#31 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   233.95K   11 downloads. Front bearing in
Attached File  image.jpg   221.67K   10 downloads. Rear bearing plate with bearing in.  New bolts with loctite and spring washers.  I torqued them in using a small torque wrench....went to 120 inch pounds which works out to be 10 ft lbs.  Never comfortable putting a lot of force on a bolt going into an alloy bolt hole!

Right, now to wire lock the front as before, then wait for new bits to arrive.  Then I can tackle the flywheel, posts of which are not as smooth as I'd like them to be.

#32 haj

haj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Dnepr, bicycles, computers, history.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

Distinguished Gentlemans Ride ? What's with all the mods on motorcycles? Their vespas broke down?
--
Dnepr K750 1956 (it says on the polish papers, damn lies! must be from the 60's)
Living in cold Copenhagen/Denmark

#33 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

View Posthaj, on 28 October 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

Distinguished Gentlemans Ride ? What's with all the mods on motorcycles? Their vespas broke down?
:-D
Meant to look like toffs out on a motorcycle jaunt.  I went a kilometre or two in my tweed jacket but near froze to death.  Put my wax cotton jacket back on after that! September isn't the best month for that sort of riding here....springtime so pretty unpredictable weather.  
Highlight for me was winning a helmet on a raffle.  Ok, a scooter helmet, but retro enough to use on my BMW :-)
One of the ads for the DGR shows a Ural - I think it's Luke's M63 with Duna sidecar which he made as a leaner.

#34 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

Parcels slowly coming in

20141029 130809
Hoping this works as well as it looks :-)  I believe it's derived from a Moskvich clutch idea others have used before.  Anyway, on sale on eBay via here http://www.ebay.com/...=item35dddeeb37

#35 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

Things to do while waiting for other parts.....rocker arm seemed very stiff so I took it apart
20141104 073154
Just a smidge of hear on the posts to get it to come apart.  You can see the flat bit on the shaft where I guess oil feeds the bush inside the rocker arm itself

20141104 073215
Things to do now is flatten off the tops of the posts where the bolt has eaten into it.  I'll put washers there when reassembling the heads (I saw Mr Cob's entry in ADVRider...). I also see one place sells shims to use instead of wavy washers.  Wonder if this is worth it - have asked them for postage costs to NZ.  Link here http://www.modtopper...RockerShims.htm  I might also have a go cleaning up the rocker arm casting - it's rather rough.  Not a performance mod - just something to while away the time waiting for parts I need to arrive....

#36 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

^^ You'll Not catch me Using Wavy washers anyplace...Noplace ...Ever.
Hate 'em!!!!!!

#37 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:58 AM

Not even a 40 year old wavy washer?  One from the Brezhnev era??

;-P

#38 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:54 AM

Well, parcel from Oldtimer finally arrived :-). Think that was ordered at the end of October.  I was giddy with excitement as it had a replacement camshaft that should have had clearance for the new followers that I put in.  

You know that feeling of doom in the pit of your stomach when you unwrap something you've waited 6 weeks for and you can see that there's something amiss?  Well, that's what I felt today - camshaft oil gear was remarkably similar to the one I already have.  The one that doesn't fit.  I need a gear of about 5mm, I think, yet now I have 3 camshafts with 10mm gears.  Due to small children in the vicinity (I don't want my daughters to learn swearing just yet....), I refrained from rude words.....but I thought them, I thought them in my head real loud!
Just to confirm, is the oil pump gear on a newer Ural 5mm?  I have a feeling my best option now is to machine off the excess gear - I can't wait another 6 weeks for the correct camshaft.
On top of all that, seems I said something Modtop took offence to.  Dunno why but correspondence dried up....seems my money wasn't welcome.  Never mind.....how hard can rocker shims be to find?  Does anyone know what alternatives I can look for?  Something easily found in Australasia would be good!

#39 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostMike Goldthorpe, on 01 December 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

Just to confirm, is the oil pump gear on a newer Ural 5mm?

Yes it is, I think the latest Ural 650 engines. Funy, I have a new camshaft with a 5mm oil pump gear that I have ordered by mistake ( I need the old model with 10mm gear). If you want we can make an exchange. I will put some pictures later if you are interested and it will not take 6 weeks to arrive.

#40 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

Luca, that would be a life saver :-)  Just to confirm, the camshaft with the 10mm gear I have is this one.  The one I think I need is this one.  I'll take pictures of the two spares I have and post them to you via a PM - they're both a bit shop worn, though most of the crud on them seems to be grease.  I'll try and pretty them up.
Luckily the weather is improving and holidays are coming so I should be able to work on other bits of the bike, ready for the great "Putting it all together" event :-D
Annoying as I looked hard and thought I made sure I was ordering the right gear!

#41 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:59 AM

This are the pictures with the new camshaft, if you want I can make also some measurement. At a first look are the same camshafts but as you already know when you try to assemble you see the differences:

Attached File  20141201_213732.jpg   118.34K   21 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213754.jpg   105.6K   22 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213804.jpg   55.58K   16 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213829.jpg   61.45K   12 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213835.jpg   73.79K   11 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213840.jpg   66.49K   10 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213846.jpg   52.31K   10 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213852.jpg   62.94K   10 downloads

Attached File  20141201_213859.jpg   70.79K   9 downloads

#42 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:03 AM

View PostMike Goldthorpe, on 01 December 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Luca, that would be a life saver :-)  Just to confirm, the camshaft with the 10mm gear I have is this one.  

Yes, this is the one that I need.

#43 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:32 AM

Attached File  image.jpg   272.5K   9 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   288.55K   12 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   245.95K   9 downloads
Here's my spares selection.  The on on the right (if oil pump gear is at the bottom - ipad playing up.  If pump gear is at the top of the picture, it's the one on the left) is the Oldtimer one. The other one is a cheap deal off ebay.  I can send both to you along with the camshaft followers.  I'll not need them - if you don't need them either, pass them on to someone who does.  It's almost Christmas, after all :-).  If you would like both cams, let me know - I'll pack them.  Otherwise one will get modified here for my bike as a spare.
PM me your address, I'll reply with mine and send off my parcel before the weekend.  Luckily I work across the road from a post office :-)

#44 Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:34 AM

better identification - Oldtimer Garage cam is one without the bearing.

#45 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostMike Goldthorpe, on 02 December 2014 - 02:32 AM, said:

Attachment image.jpgAttachment image.jpgAttachment image.jpg
Here's my spares selection.  The on on the right (if oil pump gear is at the bottom - ipad playing up.  If pump gear is at the top of the picture, it's the one on the left) is the Oldtimer one. The other one is a cheap deal off ebay.  I can send both to you along with the camshaft followers.  I'll not need them - if you don't need them either, pass them on to someone who does.  It's almost Christmas, after all :-).  If you would like both cams, let me know - I'll pack them.  Otherwise one will get modified here for my bike as a spare.
PM me your address, I'll reply with mine and send off my parcel before the weekend.  Luckily I work across the road from a post office :-)

Ok, send me the extra parts only if you have a good price for shipping, I don't want you to pay to much because you are already to kind. I am sending you by PM my adress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users