Dnepr & Ural Ignitions

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 C5Paul

C5Paul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:My family, collecting motorcycles, and riding motorcycles/snowmobiles.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Every Japanese motorcycle I have owned (well over 50 and probably closer to 100) have coils mounted under the fuel tank. On my Ural I have the new coil mounted under the seat above my battery since there was plenty of room to stash it there.
I am not concerned about heat generated from the coil being "on" when riding, but certainly know external heat from being enclosed inside the nose cover is not healthy for them. Now that I have the rusty tank, dirty carbs, Russian ignition problems sorted, I look forward to another freezing Wisconsin winter so I can see just how well my Solo starts after sitting in a snow drift over night.

#17 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

electronic ignition died on me...only a partial fail so made it back home on the old 2004 ural...have fitted  points again !! as these do not fail in a manner which I cannot fix.....was almost considering getting one of those chevy points plates...but considering the price, did not...fitted a set from a Dnepr, I had in the shed...so essentially was wondering how much your ignition would be, without coils of which I have aplenty....

#18 C5Paul

C5Paul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:My family, collecting motorcycles, and riding motorcycles/snowmobiles.

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

View Postlobofuego, on 02 November 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

electronic ignition died on me...only a partial fail so made it back home on the old 2004 ural...have fitted  points again !! as these do not fail in a manner which I cannot fix.....was almost considering getting one of those chevy points plates...but considering the price, did not...fitted a set from a Dnepr, I had in the shed...so essentially was wondering how much your ignition would be, without coils of which I have aplenty....

I know you have talked with Ken about this. Our C5 kit has a special coil and you must use it with the ignition module.
Our Dnepr kit (also fits Ural before 2009) is $375 plus freight. The kit for newer Urals is $385.
Both kits come with ignition (2 curves provided), adapter plate, multiple sparking coil, coil leads, coil mount, and color instructions.

#19 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

What I have done...having a house 4horses 3dogs and a wife to support....is to make all my bits from what I have....a had a set of points from a 94 Dnepr....so I fitted them to my 2004 ural...The wonder of all that is that I could!...and it runs great...never did start on the kickstart before, as it never did...now I can!!!..so well going to give it a go like this, will when I get richer, and have bought my exhausts, carbs, and bits I really need(!!) an when it does not threaten  my happily married life...I will Buy one of these units!...Thankyou

#20 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

The acid test is coming, I have always dreamed of a trip, or camping outing in winter on a Dnepr, or even a ural, BUT there is always the chance it may not start after a cold night in the woods, as my youth quietly slides away I have modified that dream,to a yard test of winter weather, front yard faces NW, and in winter the snow piles up, and the wind howls around the cornor. So I am going to park "Sweet Thang out there for a three day storm predicted for this week,  Snow depth of up to sixteen inchs are predicted, and lows of 10 F. Then the test, with the C5 ignition, will the C5  fire "Sweet Thang" up, as smartly as the  warmer temps of the deep south, we shall see. There will be no cooking with fire as done in WW2, to get the M-72's fired up, this will be a tickler, one enrichener pulled, key on, and count the the kicks required......stay tuned..... my guess is two or three, I hope for one, we will see......Ken :smileywaving:

#21 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

It's here, an inch of snow in last hour, and for the next 36 hours the storm here is to be the equal of the November 11th storm of 1940, where when I was a very young boy, many people were  caught out and parished,  In the good old days, comications were only a blip of what they are today, we had a hand crank phone, which went out when the lines went down, and a 5 tube Coranado  table radio, than came on and off , when the electricity came and went. From the bee,s dad had ,we had a small supply of bee,s wax.
mom and dad sat down and made candles that ran out three days later.  Wood stove kept us warm, and no school, snowmen and sleding, and sking kept us entertained....how times change......Ken :smileywaving:

#22 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

View PostKen Ulrich, on 05 October 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

so like the 35 amp Ural alternators, I place them on the anvil, and with a four pound hammer let fly, does a body good to make scrap now and then....Ken

Ken they make the most interesting paper weights. Don't bust em up. Send them to me. I hafta grade 90 kids' worth. Lol

Just for giggles. I love points.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#23 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

Guzzi, I'll keep you in mind, ........And at 8:30 pm, the temp here is a balmy 30 F., In Knowlton,Wi. It is drizzleing rain, Sweet Thang has iccles drooping form everywhere, Hella way to treat my sweetie. The storm seems to be tracking further north, than predicted.. Oh well ,iccles and 10F. is test enough, they are still holding out for heavy snow tomorrow.....Ken :smileywaving:

#24 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

Ken. You know how to lay it on. I know you sold used Yugo's. Lol. Keep warm up there.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#25 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

I wore out two Yugos, comuting 189 miles each way to Minneapolis, as people know (some) they were a Fiat, I think it was an 810, I was told that yougosliva had no auto production, so Fiat sold them a complete design, it was a tough little can, that would move, got pretty good gas milage , but like many over there cars, it had rotten electrical system.  The salt on the road world really get to them, in the wires,  grease them and  in the brakes, sand blast and paint. I only paid 3600 and 700 for them, and between the two I drove about 145,000 miles, not too bad.  So when it came to Dneprs, I had already been there.....Ken :smileywaving:

#26 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

"Sweet Thang" is out in the cold, had a coat of freezing rain, three inches of wet snow, temp is now 23, and going down, latter part of the week , looking for 10 Deg F. Then we shall see how well the ignition functions, later this winter, we will try the below zero test, 0 deg., then -10, -20 and so on, at that point my bravery will disappear, I am sure.....Ken :smileywaving:

#27 SafetyBob

SafetyBob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Ken,
I too had 2 Yugo's..  Both were tan outside and inside.  Both ran like a top.. Really no issues with them at all.  Took a lot of ribbing about them.
Stay warm my friend...
SB#3
Dnepr- So Much Fun- It's addictive!
MT-11 Solo- "Nadia"
MT-11 "Yellow Bear"
MT-9 "Boo Bear"
K-750 Flathead
MT-11 "Gumbo"
Ural M 70 Solo
Ural Patrol
95 Ural Tourist

#28 C5Paul

C5Paul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on 11 November 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

"Sweet Thang" is out in the cold, had a coat of freezing rain, three inches of wet snow, temp is now 23, and going down, latter part of the week , looking for 10 Deg F. Then we shall see how well the ignition functions, later this winter, we will try the below zero test, 0 deg., then -10, -20 and so on, at that point my bravery will disappear, I am sure.....Ken :smileywaving:

I was at my storage unit the other day and decided to attempt a cold weather start (I live near Ken and it was about 15 degrees out). I must kick start since the battery is old and weak but it always worked on in the summer. My bike has not been run since October. I kicked with key off a few times to get the 20W50 oil stirring, but it did start!

Perhaps not a real test since the bike has thick summer grade oil and sat for 4 months, but i did NOT drain the carb bowls and it still started.

I'm pleased, and the other day my truck did not start due to cold weather, so at least I can take the Ural if a storm comes :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users