. Cleaned everything and going to fill with 30w.
Forks Apart (2).jpg 120.9K 12 downloads
Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:07 PM
Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:17 PM
Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:25 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users