28 replies to this topic

#16 Duckyde

Duckyde

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hope to make it, a lot of things going on so may just come out for the day.  Would be great to see everyone again.
.....boldly going nowhere....

#17 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sidecars

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

Wow, all the camping cabins are rented. I am in site D9 or 10... Looks like we are filling the place up on a Holiday (Columbus Day, used to be a holiday anyhow) Weekend! See you all Friday afternoon.

As "Beth" is telling me the cancellation routine I told her "ma'am, if the Ural breaks plan B is the Harley rig, if that doesn't work will be in the truck!"

See you all Friday, I'll be on the Retro more than likely.
2011 Ural Retro
1995/1979 Bural  Sportsman/R100
1988 HD FLHS/Watsonian Cambridge
1951 Servicar

1976 BMW R90/6 Motorvation Royale (Sold Aug 18, 2014)

#18 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with three wheels and motors!

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

Donna and I reserved site CC2. Right next to where we were last year. See you all Friday!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery
"Your Ass Will Thank You"
2003 Ural Retro Custom Rig "Oleysia"

#19 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

We are packed and ready to go. No bike this year. Couldn't get a good bleed on the Guzzi's rear brake after changing out the lines yesterday. So we'll tow our tny camper down like last year. Bringing some home brewed "Kitty Hawk Porter" to share too!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#20 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

GRRR...The Tourist is dead.  No lights, no nothing - even with a new battery and it looks like all the fuses are ok, even the bastard under the tank (which I have yet to reconnect...)

So, debating whether to ride the BMW or drag up the Tourist and hope the collective brillance of the FART can resurrect the Ural.  I guess since I got a bunch of Balitika I'd best trailer in.
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#21 Glenn Hamilton

Glenn Hamilton

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:The bikes.
    Photography and vintage Soviet-era cameras.
    Analog music (tapes and LP's) and vintage Hi-Fi gear.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Greetings FARTsters!

Below is the local weather report for the weekend. Looks damp, but with plenty of room for riding and fun around the edges.

Friday’s disturbance will quickly move off to the east on Saturday, but the front will hang tough over the area which will keep the threat of showers and a few thundershowers going. It should be noted, though, that neither day looks like a complete washout.

Saturday night into Sunday, high pressure will try to wedge down the Appalachians. The strength of the wedge is still unclear, but lots of clouds, some spotty light rain, and patchy fog is in the cards then. If the wedge ends up not as strong, we would be looking at a bit more sunshine and less rain/fog.

A few more details about the itinerary for the rally:

I plan on being at Rally Central 1:00 on Friday to setup. At 5:30 all are welcome to ride with me to the Monte Vista Hotel for dinner. Pulled pork sliders are the special tomorrow - I highly recommend. Salads available for non-carnivores.

Mike and Karen Jones are providing a light breakfast on Saturday morning. At about 10:30 we will head out for a 60 mile (2 1/2 hour) ride through the country to Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack for lunch. Nice ride with plenty of curves. We'll pass shacks and mansions while we ride past a geyser, over mountains and through rolling farmland. Only about 2 miles of very well maintained gravel road on the route. After lunch we'll take the shortcut and hightail it to the campground in 25 minutes to beat the afternoon rain.

Chili at FART Central on Saturday night or you can dine out at one of the local restaurants. Awards ceremony following dinner.

Come what may, we'll have plenty hot coffee, cold beer, and good company. See you tomorrow!

Mark, you should drag the Tourist. Don't forget the beer. :smile:
Glenn   Not an Admin. Honorary title only. ;)

Russian Bikes
Present:1997 Tourist, 2002 Bavarian Classic Solo
Past: 1995 Solo, 2003 Retro Solo

#22 Rich Maund

Rich Maund

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Mark. Check the ground wire and the disconnect switch if your bike has one of those! I have seen poor grounds kill bikes before. I'm sure your Beemer will be well received there. Us peasants like seeing space ships from time to time. I'm sure we won't chase you off with pitch forks!
Rich Maund
Rich's Cycle Upholstery

#23 Mark_MB750M

Mark_MB750M

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

Rich - well, like Glenn says I should bring the beer...I think the ground is ok - there's a battery from negative to under the seat that feels tight, and a wire from there down to the engine case near the right footpeg that also seems tight.  Not sure where other grounds might be, and I don't think I have the disconnect switch.
Current:
2002 Ural Tourist
2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK

Previous:
2000 BMW RT1100RT
1975 MB-750M
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Honda Pan-European (ST1100)
1977 Honda CB750F

#24 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

Bike's fine but I'm under the weather and Becky is on a business trip, so have a good time for us!

#25 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

Glenn posted on Steeds! Anything for the rally! Sorry, I just could not resist!
Here is a teaser video. A long one of the epic ride is coming!
I think this is called Andrews Geyser.

2011 Ural Retro
1951 Servicar

#26 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

and here is the 1st long video. Dirt starts around 19:35, road section still good and full of Urals, Bepers, an HD and a Buell...

Video should be viewable around 2AM EDST 10/14. It's pretty large.
2011 Ural Retro
1951 Servicar

#27 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

and here are parts 2 ,3 and 4 of the ride video. 2 and 4 have dirt sections, all have great scenery and lots of Urals....

2011 Ural Retro
1951 Servicar

#28 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

and the 4th one...

2011 Ural Retro
1951 Servicar

#29 Glenn Hamilton

Glenn Hamilton

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:The bikes.
    Photography and vintage Soviet-era cameras.
    Analog music (tapes and LP's) and vintage Hi-Fi gear.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

Good times, FARTsters!

Thanks for coming. I appreciate everybody pitching in and making this such a great rally: Mike and Karen for the breakfast buffet. Lori for the pancakes and eggs. Mark and Rick for the Rooskie beer. David for the cool registration board. Bernie and Dag for firewood. This list goes on. What a terrific group effort.

Prizes drawn at the awards ceremony included a sexy Baltica bottle opener from Rick and a special Mystery Prize (I still don't know what it was) from David and Crystal.

Special awards were given to a select few who the Prize Committee deemed noteworthy due to the high standards they bring to the FART experience.

Big James - Autographed photo of Svetlana Pistonova. James rides more miles everyday before breakfast than I ride in a month. And then, after breakfast, he rides even more.

Dag- Autographed photo of Svetlana Pistonova. When Dag rides his Ural, he takes his other motorcycle for a ride in the sidecar. Top that.

Rich Maund - Beer Stein. Rich won for the best Homebrew Beer (a new prize category that I made up on the spot). Hey, I live in Beer City USA. Lots of homebrew has been foisted on me over the years. I'm here to tell you that Rich's brew is the real deal. Seriously good sh*t.

Rudy aka Muzzleflash - Container of Anti-Monkey-Butt Powder and a Can Cooler. Rudy rode his Ural 360 Miles (his buddy and wingman Emmett on a Harley) in the POURING RAIN to FART. Of course, no biggie to a guy who just rode his Ural across the country and back.

Richard Winter - Copy of the book, "Shop Class as Soul Craft" and a can cooler. Richard won the Soulful Wrench Award hands-down. You can see that he loves machinery and it loves him right back. Generous to a fault - he kicks it old-school and keeps it real. The kind of genuine biker that can stay up all night swapping stories with the Nekkid Hillbilly (ask Rich) and then do another day of riding and wrenching as if he'd had 8 hours of snooze time. He can do it because he loves it.

A few pics. Most are from Chip Ritchie. He has a new Facebook page, Southeastern Ural Riders, and he wants you to be his Facebook friend there.

Attached File  Chip and Frank Fart.jpg   181.79K   2 downloads

Attached File  fart2.jpg   232.12K   2 downloads

Attached File  fart4.jpg   189.71K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0834.jpg   316.46K   4 downloads

One more thing. David (Deco), Mike (Bavarian Classic) and me on a '97 Tourist held our 650cc flag high and proud on the rides! There is some life left in those old beasts!

Michelle and I are already planning the ride and food for next year. See you there! :smile:
Glenn   Not an Admin. Honorary title only. ;)

Russian Bikes
Present:1997 Tourist, 2002 Bavarian Classic Solo
Past: 1995 Solo, 2003 Retro Solo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FART, Rally, Asheville, North Carolina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users