#2 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sidecars

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

The ancient history of the forum and Soviet Steeds along with frustrating nature of Ural ownership for the unprepared and average age of this group have a lot to do with those inactive members, especially the inactives from long ago...
2011 Ural Retro
1995/1979 Bural  Sportsman/R100
1988 HD FLHS/Watsonian Cambridge
1951 Servicar

1976 BMW R90/6 Motorvation Royale (Sold Aug 18, 2014)

#3 yatesfly

yatesfly

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles and airplanes

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

I'm still here just old and listen more than I talk these days been told not a bad thing.    Dennis
dnepr MT16,64 hd xlch,71hd xlh, 82 honda gl500

#4 Bruce Thompson

Bruce Thompson

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Well...i can give you at least ONE resaon that a person (say, for instance ....me) doesn't show up on your radar.

Although it does in fact have to to with being active, in my case it's being too active in a variety of other areas which causes me not to be able to do any more than read RI posts and use the references it contains.

For that, I apologize.

But in partial explanation... being a full-time-employed single parent of three kids at home and ten total, my time is DEFINITELY not my own !

But on the bright side, several of my sons and one of my daughters have driven  my 2006 Ural Gear-Up (not just putted around), and many more of them have been "monkeys".

And one son has worked on it a bit as well by doing basic maintenance and cleaning carbs.

So...maybe my next generation will be a little more visible on the list.

By the way...speaking of carbs...any good affordable kits or replacement ideas for the Keihin carbs?

My left one keeps flooding and killing that cylinder, and we've had it apart several times.

No dirt inside (filtered)... float doesn't have any fluid in it...needle and seat doesn't seem to leak with mouth air pressure or when connected to a fuel line and hand-held...and the angle of carb when installed is just like the factory made it.

The float level is not meant to be adjustable like old-school carbs, so i am at a loss except to say that in my aerospace experience, behavior in a static condition is not a guarentee of the same behavior repeating under dynamic conditions, so I am suspicious that the vibrations while running are creating a leakage at the needle/seat, especially at an idle (which is when the flooding/spark plug fouling begins)

-Bruce Thompson

#5 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostBruce Thompson, on 19 December 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

And one son has worked on it a bit as well by doing basic maintenance and cleaning carbs.

So...maybe my next generation will be a little more visible on the list.

By the way...speaking of carbs...any good affordable kits or replacement ideas for the Keihin carbs?

My left one keeps flooding and killing that cylinder, and we've had it apart several times.

No dirt inside (filtered)... float doesn't have any fluid in it...needle and seat doesn't seem to leak with mouth air pressure or when connected to a fuel line and hand-held...and the angle of carb when installed is just like the factory made it.

The float level is not meant to be adjustable like old-school carbs, so i am at a loss except to say that in my aerospace experience, behavior in a static condition is not a guarentee of the same behavior repeating under dynamic conditions, so I am suspicious that the vibrations while running are creating a leakage at the needle/seat, especially at an idle (which is when the flooding/spark plug fouling begins)

-Bruce Thompson

There is Nothing the world wrong with the Keihin CV carb!
2 things come to mind the first is sadly
"And one son has worked on it a bit as well by doing basic maintenance and cleaning carbs"
May need to be checked.
And replacement needles not adjusted...replaced. A bit cheaper than New Carbs!
I have not ever measured my Keihin carb floats...if one overflows I adjust the height. As you have alluded to the dynamics may demand it.
Good luck

#6 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

In exactly  three months, eighteen days, I shall be, by the grace of my maker become eighty two........Have eight kids, five boys, three girls, that followed by 12 grandkids, that followed by five great grand kids, and in warm quiet places with soulful music....who knows...well don't discuss that on the fourm :closedeyes:, got 45 head of beef cattle, 13 chickens, two dogs, and very numrous cycles, cars and other toys of the male culture, have 12 hives of bees, five of which are Russian, seven hives of italians, who eat a lot, give back less than required, and are distained to leave this world ....after they get a Russian Queen, from which they (the Italians) will all be deceased by the end of May. Life is good, brain works most of the time, found out how to contain a low level of diabetis, (diet) starting New years day, want to see 25# gone this year, if you are curious how, look up "wheat belly" on google. Tomorrow is a new day....always, to look forward to new events, new challanges, learn something new, like learning how to use tri-focal glasses, yup they work.......and a world of family  achievements, like my grandaughter, who sent me a blog on facebook, with a copy of the acceptance letter from U of Alabama medical school for the Nurse Practis-in-er program.....that makes my pulse jump!
    Each and every day, I go to work in the shop or farm, keep looking for ways to do things better, I dream about them, and solve some in my dreams also, at this age I am now aware that I am not quite normal......fact is, If I ever write a book, as a couple of my sons point out I should, I will name it that, (Old man, Not Quite Normal) I will do this when the miscus in both knees gives out, and "Sweet Thang" sports a new E-start engine and a crutches carrier in the hack, That shud raise the Fuzzes interest , I've still got one good miscus, so no worry.
Russian Iron...how does one explain it, I know that something deep in my soul finds a need for some thing that is less than perfect...like me, and work to improve it and myself at the same time, and for the last 14 years, since I drifted into this world, it has changed my life,  A richness if you will, of mind and body, learning new skills, and new ideas, I am rich beyond words. For that I have to thank each and every member of Russian Iron, some of whom I have not heard about in years....( Green machine, are you out there? And so at this time of giving back, I wish all a Very Merry Christmas, and of course a Happy New year...
God Bless  .....Ken

#7 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

Ken,
God has blessed you and I with these KMZ beasts that need and give love and pleasure.  I do not know where I would be without them.  Just came in from freezing in the shop... Wet and cold here... You could not rub the grin off of my face with a belt sander.

The pooch and I came into the house to the smell of Christmas cookies in the oven.
Life is good!
SB#3
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#8 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

Ken, :thumbsup!: !!

#9 Serious Black

Serious Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
    History
    Engine tuning

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

Still around but mainly playing with Ducatis at the moment. Angling to get my old Ural back and sell the Chang Jiang back to it's original owner. Life is good, especially after the Doc fished the tumour out the middle of my head last summer, 6 week sick leave in the warmest Norwegian summer on record! The good news was that it was probably the route cause of my ticker problem! The bad bit was crashing my 900SS into a suicidal sheep on a trip over the mountains 3 weeks after the opp! Undamaged but the bike was a mess. After I'd squared things with the sheppard and Sherif I rode into the local garage and bought a roll of duct tape.........

Isn't life fun!
The devil is in the detail.

#10 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

I'm back, with a new hat!

#11 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostDuke of Ural, on 09 April 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Speakin of that...The Grand Boy got him a new hat!
Posted Image

#12 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

View Postracepres, on 10 April 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostDuke of Ural, on 09 April 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Speakin of that...The Grand Boy got him a new hat!
Posted Image
:thumbsup!:

#13 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

Both of those hats look grand. Congrats to the lot of you.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users