128 replies to this topic

#91 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:19 AM

Attached File  image.jpg   157.36K   7 downloads Ok, here's what I want.  But.....
Attached File  image.jpg   109.76K   7 downloads here's the fuse holder inside.  Hard to take this picture as the damn thing kept falling out :-)
The ignition switch Attached File  image.jpg   190.71K   7 downloads and the same with the fuse holder next to it Attached File  image.jpg   173.23K   6 downloads (as usual, the iPad flips the pictures over so they're upside down...)
How do the two go together?  Is it the wrong switch, as I suspect?

#92 razorlight

razorlight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

I had to re-fit the same headlight set up on my K650, when I got it it didn't have a fuse or generator warning bulb.

The ignition switch needs to be fitted inside the headlamp shell with the 3 screws. Once you've done that you'll see the 2 circular rings through the fuse and generator holes in the shell. Fit the fuse into the holder and put it through the headlamp shell fuse hole and carefully screw it in to the ring underneath. It took a few minutes to get the thread going, but go careful because I reckon the brass thread on the fuse holder would strip very easily going thru the pressed steel ring.

I can't quite see from your pics but there should be bent brass tab with a small hole under each ring on both sides. The pointed end of the fuse fits into the lower hole. You may need to bend the tab carefully to get a good tight pressure on the end of the fuse.

It works more or less the same on the other side when fitting the special generator bulb. The upper end of the bulb fits under the circular ring and the base fits in the small hole on the tab.

Attached Files

1970 Dnepr K650 and sidecar
England

#93 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

Cheers for that Razorlight!  You've answered my question quite succinctly.  I am on the market for a new ignition plate - though I have a ring in the right place, it most definitely will not accept a screwed in fitting.  It is for a bulb, not a fuse holder.  I shall get my order ready for the supplier of choice - there's a bunch of small parts I would like to get....

#94 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:29 AM

While waiting for bits to arrive, I dabbled with the local online auction site......and appear to have bought this http://www.trademe.c...p-377137116.htm
For NZ$36, I feel quite happy.

#95 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:19 AM

Nothing new?

#96 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

No, unfortunately not.  I'm waiting for parts to arrive which is frustrating!  One problem being as far from vendors as one can possibly be.  I've also got house stuff to do - lights, fences, some retaining walls to get sorted - grown up life stuff, as my wife calls it :-)
In between, I am trying to work out how I can get a Dnepr hub onto a 22mm axle.  The change in bearings is the big thing - from a 204 size bearing to a 205 size one.  This is a jump from an internal diameter of 20mm to an ID of 25mm.  The OD goes from 47mm to 52mm - I don't know if that will work.  I would be able to mill out the hub BUT the threaded cap won't work anymore - that's about 52 mm.....  Getting the axle off is more problematic but would solve the issue!

Mind you, saying all that...my final drive could do with some sorting out.  I shall try to start again and start posting.  I have new lights in my garage so I can see again.  I also have a guinea pig sharing the space.....too cold out to leave it on the lawn....

#97 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

Life...

#98 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

View Postluca.stere, on 22 June 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

Life...
Indeed....
I think I have cracked my sidecar wheel bearing issue - 60/22 2RS will work great.  And once again I am hoping there's a parcel waiting for me at work - I always have mornings full of hope!

#99 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:48 AM

Good topic this!!....cant wait to hear it run!!

#100 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

Finally some parts are arriving.  Unfortunately not the parts for the engine or electrics.....just a CJ sidecar back plate and a Dnepr wheel (that was a mistake buying that - sod me the postage was steep!).  I thought I'd get the whole wheel in order to get the sidecar "rolling".  Have to say....the Dnepr rim is.....well....awful.  Worse than awful!  But the hub sure does polish up well :-)

#101 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

Finally a parcel arrived!  
Thought some of you might be interested in the Moto Boxer 12 volt conversion.
20150802 141644  Here they are side by side - the 6 volt standard dynamo and the modified Fiat dynamo.

20150802 141520 20150802 141405

Here's what they look like on the bike.
The M-B dynamo doesn't have an eccentric shaft but the face plate is machined so that the gear can be meshed properly.
20150802 141713
This does mean there might be a small gap 'twixt dynamo and engine - we'll see when I have it all mounted properly.
20150802 142219

I've also got to make a fitting rear mount

20150802 142226
On the headlight front - I am sorted there :-)

20150802 142658 20150802 142608

The fuse holder now screws into the headlight as it should.  I wonder where and what the old ignition plate was from.....never mind - into the spares box it goes!
20150802 142639 20150802 142634

You can see my difficulty with the fuse holder - there's nowhere to screw it into with my old plate.
Anyway, slowly slowly doing things.  House needs some stuff doing to it - that'll divert a large amount of money.  I think I might resolve to get the Ural done by 2017 - my 50th birthday (hopefully it'll be quicker....).

#102 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

Mike, nothing new at your bike?

#103 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:01 AM

Hi Lazar.....got to apologise but house and family got in the way.  Bad news was a couple of skin cancers appeared, good news is that they were spotted early so got the cut out and that's that for them.  Holes were quite big for such small spots but I'm healthy as a fiddle now.
Off to China and Malaysia in 10 days for a long holiday - when I return the aural project restarts (assuming the house leaves me some spare money!)
I sometimes wish I was rich in money sometimes as opposed to rich in family life and love....but I guess the latter is more fulfilling :-)

#104 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

I understand and I am glad that you are ok now. Get well and go in vacation, the bike can wait!

#105 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:31 AM

:-)
I do have things to get ready - I want to get sidecar mounts fitted to the other side for having a sidecar on the right hand side.  I also want to beef up the front saddle mount.  I'll get at done when I return so the frame can hold the engine.  Gearbox can be properly looked at along with diff then added to the frame.  Painting has been done so big bits can go back together.  I want to redo front forks to make them react to bumps - seriously they need it.  I could replace them with solid rods and not notice the difference!  What did Russians use for springs??  2016 Distinguished Gentlemans Ride in Auckland will see an M66 :-). I hope.....
Why change the sidecar mounts?  Well, to fit the Steib, of course.  My daughters are telling me it needs to be done....  It's a learning curve...bought a wheel nut then wondered why it wouldn't fit.  Of course, the axle thread is different on a lhd outfit otherwise the wheel would more readily fall off!
Oh, and top tip for pale folk in hot countries - check your skin!  Seriously.  Don't need to tell the Aussies and Kiwis out there, of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users