6 replies to this topic

#1 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Never really considered this, as part of my Ural adventure, until I found myself with a misfire at rpm and decided to get involved!...Lets just ignore the reasons for a failure, as it would possibly involve too much cybertypin for me...but it is a given that failure does occure...So, it did and I couldn't do nothing about it as I wasn't going to pay millions of euros, postage for an electronic item that had not stood the test of time...as  it was probably made by an underpaid child in a Chinese sweatshop , slaving everyday, and tired, cos don't kid yourselves folks, that is where cheap things come from.
Anyway I digress....I fitted a set of points...second hand, bit burned, fitted car condenser , external Honda Duel spark coil new leads, new plugs...went over it ...
It goes loverly!!...starts first prod every time, and I feel gratified...
Then of course I decided that the Dnepr, needed this as  it is still a pig to start when it feels like it...
So I duly ordered another "mixing bowl of doom" new, as they are cheap...
It arrived ...well I must say, not as plug and play but more of a plug and pray...
The points did not sit  square, the spring was so close to the casing that it would have shorted given a bit of damp, and to top it off the cam  wasn't machined correctly...
Well after a day of fiddling I can say that now it is all OK...butt do take heed anyone who gets these things, they do require checking first at least, and you would have to be at least a bit mechanically competent, with that ol fashioned but today, not common, common sense!!
I do carry an old set of points...but I now know that there will be no failure ,that I cannot sort ignition wise...and it ...(she) will start even with a flat battery.
And if the sun does blow out all of the world with a solar flare, destroyin all electrical gizmos, that I will be able to ride to a place of relative safety...

#2 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Guess I did not know the Dnepr had such a Mixing Bowl of Doom...Thought that was a Ural thing???

#3 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

indeed a strange thing it is! the Dnepr cam fitted the ural...and worked fine, however the new one...a ural cam on all accounts...run like crap!...so I refitted the Dnepr cam...and all is well for todays adventure!!....I must say that it is marvellous the way one can play around with, and retrofit all kinds of thingys and farkles...I wonder if the 2014 models, are the same???...

#4 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

Ural cam shafts some in several different grinds (variety) so it is a crap shoot to install one without knowing if it replicates the needs of your particular engine.
~RN

#5 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

View Postlobofuego, on 24 November 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

.I wonder if the 2014 models, are the same???...

While anything can be Made to Work...I doubt it is an advised procedure!
Unless you want to retrofit EFI...In which case...I know a Guy who can help ya!

#6 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

Sorry for any confusion, I meant the little cam and bobweights  on the points , bowl actuated by the camshaft....wasn't going to remove the camshaft to convert to points!...that may be a bit  overzealous!!....however it is still going well!...

#7 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

Ahah!  More info means better understanding. Thanks.
~RN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users