24 replies to this topic

#1 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:29 AM

Hi All, I am brand new here, and brand new to owning a Dnepr.
It was a chance purchase after my wife spotted it on Gumtree just before Xmas and suddenly decided she loved military motorcycles with sidecars!
My only previous experience with bikes is road bikes and enduro bikes, which i stopped tinkering with a couple of years ago and sold.
So, we now have the thing and have to find a way to register it.....I did try to do my homework on this, a prominent motorcycle/sidecar engineer claimed that as long as the bike was standard I would have no trouble and he would only need the bike for a few hours to get it sorted out paper work wise and have us registered for NSW.
So we bought it.
Then when we rang back to ask a few other questions about what was required before brining it to him he made mention of the side car needing to be on the LEFT of the bike, a slight problem for us as the sidecar is on the RIGHT.

So, anybody got any suggestions?
NSW conditional rego through a motorcycle club of some kind?

I'm a pretty handy welder, trade qualified for 15 years, most of that in the offshore oil and gas sector. A complete swap of sidecar from Right to Left has been suggested by 2 engineers, either through them doing it, or coaching me through what needs to be done.
But if I could get it on the road in some fashion, even for limited days per year, without the 5 minute task of completely swapping a side car from Right to Left, that would be pretty good!
Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way!

Attached Files

#2 secondshooter

secondshooter

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Bikes Boats Guns

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

We have a similar problem over here in NZ , our rules are probably different but the chair is an accessory that does not need to be on the bike when it  is registered ( no need to inform anybody if you fit it later on) . I would go through the process as a solo bike then add the chair later

#3 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

Thanks mate, an engineer here mentioned something along those lines too. Looks like I'll be taking to it with the grinder and plasma cutter at some point soon then!

#4 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

verticalnomad:
Remember that if your Dnepr is two-wheel drive, it will not move the rear wheel (if it has a differential) if the side car shaft is removed!
Not so simple to "soloify" such a rig.
~RN

#5 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

Since NZ allows RH chairs, it wouldn't be a problem there. Different Australian states treat sidecars differently. QLD really doesn't worry about cargo sidecars as long as they have lights and reflectors, but passenger carrying sidecars must be inspected and the registration changed. NSW is the strictest state and there are over $1200 in on the spot fines for unregistered/uninsured and a hell of a lot more if it goes to court. Since fitting a sidecar changes the category, fitting a sidecar to a solo (CYC) makes it unregistered and therefore also uninsured. Add the towing fees on top and it gets very expensive, very fast.

A friend of mine in Brisbane was done late last year. He had a cargo sidecar on a solo seat registered bike. No problems. Fitted a seat to the sidecar. Got pulled over for a RBT and they ran a rego check. Results were a defect sticker, ticket for unregistered/uninsured, unauthorised use of number-plate, and the cost of the tray-top to take the outfit home. Since we no longer have rego stickers, they automatically do a rego check on every stop now.

#6 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Yeah NSW is great state to try and do fun stuff in!
Whatever I do it has to be legal in every sense of the word, I am not looking to cut corners or flaunt loop holes. It's either done totally legal or it'll have to find a new home with someone in a state where it can be used.
It just would have been nice if the original engineer who said there were no pitfalls to catch me out as long as the set up was dead standard had mentioned the side car side was an issue.
I know that may be obvious to most of you, but my neighbour used yo be an RTA/RMS employee who did compliance for Individually Constructed Vehicles and even he was un-aware that there was a requirement for the side car to be on the left!

#7 Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

Don't think you have much hope in NSW, as they say, left side correct side, right side suicide.

#8 cossack650

cossack650

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:20 AM

Hello , Swap the rear drive and swingarm with a solo setup. Swapping the sidecar over to the left is not that hard.

#9 Red October

Red October

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles ?

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

Hi Vert and all , I did wonder why this bike was still unregistered after 3  + years in the country, your info explains why, thats probably why he the po didn't rego it himself , I was looking to buy this one myself but you beat me to it. But I now have a nice red  2010 :)

Regards camo

#10 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostRed October, on 23 January 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

Hi Vert and all , I did wonder why this bike was still unregistered after 3  + years in the country, your info explains why, thats probably why he the po didn't rego it himself , I was looking to buy this one myself but you beat me to it. But I now have a nice red  2010 :)

Regards camo

And you also had the sense to enguire about it on SS before taking the plunge and buying it. Possibly the information given there might have given you an inkling that there might be problems with the bike.

#11 Red October

Red October

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles ?

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

I wasnt aware of the problems in NSW , Qld, where I'm from isn't such a pita , but I found a pretty good deal on my bike and on the plus side no work needed for rego and its not really even run in yet :)

#12 Uralee

Uralee

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:55 AM

Late on the scene I know but OZ regs say NO sidecar shall be fitted on the right.......

Seeing Australia litre by litre.......

#13 verticalnomad

verticalnomad

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

Thanks mate! I had kind of already resigned myself to converting it...............I've been dealing with some skin cancer issues since I last posted here but it all looks like it's sorted out now so I can actually make a start on sorting the bike out.
Thanks for everyone's input!

#14 Vishnevsky

Vishnevsky

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Military history and vintage rides, motor bikes (love the vintage look), my hounds and my shootin' irons!

Military history specialty: WWII (GPW), Eastern Front.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

Good luck with the conversion.  Haven't lived in NSW since '88 and not in Oz since '90.  Hope the conversion goes well for you.  I used to live in Leeton and seem to remember someone with a LH drive car but I'm sure the rules for rego are different regarding automobiles.  Too bad there isn't a special classification for imports and vintage rides.  Keep us posted on your endeavours.

#15 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:53 AM

View Postverticalnomad, on 13 July 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

Thanks mate! I had kind of already resigned myself to converting it...............I've been dealing with some skin cancer issues since I last posted here but it all looks like it's sorted out now so I can actually make a start on sorting the bike out.
Thanks for everyone's input!

Spoke to a friend who may be interested in swapping 1WD parts for 2WD parts and sourcing a LH sidecar. PM me if interested in his contact details.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dnepr MB650 NSW Rego, Dnepr NSW Rego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users