• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Something I have been thinking about is doing a SaddleSore 1000 ride on my Ural.  Has anyone ever done it or even attempted it and if so, what were your preparations for such a grueling ride?  Thanks.

#2 dcsob

dcsob

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

Saddle sore 1000, preparation? mechanically sound bike, a comfortable seating position, and mental conditioning are most important. make sure you don't have any physical distractions ( seat lump, foot peg off kilter, slight cramping of positioning and the like) because even the most insignificant nuisance will become your entire focus around mile 800. Stay warm and alert, avoid wind noise as it ramps up the fatigue fast, slow and steady gets you through it. It is worth going onto the Iron Butt web site and taking a look at the accumulated wisdom of long distance riders. It's a rigorous deal but you'll get a kick out of it after you catch up on your sleep. Reading through my log book was a hoot ,seeing the deterioration of my already shaky penmanship was enlightening as far as what happens on the road without proper rest. Besides, of all the riders out there not many do the endurance ride and it's a pretty exclusive bunch. If you actually do it,get all your documentation in and approved you have earned your place on the IBA.

#3 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostSpiritwalker, on 01 October 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Something I have been thinking about is doing a SaddleSore 1000 ride on my Ural.  Has anyone ever done it or even attempted it and if so, what were your preparations for such a grueling ride?  Thanks.
Yes, the IronButt 1000 has been successfully completed by a rider on their Ural.
~RN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users